Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malaysian Film Portrays Norse/Heathen Religion in Negative Light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Malaysian Film Portrays Norse/Heathen Religion in Negative Light?

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
    Okay, maybe blasphemous was a poor choice of words. I rescind my complaint, and leave heretical in it's place. I always get those two confused.
    No worries lol

I didn't mean to sound picky, it's just not a fact that most people are aware of. Hubby and I actually really enjoyed Legion, specifically because it challenged the accepted belief and was much more accurate than any other movie depicting angels has ever been.

It's funny... I don't mind all these films and shows we've been talking about that paint deities in a negative light, but movies that paint angels in a wholesomely beneficent light annoy me. Isn't that strange? lol

Comment

I loved SG-1, right up until Vala joined up and they started against the Ori.
      Glad I'm not the only one who hated that whole storyline, only got a few episodes into season 9 (I think it was, where the Ori appeared) before I got bored and skipped ahead to Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
        My issue with all of this is that no one would ever ever ever make a fictional movie portraying Jesus as a hippie and Judas as a bad-ass zombie killer. Even if such a movie was made it'd never make it into a theater. But any movie showing Zeus as a petty monster feeding off the fear of worshipers or Thor a tye-dyed megalomaniac have the opportunity to be box office hits. That sort of double standard is what gets me going. If one god if fair game then they all are no if ands or buts.

I wouldn't know about movies, I don't watch that many, but have anyone read the manga version of the New Testament? Rofl

Btw Claude could you give a bit more information on that movie, it's fairly difficult to find from what you supplied. Was it released in June or was it an old one that ran on TV or...?
        Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Looks cheesy as can be...i'm in. I love these cheesy action films. Probably why I love the 80's action movies so much and the Expendables, Rambo, A-team, etc...of today.

I view it as entertainment, nothing more. Some wings, burgers and beers and i'm good.

Comment

The film Claude was talking about is "Flukt" ("Escape" in English). It's not really a Viking film, as it happens after the Plague (1349). However it's kinda cool, rather gritty (as norwegian films tend to be this last decade). And Gaahl (from Wardruna, Trelldom, God Seed and Gorgoroth) is in it

As for the Malaysian...thing... it looks so cheap and cheesy I can't possibly be offended or irritated at it ^^.
            I'm much more upset by movies that pretend to be an accurate depiction of heathen faith or viking lifestyle. I could never watch Pathfinder for example; hulking great Warhammer-Chaos Warrior berserkers massacring innocent Indians? REALLY??
            Last edited by Kviskrar; 10 Oct 2013, 23:00.
            "The idea is to be whispering, and not to gain the attention from the flock, but to get attention from the individuals. That's why I relate it to whispering. It's not something you can put on a big scale; you can't get sheep to attend to it. You need to have people who can stand for themselves. It is important to have a lot of space for yourself to be able to grow strong branches, which can stand in the most extreme surroundings."

Gaahl

Comment

Originally posted by Kviskrar View Post
              As for the Malaysian...thing... it looks so cheap and cheesy I can't possibly be offended or irritated at it ^^.
              I'm much more upset by movies that pretend to be an accurate depiction of heathen faith or viking lifestyle. I could never watch Pathfinder for example; hulking great Warhammer-Chaos Warrior berserkers massacring innocent Indians? REALLY??
              Yes but Karl Urban was in it... and Clancy Brown makes a very good Warhammer-Chaos beserker lol And the Skyrim style costuming... horribly innacurate and ridiculous storyline it may have had, but it was visually beautiful lol

Comment

Well, I guess having Eomer in the lead role is a point in its favour
                It's just that I always resented the movie, as when the norsemen arrived in Canada (as settlers), they apparently got their asses repeatedly kicked by truckloads of angry nativce-americans. Showing the vikings as merciless monstrous killing machines assaulting innocent indians seems a bit unfair.
                "The idea is to be whispering, and not to gain the attention from the flock, but to get attention from the individuals. That's why I relate it to whispering. It's not something you can put on a big scale; you can't get sheep to attend to it. You need to have people who can stand for themselves. It is important to have a lot of space for yourself to be able to grow strong branches, which can stand in the most extreme surroundings."

Gaahl

Comment

You know, years ago, my mom and I watched King Arthur with Clive Owens. In it the Saxons were blood thirsty invaders, the leader of which was a racist sonofabitch. My mom, knowing I'm Heathen, turned to me and asked, "Does this portrayal bother you?" I just shrugged and said "No. Even if history wasn't a bloody affair to begin with, it IS just a movie." And we went back to happily watching.
                  "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                    You know, years ago, my mom and I watched King Arthur with Clive Owens. In it the Saxons were blood thirsty invaders, the leader of which was a racist sonofabitch. My mom, knowing I'm Heathen, turned to me and asked, "Does this portrayal bother you?" I just shrugged and said "No. Even if history wasn't a bloody affair to begin with, it IS just a movie." And we went back to happily watching.
                    I thought that movie was the greatest when I was younger! lol. I do agree though about the leader of the saxon invaders. "don't touch their women" riiiiiiight. The bloodthirsty part was accurate I think for the most part, but their purpose for invading, conquest? I think not! The rapin and the pillagin and the "glory". Were there even very many anglo-saxon encounters before the fall of Rome? According to history channel vikings didn't even arrive in England til well after the church had taken hold of north-western Europe.

Speaking of which, did anybody else watch Vikings?

Lastly, I would love it if someone could make an accurate film adaptation of the Volsung saga. Wouldn't that just be epic?

biggest prob was the saxons lost to a bunch of anglos led by a roman! lol just kidding =P

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post

Lastly, I would love it if someone could make an accurate film adaptation of the Volsung saga. Wouldn't that just be epic?
                      Theres a 16 hour opera for that!
                      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                      Seen the desert and the birds
                      You cut your hair short
                      Like a shush to an insult
                      The world had been yelling
                      Since the day you were born
                      Revolting with anger
                      While it smiled like it was cute
                      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                        Theres a 16 hour opera for that!
                        proper adaption of the Volsung saga, or any of the other saga's for that matter.
                        Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                          proper adaption of the Volsung saga, or any of the other saga's for that matter.
                          haha I know! Still an amazing piece of art! I was devastated when I discovered it properly, about 3 weeks after the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra performed the whole thing. (Did I mention I studied music at uni?)

But yes I also agree with Chris, and you.

As an aside, who's read Stephen Grundy's Rhinesgold? I LOVE that book, to bits. I read it every year. But is it fairly accurate? Or contain a lot of poetic license?
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

From Rae'ya
                            Besides... forgetting the mythology for a minute... who's ever seen a historically accurate Viking film? Ever? My favourite so far is 'Outlander' and it has aliens in it. I've simply given up hope for an accurate and respectful Viking or Norse mythology film.
                            My choice for this would be The 13th Warrior..

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                              That would be interesting, the Volsung could make a good series to adapt.

The Eddas would not work, and any attempt at portraying them would most likely just end up as odinist propaganda.

I do like 13th warrior though , one of my fav films

Comment

Originally posted by Airelas View Post
                                My choice for this would be The 13th Warrior..
                                I must admit I never watched this because it looks silly on the packaging and I'm not a big fan of Banderas... but several people have counted this among their favourites so I may just have to watch it lol

Comment

Working...
                                X