Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Downtime (October 2013)

Hello all,

As some - or most - of you may have noticed, the forum was down for a considerable amount of time. I was upgrading the forum to the most recent software rev for the vBulletin 4.x.x line, which is what we use.

During the install, I ran into a few snags that unfortunately contributed to the amount of time the forum was offline. Some may even have seen some of the php errors I encountered, or may have been given a "cannot find site" error.

Due to the unusually high volume of hearing this question: "Was the forum hacked?" I felt it was important that I stress this:

No, Pagan Forum has not been hacked. Not today, not last week, not last month. As a matter of fact, the one time PF was hacked, we were under different ownership and also used an older version of SMF.
    There were some attacks of vBulletin forums in early September, however, our community was not one them. We did, however, immediately implement a temporary fix until this most recent upgrade was released, which addressed the security loophole that the vBulletin QA team identified.

That said, welcome back to the forum and thanks for your patience.

~Juniper and the PF Staff
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Forum Downtime (October 2013)

Glad to hear these great news
    But I can't see some of the links above, such as FAQs, Rules, Chat...
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I ran into some compatibility issues with the upgrade and so we lost a few features such as the tabs at the top and the chat. I've managed to get some of the other stuff back. Like the shoutbox was broken and there were still a few PHP errors in some areas of the forum that got wonky.

I will be spending more time on getting those features back up and running, tomorrow after work.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      Sneak Attack

Comment

Glad to be back

Comment

Tonight's forum downtime was a direct result of me messing something up while trying to figure out why the chat won't work.

I have come to the conclusion that until my host catches us (the server we are on) up to php5.4, we may not be able to use the Ajax Chatroom that we have been using. I am currently looking into chatroom alternatives so bear with me until I get this figured out.

I am very sorry for causing the downtime but am thankful that you have been patient with me.

I do not anticipate any more downtime for the remainder of the week. I will work on finding chatroom alternatives and will attempt another chat room install on the weekend.
          Sneak Attack

Comment

I rarely check in here. but I am glad things are ok. you are doing a good job here.
            Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

Yay glad all went well. Don't worry about it Juni shit happens lol
              hey btw, question, is this also the reason why i don't see anyone's signature anymore, including my own? Just trying to figure out if I'm the only one having the issue, so I can fix it, if it's my browser or something else etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
                Yay glad all went well. Don't worry about it Juni shit happens lol
                hey btw, question, is this also the reason why i don't see anyone's signature anymore, including my own? Just trying to figure out if I'm the only one having the issue, so I can fix it, if it's my browser or something else etc.
                Are you using full (browser) version or mobile/forum runner version?
                Sneak Attack

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                  Are you using full (browser) version or mobile/forum runner version?
                  full browser version. I'm actually at my Desktop, nothing changed, but one day I just stopped seeing everyone's siggy, including my own. First I thought it was in the settings, but when I went there, it wont even let me change nor access my current signature. I have no idea what happened lol I'm at a loss -_-'

Comment

full browser version. I'm actually at my Desktop, nothing changed, but one day I just stopped seeing everyone's siggy, including my own. First I thought it was in the settings, but when I went there, it wont even let me change nor access my current signature. I have no idea what happened lol I'm at a loss -_-'
                    What error message are you getting? And which browser are you using? And did this start after I upgraded the forum rev or before?
                    Sneak Attack

Comment

Sorry if my question about vBulletin being hacked was beating a dead horse - if anyone else said anything about it I totally missed it.

Comment

What error message are you getting? And which browser are you using? And did this start after I upgraded the forum rev or before?
                        It started at the same time the chat was gone and I use Chrome...no error message, just a bunch of missing siggy's. And I have good news, I can see everyone's siggy again including my own. Randomly just reappeared YAY !!!!!!!!! Unless of course you had something to do with this miracle Juni, then THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU very much!!!!

Comment

Glad to hear that everything worked out~ yay!
                          It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                          -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

It started at the same time the chat was gone and I use Chrome...no error message, just a bunch of missing siggy's. And I have good news, I can see everyone's siggy again including my own. Randomly just reappeared YAY !!!!!!!!! Unless of course you had something to do with this miracle Juni, then THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU very much!!!!
                            Yeah sorry, I did have something to do with that. Signatures were turned off for you in your settings. I was curious what error you are (or were) getting, or what was happening when you tried to access your signature settings, before it was working again.
                            Sneak Attack

Comment

Yeah sorry, I did have something to do with that. Signatures were turned off for you in your settings. I was curious what error you are (or were) getting, or what was happening when you tried to access your signature settings, before it was working again.
                              it's fine, really I'm just glad it wasn't my computer. It's been giving me issues lately...one more problem with it and I would have jumped up against a wall. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X