Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dyeing Easter chicks, Cute Tradition or Animal Abuse?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyeing Easter chicks, Cute Tradition or Animal Abuse?!

So this is a topic that I just found this morning. Apparently it is a modern Tradition to dye Chicks in various colors for Easter, to be gifted to children or just for pure "decoration".
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DYED CHICKS 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	356022
    I did not even know something like this existed, I've never seen them on Easter markets here in Germany nor read about it else where. I am honestly shocked. First I thought "this is wrong!" then went on Google-ing how exactly it is done. As in how they change the color of the feathers, maybe it's not so wrong. *trying to give humanity the benefit of the doubt here* I found 2 methods...One method is dyeing the chick while it remains inside the egg. While the second method is performed after the chick hatches. On further research I also found some interviews with "poultry dyers" that say they simply start spraying dye on the chicks while they are running around. After reading how the chicks are colored, my mind is made up! Not only do I think this is WRONG, I also do believe that it is animal cruelty. Not because they are being harmed, but simply why it is being done. This is a good quote from another article on this topic that seriously explains in 2 sentences why I think this is so wrong.
    "It may not hurt them; the food coloring used may contain only natural and non-toxic ingredients. But there's something about the invasion of the womb, for a cosmetic procedure with no benefit to the chick, that's a bit disturbing."
    ^this is exactly why I find this so wrong. Especially when it comes to the 1st Method mentioned. The 2nd method, the way it is being described in the link I gave you guys, sure seems nice, doesn't seem like anything bad. But honestly #1 WHY? seriously WHY?! can't you just dye some eggs with your kids?! Or do something actually related to Easter with your kids?! #2 Do you really think large companies that are doing this for a profit are going to sit down and gently hand paint every chicks little head with a brush?? *newsflash* NO THEY ARE NOT. I can bet my left Ass cheek on that they will be put in cages by the 50's if not more, being dunked under water based dyes, freaking out, not able to breathe and half way drowning. AND I'm pretty sure that some of them DO INDEED drown and the industry doing it could CARE LESS because "hey look...we have millions more we can do this f**ked up s**t with"...SO HURRAAAAYYYY to the decline of humanity and HURRRRAAAYYYY to the loss of our moral. OVER money. What else. Another point the yahoo article brought up was what happens to the chicks AFTER Easter. And this is a good point. All the kids want pink and blue chicks...And then when the dye wears off and it starts growing up, whoops there's a chicken. Do these people think about this?! NO...And what happens, no one takes care of it, or they get rid of it, or worse abandon it...And for WHAT?! For a couple days of joy about having a pink chick in the house. I'm sure these people don't know jack s**t about keeping chickens nor taking care of them properly. This is all a ton of CRAP!
    Clearly I think this is wrong...And I would not buy any of these colorful chickies simply because I would never want to support such madness. If anything I'd buy them before this were done to them to attempt to save their lives. But what does everybody else think about this? Any like minded folks? Different opinions?

Re: Dyeing Easter chicks, Cute Tradition or Animal Abuse?!

A lot of people really don't, and the whole practice sucks. I buy chickens during Easter time so that I can raise them and harvest their eggs. I look at it as win win, because I save a couple chick's lives, and save money on eggs. A lot of people I know buy chicks during this time to raise them themselves, even though they're colored.

It's sort of common in my area.
    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

It doesn't bother me that they are colored - the color doesn't hurt 'em, and it goes away when they get their pinfeathers.

The cruelty comes when people get animals they don't know how to care for, don't bother to find out how to care for, and then don't care for.

Then the critters end up on Corbin's farm...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I was born in 1959 and can remember colored chicks from my earliest memories of Easter. Given I lived in Washington D.C. and parts of Maryland in my youth you can get an idea it was pretty widespread. MY self I do not think it's any more animal abuse than the many fish one buys that have been dyed to give them more colors.

To me animal abuse is leaving them outside to starve, getting sores and open wounds from weather exposure without any where to stay, stomping, breaking wings for fun, etc. Changing a things color hardly fits any of those in my opinion.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          It doesn't bother me that they are colored - the color doesn't hurt 'em, and it goes away when they get their pinfeathers.
          but honestly where is the necessity in this? One is injecting a needle into a "womb" for no benefit of the animal. Would it be ok to do so with humans too then?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          I was born in 1959 and can remember colored chicks from my earliest memories of Easter. Given I lived in Washington D.C. and parts of Maryland in my youth you can get an idea it was pretty widespread. MY self I do not think it's any more animal abuse than the many fish one buys that have been dyed to give them more colors.
          same question...for what?! why do we invade a natural process just for the hell of it?!?! How is this morally justified. We have absolutely no reason to be doing this. we're not saving the animals life. AND on top of it, with the injection method there is a chance to kill the hatchling inside the egg. If this happens, what did it die for?! seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

And from a religious point of view. How are colored chicks associated with Jesus dying on a cross? After all that is why Christians celebrate Easter in the first place. There is no relating thing here.

Comment

The cruelty comes when people get animals they don't know how to care for, don't bother to find out how to care for, and then don't care for.

Then the critters end up on Corbin's farm...
            This.

I'm sure if I wanted to then I could eventually work up concern over coloring them but my brain pretty much stops at gifting them to children as a holiday tradition. After my brain terminates the infinite WTF loop that it's currently engaged in, I'll think about the whole color thing... or not, depends on the odds of another WTF loop initiating.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
              but honestly where is the necessity in this? One is injecting a needle into a "womb" for no benefit of the animal. Would it be ok to do so with humans too then?
              Well, if people were dying human babies and selling them at Easter, I'd be against it, but, in all honesty, chickens aren't humans - I eat eggs anyway, so it would be sort of goofy for me to get all up in arms about dyed in the egg fetuses...

Also, necessity isn't always the qualifying factor in reasons for doing things. Most of the stuff I do for fun isn't necessary...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

After all that is why Christians celebrate Easter in the first place. There is no relating thing here.
                It's a misinterpretation issue. Somewhere in the early centuries after the time of Jesus, the pope declared that he wants some colored chicks ASAP! And that's when Christians started coloring baby chicks.

On topic: I can kinda see why people want to color animals (any kind) in cute colors or give them haircuts and so on, AFTER they are born of course. So my general rule is this, if it causes no harm to the animal, what's the big deal.

But in all reality the way it's done when the aim is to sell them has probably lots of them being killed. It's less about the well being of the animal and more about a product you are trying to recolor to sell.

So in my opinion it all depends on how it is done. If you yourself own a chick and you want to color it, as long as you are not harming it, then I guess it's OK.
                [4:82]

Comment

Well, if people were dying human babies and selling them at Easter, I'd be against it, but, in all honesty, chickens aren't humans - I eat eggs anyway, so it would be sort of goofy for me to get all up in arms about dyed in the egg fetuses...

Also, necessity isn't always the qualifying factor in reasons for doing things. Most of the stuff I do for fun isn't necessary...
                  My point is, that I personally do not appreciate it when human life is put over the top of animal existence. Hence we are all born with the right of equal amount of good treatment.

And about the necessity. I think necessity becomes a very large aspect of viewing something when it inhabits a 50 % chance of a being loosing it's life. I don't think you choose things to do for fun, where you have a 50 % chance of killing yourself. Unless of course you engage in extreme sports...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                  It's a misinterpretation issue. Somewhere in the early centuries after the time of Jesus, the pope declared that he wants some colored chicks ASAP! And that's when Christians started coloring baby chicks.

On topic: I can kinda see why people want to color animals (any kind) in cute colors or give them haircuts and so on, AFTER they are born of course. So my general rule is this, if it causes no harm to the animal, what's the big deal.

But in all reality the way it's done when the aim is to sell them has probably lots of them being killed. It's less about the well being of the animal and more about a product you are trying to recolor to sell.

So in my opinion it all depends on how it is done. If you yourself own a chick and you want to color it, as long as you are not harming it, then I guess it's OK.
                  LOL. "colored chicks" OMG.

back on topic: i agree. As long as it's done within a family, gently and they are not being harmed inherently there is nothing bad being done. Do I think it's necessary "no", but what the hell not my house, not my kids, not my problem. Each to their own.

You did very much understand where I am coming from though, which is awesome. I don't like the injection method...And the part where it's being done in large amounts (not gently) where chicks are being killed. This just has no worth. Nor necessity. And I think it's cruel.

Also I am still not liking the fact where they are given without thought and then end up being abandoned or not cared for properly. It's actually proven that around Easter the numbers of bunnies for example (here in europe at least) being dropped off at animal shelters or just randomly being found abandoned...or found as road kill, increases by the thousands. This shows that a cute Tradition is being turned into something not so pretty IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

and randomly off topic ... goat beating kid LMAO

Comment

.. same question...for what?! why do we invade a natural process just for the hell of it?!?! How is this morally justified. We have absolutely no reason to be doing this. we're not saving the animals life. AND on top of it, with the injection method there is a chance to kill the hatchling inside the egg. If this happens, what did it die for?! seriously.
                    How is it any different than the many beauty things a woman or man does to make themselves look better, to change some aspect of self they are not happy with? Or the testing that is done upon many animals so that humans can have those beauty products they so crave and desire to change their looks.

In actuality you can't even guarentee the egg's would have hatched or the chick inside not deformed and need to be killed anyway. You can't say the egg would have even been allowed to develope and be used as a regular store purchased egg for eating.

Yet in the end the final tally is that there is a demand for it and people will create to meet the demand. Until you change the mindset of humanity the process will continue and other aspects will be modified to try and make your product more appealing than another's. That and its still better as they do it than how it was done in the past with actual paint and such applied to the bird or chick. Imagine a coat of tar like paint upon them or something similar to make your painted birds.

But like I said its not stomping, breaking of parts, beating or ignoring, etc. To me that is the problem not that a bird has been colored for those do ensure death is the final painful result.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      How is it any different than the many beauty things a woman or man does to make themselves look better, to change some aspect of self they are not happy with? Or the testing that is done upon many animals so that humans can have those beauty products they so crave and desire to change their looks.

In actuality you can't even guarentee the egg's would have hatched or the chick inside not deformed and need to be killed anyway. You can't say the egg would have even been allowed to develope and be used as a regular store purchased egg for eating.

Yet in the end the final tally is that there is a demand for it and people will create to meet the demand. Until you change the mindset of humanity the process will continue and other aspects will be modified to try and make your product more appealing than another's. That and its still better as they do it than how it was done in the past with actual paint and such applied to the bird or chick. Imagine a coat of tar like paint upon them or something similar to make your painted birds.

But like I said its not stomping, breaking of parts, beating or ignoring, etc. To me that is the problem not that a bird has been colored for those do ensure death is the final painful result.
                      #1 I, as a woman who wears make up, make the conscious choice myself to wear it. I don't think the chick said "Hey i want to be pink" so i don't really see the factor in this statement.
                      #2 No one can guarantee anything or anyone surviving anything. But why risk something that may have had the chance to live. It's not really our place. Plus this would be the same thing as me saying "Hey it's ok for you to do whatever you want during your pregnancy, go ahead drink milk that is not pasteurized. It's not a proven fact that your child is going to live nor be healthy anyway. So you might as well risk that too." So again I can't really agree with this.
                      #3 I agree this is how humans are. That doesn't make it right though. And I'm not even going to say anything to actual paint on birds. This is insane and even more ridiculous than the dye IMO.

Comment

The ones at the Co-op where I live, if I remember right, are colored using food dye. It's basically like putting little girls in Easter dresses and bonnets, (my favorite part of easter!), or putting flowers in colored water (also food dye). The color only lasts a month or two, if even that long, and the chickens don't really seem to care one way or another. So to me, it was always just coloring one more thing in a season where everything is colored.

Comment

I'm pretty much with Corbin here. I'm against the sales of living things en masse because they somehow symbolize a holiday or season, or because of a fad or marketing scheme. Chicks, ducklings, bunnies, Dalmatian puppies, pot-bellied piglets - they're all so freaking adorable when they're babies. But those babies grow up to be very unsuitable pets for most people. So they get mistreated and thrown away when they're no longer adorable.

We're really good at mass production of things, and not very good at taking care of what we own.
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Why are chicks dyed and sold at Easter? Because there's a demand. If there is still a demand. I personally haven't seen dyed chicks for sale since maybe the early seventies, but I don't go to farm stores and Co-ops like I did when I lived on a farm.
                            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                            Tribe of my Tribe
                            Clan of my Clan
                            Kin of my Kin
                            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I don't really like the idea of marketing animals in this way. When a particular animal is popular, sales skyrocket, and very quickly, the rate at which they are abandoned or neglected does the same. It happened with clown fish after "Nemo" and it happened with Chihuahuas after that awful-looking "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" movie. It only encourages people to see the animals as a thing to be personalized and played with, and to downplay the responsibility that comes with them, in order to raise sales.

I don't know a lot about the process and whether or not it actually harms the birds, so I don't know that I'd call it abuse. How about animal harassment?

Comment

Working...
                              X