Cogan's Dystrophy / Map-Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cogan's Dystrophy / Map-Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy

A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with this condition. It's pretty common from what I've read so far, which I think - sadly - caused me to not take it seriously enough until a few days ago when I found it extremely difficult to drive at night due to the light sensitivity. Normal reflective surfaces that shouldn't be a problem almost seemed like little needle pricks to my eyes. It was very difficult to concentrate as I was constantly blinking.

Even though I neglected taking enough care of my eyes, I don't think I did any serious damage that can't be reversed but will leave that up to my eye doctor to determine when I return home next week.

I'm not going to ask for prayers because I don't think I need those (yet?) but I did want to ask for some advice or tips/tricks from those of you whom are familiar with this condition and either have it or know someone who's dealing with it. Artificial tears are my first line of defense, according to my doc and from what I've read. I used to have some but, as stated, I've neglected the upkeep and am currently planning on buying some later today when I head to town. Is there a certain brand people might recommend? I don't wear contacts but have glasses that I wear when reading, doing a lot of computer work or night time driving.

I have a hard time using eye drops, so I'd be very grateful for some ideas on how to help with using them regularly. They just feel so weird to put in...and so far, the only way I've been able to manage using drops is by putting them in at the corner of my eyes while looking in the opposite direction, but for some reason I don't feel like the drops get distributed properly to the cornea and that everything just flows out of the eye. Help?

Also, this site explains what Cogan's Dystrophy is pretty well:
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Cogan's Dystrophy / Map-Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy

I have to use artificial tears because rosacea has affected my eyes. My trick is to (gently) squeeze my bottom lid with my fingers into a little pocket, drop the drops in the 'pocket' and roll my eyes around. I do get a lot of spillage, but it works.

Some people have better luck with the thicker, gel-type eye drops that act like an ointment. You don't have to re-apply them as often. My eyes are normally too dry to let the gel coat my eyes. It just sits there like a pile of goo and I blink it out.

My eye doc explained that there are glands in the lower lid that you can massage (it works best after using a warm compress on your eyes) to help stimulate them to secrete more oil. There are glands on the upper lids, too, right behind your eyelashes, but it's easier to massage the lower lids for most people (styes are actually blocked, infected glands).
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Re: Cogan's Dystrophy / Map-Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy

I have to use eye drops because of my laser surgery...I like systane. At night, I use their night time lubricating gel, and then as needed I use their regular drops. I put them in pretty much like perze mentioned because I don't like anything coming at my eye either!
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X