Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Shamanic Journey and Drumming: How Important Is It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shamanic Journey and Drumming: How Important Is It?

As I've been researching the absolutely overwhelming and simultaneously vague amount of information out there on shamanism I seem to keep coming across the use of drums during shamanic journies. Though many people seem to swear by it and many cultures find it invaluable I'm not sold. I've tried listening to various drumming tracks (many specifically for shamanic use) during my experiments and to be honest it just doesn't work for me. I find the sound distracting, uncomfortable and annoying at times. The point is to have a repetitive steady sound I understand but, uhg, I just don't like it. However, I have been very successful in my sessions whenever I listen to Tibetan monks chanting or some other kind of ambient throat singing. It's absolutely beautiful but has a quality that makes it easy for me to forget it's even playing in my headphones.

I guess my main question is, how necessary are drums for a shamanist and is it okay to substitute something else like this?

Re: The Shamanic Journey and Drumming: How Important Is It?

The general goal of shamanic trance and journeying is to reach an 'altered state of consciousness' (ASC).

Drumming in a certain range of beats per minute (bpm) is conducive for some people to enter an ASC. That is all.

For some people it doesn't do anything. There are many different techniques to hit an ASC - like fasting, sleep deprivation, dancing or other forms of physical exertion, sex, drinking, drugs, etc. - so if drumming doesn't work for you, try something else
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dust View Post
      ..I guess my main question is, how necessary are drums for a shamanist and is it okay to substitute something else like this?
      The simple answer is no they are not the only method of achieving journey. The thing that many forget though is that drums are an intricle part of the total social and cultural mindset for most shamanic type practices based upon traditional influences. Especially those based about a true first nation or aboriginal peoples cultural and social norms. More non first nation or aboriginal methods include sensory deprivation, fasting, drug inducement, breathing, etc.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

In Seidhr practice, ASC are achieved via chanting/singing. So yes that is fine if it works for you. However, if you're claiming to practice a specific type/path and that type/path uses drumming, then I think things would get sticky.
        "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Dust View Post
          I guess my main question is, how necessary are drums for a shamanist and is it okay to substitute something else like this?
          Drumming is absolutely not necessary at all for a shamanist and it is definitely okay to use something else instead.

As the others have said, there are other ways of achieving a trance state conducive to journeying. Music is just one of the many ways... and it includes simple percussion, drums, rattles, chanting, clubbing music (most dance music is trance-inducing for a lot of people), resonance and singing. Throat singing would definitely work for some.

Other methods (mostly covered by the other responders) are things like breath work, fasting, sensory deprivation, drugs, alcohol, asceticism, scourging, extreme temperatures, sleep deprivation, repetitive movement, dance (with or without music), walking, rocking, pain, sex, solitude, deep relaxation... the list is endless. Essentially, anything that puts you into an altered state of consciousness has the potential to put you into a trance state.

Just remember that what makes it shamanic is where you are going and what you are doing with that trance state. Otherwise you are just trancing. Most shamanic work is done in trance, not in meditation. And while Innerworlds work can be loosely considered 'shamanic' just be careful about cultural appropriation. I agree with Vigdisdotter... if you're claiming a specific tradition which utilises a specific method to the exclusion of others, then you should learn to use that method, even if it's harder.

One of the hardest things for a shamanist to do is learn to walk the path without causing disrespect to the cultures they've drawn inspiration from.

Comment

Working...
          X