Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malaysian Film Portrays Norse/Heathen Religion in Negative Light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malaysian Film Portrays Norse/Heathen Religion in Negative Light?

I may not be a Heathen myself, but I happened to notice this while surfing the web: http://www.medievalists.net/2013/10/...iew-vikingdom/

Apparently, there is a Malaysian film that will be coming out in certain US cities that is loosely based on Norse myth. In it, a risen from the dead viking has to stop the "evil forces" of Thor so that they can't capture Odin's Horn and take over the world. Apparently it has raised controversy over showing Norse religion in a fairly negative (and unrealistic) light.

Was just curious if any of the Heathens here had heard of it, or what they think of the premise of such a film? Is it just a bolly-wood film using creative license on religion, or is it going too far?

Just for giggles, assuming Thor did take over the world, how would you react?

Re: Malaysian Film Portrays Norse/Heathen Religion in Negative Light?

I've heard of it. And I've read the controversy over it but....meh. It's not really something I can see myself getting worked up about.

As for Thor taking over the world...As long as it doesn't mean I have to do paper work I'm all for it :P
    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I've never heard of this before so I just watched the trailer and yea... not realistic... Although I'm more amused than offended. "A journey to Hell and back" (cough) Hel???? (cough) and "Thor's" awesome red beard lol nuff said.

Like the Thor movies, it doesn't offend me at all, its just the media, "just a movie". Other religions (Christianity in particular) also have films that incorrectly portray their beliefs and no one thinks twice about it. Just another way for those in the film industry to make money.

And assuming Thor is taking over the world. We're gunna need more mead, a lot more lol.

Comment

Eh, I'd say it's fine to mess around with mythologies. IMO mythology is man's way of trying to rationalize how divinities work with limited knowledge and are probably rarely correct. You see anime messing with christianity all the time, for instance, and it's just trying to take stories that have been told in the past and putting an interesting spin on something. Plus, there are probably negatives to all religions. Trying to ignore them all and just get too easily offended is like saying you've closed your mind off to learning. So I'd say, let people who see pantheons in nonreligious light take a stab at it and twist it up a little bit. You might learn something you'd miss otherwise.

Comment

1) I cannot see how it can be any worse than that ridiculous Marvel stuff.
          2) Concidering how... erm, childish many politicians in various parts of the world are acting right now, Thor taking over can imo only be a step forward. I mean I would love to see certain politicians argue with with him, could be all sorts of entertaining.
          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Unus Mundus View Post
            I may not be a Heathen myself, but I happened to notice this while surfing the web: http://www.medievalists.net/2013/10/...iew-vikingdom/

Apparently, there is a Malaysian film that will be coming out in certain US cities that is loosely based on Norse myth. In it, a risen from the dead viking has to stop the "evil forces" of Thor so that they can't capture Odin's Horn and take over the world. Apparently it has raised controversy over showing Norse religion in a fairly negative (and unrealistic) light.

Was just curious if any of the Heathens here had heard of it, or what they think of the premise of such a film? Is it just a bolly-wood film using creative license on religion, or is it going too far?

Just for giggles, assuming Thor did take over the world, how would you react?
            Who so ever came up with this concept and script ought to be ashamed to the point where they feel the need to go into exile on top a mountain with sharp jagged cliffs. Not only for slighting the name of Thor but for sheer unforgivable, possibly damnation worthy ignorance the likes of which one can scarcely find outside of a Westborough Baptist Church congregation. One can only imagine the sort of insane misconceptions this can lead to.

Comment

It looks like they've stopped picking on Hellenes with those stupid Clash of the Titan movies and started doing it to Heathens. :P Yay for half naked men running around and dueling arrogant gods.

Comment

Awesome!
                I like bad sci-fi and fantasy movies, and this looks bad

I have no problems with the content, I think its fine for people to adapt stories and myths if they so wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic discord View Post
                  Awesome!
                  I like bad sci-fi and fantasy movies, and this looks bad

I have no problems with the content, I think its fine for people to adapt stories and myths if they so wish.
                  So you like people spreading horrendously erroneous information around?

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
                    I guess its the battle between accuracy and entertainment, I more prefer accuracy myself.

Comment

hehe, this is good.
                      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                      sigpic
                      In Days of yore,
                      From Britain's shore
                      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                      And planted firm Britannia's flag
                      On Canada's fair domain.
                      Here may it wave,
                      Our boast, our pride
                      And joined in love together,
                      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
                        I hate erroneous information its one reason why I dislike Wikipedia and "nutritionists" .But this is a work of fiction its not selling itself as truth.
                        And lets be honest, given how much information in religion is UPG or based on tenuous interpretations of old biased and erroneous/taken out of context texts, its hard to criticize the movie makers too much.

They have set out to make a fun action packed fantasy movie that some elements from European myth and religion to help attract viewers and give them something to relate too.
                        Besides Odin was a necromancer, and he has a huge army of once dead warriors

Comment

It's funny that there are people who are getting upset/annoyed with this movie, but I've never once heard anyone complain about the Final Fantasy series of games, the MMO Aion, or even various anime series. All of which have taken aspects of Norse mythology (as well as many others) and twisted, changed, embellished, and warped the stories to their own ends. I think it has more to do with the fact that Germanic/Nordic legends are viewed as the most "exotic" to those from eastern cultures, just as many from Europe and the Americas view the Asian and Eastern legends.

The only thing about this movie that I find offensive is ...

Dominic Purcell. He's a much better actor than to have to take on a role like this, unless he's doing it for the sheer fun of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                            It's funny that there are people who are getting upset/annoyed with this movie, but I've never once heard anyone complain about the Final Fantasy series of games, the MMO Aion, or even various anime series. All of which have taken aspects of Norse mythology (as well as many others) and twisted, changed, embellished, and warped the stories to their own ends. I think it has more to do with the fact that Germanic/Nordic legends are viewed as the most "exotic" to those from eastern cultures, just as many from Europe and the Americas view the Asian and Eastern legends.
                            That thought only brings up Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok lol
                            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                            sigpic

Comment

Hahaha, Thor's neon beard XD

Comment

Working...
                              X