Racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racism

It's amazing how many people do not know the meaning of this word.

I'm Cuban.

As is Senator Cruz.

Yet so many HATE US.

The only thing I can think is that because we are Cuban we are hated.

I mean it cannot be because of our viewpoints, it has to be as a result of our race right?

Re: Racism

Do you live in Cuba, or the US?

I lived near Miami for a while, and there were some amazing, wonderful Cubanos. There was also a lot of prejudice against them from some of the other folks from Central and South America.

On the whole, I don't think the average American really knows a darn thing about Cuba anymore. For most of us, the embargo has lasted for so long that no one really things about it and remembers it.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Come to LA and mix in with all of us Latinos! We can't tell one from each other.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I dislike Cruz because he's a hypocrite with questionable values and a vote in congress...I could care less what his heritage is.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Liandrin View Post
          It's amazing how many people do not know the meaning of this word.
          I'm Cuban.
          As is Senator Cruz.
          Yet so many HATE US.
          The only thing I can think is that because we are Cuban we are hated.
          I mean it cannot be because of our viewpoints, it has to be as a result of our race right?
          I could not care less what race you are. I don't like the communist thing, but meh. Even that doesn't hurt my feelings much.

Could I say I think racists are assholes without getting in trouble?

If you think people hate Cubans, I'm sorry. I certainly don't. If someone does, that isn't right at all.
          I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Comment

I think the problem with "Racism" is that it often is used as an excuse. I dislike or hate person A who happens to be of color so suddenly it just has to be I hate all people of that particular race. Just can not pause to consider that it is a one on one thing but has to be a racial thing. In many ways a sterotype application being applied by both sides in deciding how an action is supposed to be viewed.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

One of my dearest friends is a Cuban Jew. His family owned a successful business in Havana and left because of Castro, came to the US and did well.
              I was just old enough to overhear bits & pieces of the Cuban Missile Crisis (5, I think) and used to look under the bed every night for Castro - I was always scared of him, but somehow I didn't associate him with Cubans, just with something "bad".
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                I think the problem with "Racism" is that it often is used as an excuse. .
                I live and work in relatively remote aboriginal communities of northern south Australia, and racism is always used as an excuse, and it shits me. Those kids have no idea what racism even is. But they pull it out for all kinda of bulllshit.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  I live and work in relatively remote aboriginal communities of northern south Australia, and racism is always used as an excuse, and it shits me. Those kids have no idea what racism even is. But they pull it out for all kinda of bulllshit.
                  That shit happens here all the time.
                  Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

I'm not racist i hate all people equally

But yes i think racism is used as an excuse now adays. personally i dot give a shit about it. i say what i need to say to a person and if they wanna try and play the racist card doesnt bother me one bit. in fact i remember it being done once and i told the guy "i don't hate you cos your a paki i hate you because your a dirty smelly (see you next tuesday) with a supirioty complex. who cant be arsed to get off his arse and do a proper job" or words to that effect more or less. but apparently the dirty smelly bit was racism

Comment

Racism is the tool of the excuse maker, and the sad reality of the ignorant. I know that although I am not racist, some of my extended family members are, and its not so much an "excuse" against anyone, its just blind ignorance. They were taught by parents to dislike people of certain races, and so the cycle continued.

One should be based on their personal merits, not on what their race is "like."

Comment

I have the sincerest hope that the racism we still face today will be on the losing side of history. I'm reading a book right now about the Japanese Canadian Redress movement in Canada, which was the movement to redress their wrongful uprooting and internment during WWII. It goes into the history of Japanese immigrants and Japanese Canadians and how they were treated before the War. They weren't allowed to vote or hold legal professions, even if they were born in Canada and had citizenship. There were a lot of quotes from laws, court proceedings, and press statements about Japanese, Chinese, and Indian people ("Orientals" and "Hindus"...nice language there). It was just amazing to read about the fear that people had that these racial groups would "take over" and that they'd never assimilate. From today's perspective on the west coast it just seems ridiculous. There are so many people who are either Asia immigrants or of Asian or half Asian descent in Vancouver that the group nearly overshadows Caucasians, and you know what? IT DOESN'T MATTER. Technically, the fears of those people in the early part of the century came true and people of Asian descent are becoming the majority, and the city isn't any worse off for it. In fact, many people (myself included) love the multicultural fabric of Vancouver. Asians are a very large group, but there are people from all over the world there and it's such a great place to be because of it.

It also talked about how people thought that having people of Asian descent in politics would ruin the country or something. This almost seems hilarious now, just because it's clearly so stupid.

Anyway, I hope that all racism kind of becomes like that. That white people aren't the "dominant" race or culture (even in places where caucasians have higher numbers) and that it doesn't matter, and that everyone can look back on racism and say "what were they so afraid of?"

Comment

I dunno... My defenition of racism is hating a whole nation.
                          I try to hate nobody, and to give respect to the surrounding people. But this lasts until the moment when people prove their non-worthness of this respect.
                          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Racism is a man made behavior...It wouldn't exist if it weren't for injustice and unfairness in the world. So we might as well discuss them first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
                              Racism is a man made behavior...It wouldn't exist if it weren't for injustice and unfairness in the world. So we might as well discuss them first.
                              I think it is something to overcome, but its not a mad-made behavior. All animals are "racist" to some extent. We actually have to overcome our natural inclinations to be distrustful outside our family group to be in an integrated society. I think realizing that makes it something easier to get past.

Comment

Working...
                              X