Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy Scount Leaders Destroy 170-Million-Year-Old Rock Formation

Nov 2005
    Religion
    Pagan Polytheist, primarily Dionysian

Boy Scount Leaders Destroy 170-Million-Year-Old Rock Formation

http://www.hulu.com/watch/547471?pla...sset_scope=all

Not only are they stupid enough to record this and then upload it to the Internet, but LISTEN TO WHY THEY SAY THEY DID IT.

I need to go lie down now.

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Re: Boy Scount Leaders Destroy 170-Million-Year-Old Rock Formation

Stupid is as stupid does I suppose but this is just unreal. Makes me sad I spent years as a leader teaching how we are supposed to respect the land and all and stuff like this undermines all of us. I think they should be charged with destruction and prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. I also think the Scouts should release a statement about this and how it does not support their goals and ethics.

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

I think they should be made to put it back, just like it was... without a crane...
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

May 2013
    Religion
    Greco Roman Polytheist and Dionysus Devotee
    Phrase
    There is no cure for madness when the cure itself is mad-Euripides

I think a felony vandalism charge on both of them and suspending the troop would be a good punishment. Obviously the two grown idiots need to be dismissed.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

What a big fat fucking idiot.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Polytheistic apatheist
    Phrase
    Let the light in

*rageragerage*

Dec 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

That's what humanity does. Goes wherever it wants to and destroys everything around it, when there's nothing left to destroy, it goes somewhere else.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I think a felony vandalism charge on both of them and suspending the troop would be a good punishment. Obviously the two grown idiots need to be dismissed.
    From the article I had read, it wasn't the troop--it was two leader and one of the leaders' son, who happens to be part of the troop. Honestly, I'm not sure how other news outlets are putting it out, but this story and the article I read are a wee bit at odds, in whether or not it was actually a scouting trip or the people just happened to be Boy Scouts. Either way, I'm not sure why you would suspend the whole troop for what 3 people were involved in, when the rest weren't present.

Also, either way, that is completely and utterly not what Scouting (Boy Scouts or otherwise) teaches concerning the outdoors...and is pretty much obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
    That's what humanity does. Goes wherever it wants to and destroys everything around it, when there's nothing left to destroy, it goes somewhere else.
    So do beavers.
    Last edited by thalassa; 19 Oct 2013 at 19:04. Reason: double post
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Bad enough that it was done, and not surprising that someone did it, but the kind of thing you'd expect from drunks, not scout MASTERS!?

Showed the video to two J1 classes.

The first weren't all that interested, but I heard a few comments like "It's just a rock." (These are kid's who pull stumps, or ride snow mobiles, quads, go mudding in oversized trucks -all on illegal state & private land -, and who also understand the fine art of the demolition derby).

The other class was somewhat more animated, and thought they were idiots.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Lilium of the Valley

I don't understand shit like this. I really don't. On top of it, it just proves all these moronic parents wrong, that believe they don't have to upbring their kids themselves as long as they get them involved in as many 'after school' activities as possible. NO s**theads...You still have to teach them a set of morals and decency. *facepalms*