This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lego

This build will not be something that is recognizable by most people.

It is a vibratory hammer (pile driver) and power unit, built to the same scale as the trucks previously posted.

Specifically, it is an ICE Model 44. It is a 16,000lb vibratory hammer/driver, and the big green box that contains the Caterpillar diesel engine, hydraulic pump, and control panel. As of yet, I have not figured out a good solution for the hydraulic hoses that connect the hammer to power unit... so, as of right now, they stand alone.

I work for a foundation-pier drilling company, in an area where the ground is sand, and located in very close proximity to the coast... meaning, often times, we are drilling into a layer of quicksand. We have to drive a pipe into the ground, and drill inside that pipe. We then fill the pipe with concrete, and pull the pipe back out of the ground (before the concrete hardens). The pipe keeps the hole from collapsing before the concrete is poured.

This is the device that allows us to do that.

Here is the hammer and power unit together

Here is the power unit with doors open, showing engine and control panel

Here is the power unit with the engine exposed (US Quarter for scale) and the hammer in my hand, also for scale.

Finally... all loaded up for delivery
    Last edited by ThorsSon; 05 Nov 2013, 02:11.
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Heavy tow truck... Yellowed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
        I'm not into them anymore (Hands too big for those little pieces.)
        I realize this is a little belated... but I kinda felt like this needed to be replied to.

2013-11-06 01.25.44.jpg

That tow truck in my hand contains 151 Lego bricks.

Big hands, tiny parts.

Comment

0_0 thats a lotta bricks for one small truck
          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
            I realize this is a little belated... but I kinda felt like this needed to be replied to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2510[/ATTACH]

That tow truck in my hand contains 151 Lego bricks.

Big hands, tiny parts.
            Holey moley!
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

This has been a long time in coming... I can't wait to unveil my Mobile Crane.

This is by far my favorite, thus far. I impressed myself with the level of detail in this tiny model.

5.75 inches in length. 182 LEGO bricks... check out the last pic for visual scale.

Please check it out. If I may, I'd say she's f*ing awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Oh, those are awesome!
              Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner.

Thanks. I'm very proud of them.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              The hubby is getting back into lego since the kids are getting into it. Phee just wishes there was less girly girl stuff and more boy stuff with "cool colors"
              Not sure that it gets any more "boy stuff" than my big rigs and construction equipment.

Comment

I would like to go on the record and say those are really cool and you are totally insane. I missed that.

Anyway, mostly, I wish I had my castle Legos from back in the day. I'd never let my kid touch them until she was old enough to put down a security deposit. Alas, they are long gone.

Comment

This has been a long time in coming... I can't wait to unveil my Mobile Crane.

This is by far my favorite, thus far. I impressed myself with the level of detail in this tiny model.

5.75 inches in length. 182 LEGO bricks... check out the last pic for visual scale.

Please check it out. If I may, I'd say she's f*ing awesome.
                  These just get better & better

And I'm so curious about your 'Master Plan'... Whatever it is will most likely be epic.

Comment

Those trucks look fantastic! My kids (well, me too actually) are HP mad and they build amazing Malfoy mansions and Weasley houses and things out of their imaginations then I get to spend all day being The Dark Lord and Draco Malfoy ... ah, the joys of Home Ed! ... so, yes, I love lego!

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                      I would like to go on the record and say those are really cool and you are totally insane. I missed that.

Anyway, mostly, I wish I had my castle Legos from back in the day. I'd never let my kid touch them until she was old enough to put down a security deposit. Alas, they are long gone.
                      Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your Castle LEGO. I still what little Classic Castle I had as a child, but I was more into the Blacktron space sets, so I have a lot more of those than the Class Castle.

But, nowadays, they are all just parts fodder for the MOCs I build now. (MOC: term used among adult LEGO fans, meaning "My Own Creation.")

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                      These just get better & better

And I'm so curious about your 'Master Plan'... Whatever it is will most likely be epic.
                      It's nothing major. I'm just working toward building a construction site scene. Next step toward that will be building replicas of the drill trucks that I use at work... but that is on hold until I finish a side project. My 9 year old cousin has been begging me to teach him how to build trucks like mine. So, I have designed a slightly simpler truck with a hopper-bottom grain trailer, and purchased new (not used) parts needed to complete the model, and am working on making building instructions. When done, I will package it all up, and put it in his stocking for Christmas. But that is currently my priority project, due to getting close to time.

Originally posted by Little Corbie View Post
                      Those trucks look fantastic! My kids (well, me too actually) are HP mad and they build amazing Malfoy mansions and Weasley houses and things out of their imaginations then I get to spend all day being The Dark Lord and Draco Malfoy ... ah, the joys of Home Ed! ... so, yes, I love lego!
                      Thank you!
                      LEGO, in my opinion, s a great thing for kids to grow up with, I think that they teach problem solving, support creativity and imagination, and produce real, tangible results for their efforts.

And for adults, at least for me, it is an excellent stress reliever, and pick-me-up. It is impossible not to smile when you hear and feel that "click" as to bricks are attached to each other... and it is impossible to be in a bad mood when playing with LEGO.

Comment

The Blue Roadster in the front is from an official LEGO set. Anyone care to guess what the ratio of pieces contained in it VS the pieces contained in my tow truck is? I was surprised:

Answer over here, along with more comparative photos.

Comment

The Blue Roadster in the front is from an official LEGO set. Anyone care to guess what the ratio of pieces contained in it VS the pieces contained in my tow truck is? I was surprised:

Answer over here, along with more comparative photos.
                          I would have guessed that your truck had more pieces. It just looks like you used smaller bricks & blocks. But the car seems to have more specialized pieces (like dat steering wheel. What's up with that?!) so it's kind of hard to tell. I also figured capitalism into the mix. If LEGO wanted to get more bang for its buck, it would probably have a higher price & fewer blocks in the kits just to even out people who bought kits for parts vs buying the buckets of blocks or getting used blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                            I would have guessed that your truck had more pieces. It just looks like you used smaller bricks & blocks. But the car seems to have more specialized pieces (like dat steering wheel. What's up with that?!) so it's kind of hard to tell. I also figured capitalism into the mix. If LEGO wanted to get more bang for its buck, it would probably have a higher price & fewer blocks in the kits just to even out people who bought kits for parts vs buying the buckets of blocks or getting used blocks.
                            Fair enough. I just found it amusing that a 8-stud-wide model of a 2 seater sports car has fewer parts than my 4-stud-wide model of a Peterbilt heavy tow truck... especially since the car is from the Creator series, which focuses on more sophisticated building techniques, and avoids using large single-use, pre-formed specialized pieces.

But, in fairness, some of the specialized pieces contained in this set, are what I was wanting, such as the blue slope pieces in the hood, the ring pieces used for mirrors (I use those for my fuel tanks)... that and I just needed more blue parts, in variety, and after doing some comparing, this model got me the most of the things I needed for the money... so I bought all 4 of the sets my local Wal-Mart had in stock.

Comment

It is impossible not to smile when you hear and feel that "click" as to bricks are attached to each other... and it is impossible to be in a bad mood when playing with LEGO.
                              - Definitely!

Comment

...My 9 year old cousin has been begging me to teach him how to build trucks like mine. So, I have designed a slightly simpler truck with a hopper-bottom grain trailer, and purchased new (not used) parts needed to complete the model, and am working on making building instructions. When done, I will package it all up, and put it in his stocking for Christmas. But that is currently my priority project, due to getting close to time...
                                Prototype is built. Parts are purchased. Instructions are finished... Just need to finish designing the packaging.

Comment

Working...
                                X