History Channel's "Vikings"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History Channel's "Vikings"

To go along with that thread about the movie with Thor taking of the world, did anybody else watch the series vikings?

If so, what did you think?

Personally I'm not sure I liked it very much. I felt that it put a somewhat negative spin on the viking culture, particularly after that episode with all the sacrificing. I felt that history focused to much on creating a story that would boost their ratings, and not nearly enough on facts and important details. Only the most basic or "shocking" aspects of the Heathen faith were shown. While I appreciated the attempt to bring Heathens and our ancient culture to national attention, I feel like it did more harm than good.

But outside of that it was kinda a cool show.

Re: History Channel's "Vikings"

We've been meaning to watch it, it has pretty great ratings.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

No one would watch a show about plowing and milking and sheep shearing and fishing and weaving and cooking.

OK, I would, but such a show wouldn't win it's time slot in ratings, even on PBS, much less on a cable channel. Yeah, I yelled at the TV at least a couple times each episode, but I still liked it.
      Last edited by Rick; 11 Oct 2013, 19:52.
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        No one would watch a show about plowing and milking and sheep shearing and fishing and weaving and cooking.

OK, I would, but such a show wouldn't win it's time slot in ratings, even on PBS, much less on a cable channel. Yeah, I yelled at the TV at least a couple times each episode, but I still liked it.
        But looook!!!
        This is exactly what Norwegians like to watch on TV:

You'd really enjoy the one about building a fire....
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          But looook!!!

What can I say, I find the processes of history fascinating. As to the show about building a fire, I'm firmly in the 'bark down' camp...
          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

It was a classic, wasn't it? Mind you, I would probably get on better with the knitting. And as for Mr Penry.... well, his idea of a bonfire is something that takes out the entire mountainside!
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It was a classic, wasn't it? Mind you, I would probably get on better with the knitting. And as for Mr Penry.... well, his idea of a bonfire is something that takes out the entire mountainside!
              If you can't see it from space, it ain't a bonfire...

Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

But looook!!!

Aaaand apparently we Danes are not alone. Thanks Tyllua
                Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

In the USA, there's a similar cable program called Mountain Men, which is successful by cable standards, but the most watched show on the planet is still NCIS, which has shoot-outs, car chases and explosions. I like historical how-to shows, but I like explosions, too...

Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

Comment

I watched a few of the shows but I for whatever reason stopped watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post
                      To go along with that thread about the movie with Thor taking of the world, did anybody else watch the series vikings?

Personally I'm not sure I liked it very much. I felt that it put a somewhat negative spin on the viking culture, particularly after that episode with all the sacrificing. I felt that history focused to much on creating a story that would boost their ratings, and not nearly enough on facts and important details. Only the most basic or "shocking" aspects of the Heathen faith were shown. While I appreciated the attempt to bring Heathens and our ancient culture to national attention, I feel like it did more harm than good.

I got about two episodes in and lost interest. Can't really say why... just the inaccuracies and the feel of the show didn't interest me. It's possible I just didn't give it long enough to get started, but meh.

I would also. We have several about homesteading and living sustainably that pretty much boil down to plowing, milking, butchering, making sausages, fishing, vegetables and selling it all at the market. lol. Gourmet Farmer is a particular favourite of my mum and I.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                        I would also. We have several about homesteading and living sustainably that pretty much boil down to plowing, milking, butchering, making sausages, fishing, vegetables and selling it all at the market. lol. Gourmet Farmer is a particular favourite of my mum and I.
                        I watched an episode of Gourmet Farmer once that dealt with sourdough, but I just cannot get my loaves to rise at ALL, so I've given up.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                          I watched an episode of Gourmet Farmer once that dealt with sourdough, but I just cannot get my loaves to rise at ALL, so I've given up.
                          Good sourdough takes several days to make. Plus you have to have the right yeast culture to start with... and you treat that baby like a... well a baby lol. Sourdough culture/starter is a living entity... and it that sense it's a bit more like making alcohol than bread, at least in the initial stages.

Anyway... we love Gourmet Farmer lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                            Good sourdough takes several days to make. Plus you have to have the right yeast culture to start with... and you treat that baby like a... well a baby lol. Sourdough culture/starter is a living entity... and it that sense it's a bit more like making alcohol than bread, at least in the initial stages.

Anyway... we love Gourmet Farmer lol.

Yeah I know, I used some of my friends starter, and she gets fine loaves. And I took all the time it should need, but no dice....

RIP

You cut your hair short
                            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post

If you pay close attention to what they're saying.about the sacrifices, you'll hear that it's.for a holiday and notes regular thing and every one sacrifice is important to the God it is for, still it does seem negative portrayal

Comment

Working...
                              X