Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candle magic and Samhain

Hi everyone!

I don't do a lot of ceremonial magic (magik?) because I live in a small community with the nearest city far enough away that it would not be practical to join a coven as I would probably miss most, if not all events.

In the past I did the "traditiona" casting with the cauldron and herbs like mugwort, juniper berries, etc. They worked wonderfully but unfortunatly I'm on a fixed income which makes doing these things expensive.

I've recently turned to candle magic as it's a bit easier on the old wallet. The thing is I'm not sure how it would work. I bought a book and it tells you to use certain colours for certain purposes, but the thing is they don't include the spells to go with them. Nor do they really specify whether, as in ceremonies, you should do a circle to protect yourself or just light the candle and hope for the best?

As for the spell I require, it would be for prosperity. As I mentioned in my intro, I'm an aspiring writer. I'm currently in the middle of writing my first manuscript and my focus has always been to become successful at this. I went to two psychics who both told me I would be successful at it. One said I'd be VERY successful and the other one said I'd win an award. I guess I'd kind of like to throw it out there to the goddess and ask for help. I'm a little OCD when I become focused on something. If anyone has any tips on how to ask Her in a nice way would be great!

Another question about candle magic would be, has anyone ever done the switch from using herbs and such and gone to candle magic, does it work just as well? I suppose I ask because as I said before, the "traditional" casting worked amazingly well (I only used them for big things like once I asked help to find a job (low and behold I was hired two weeks later) and another time I just a cast a general love spell and a month later I started talking to my current boyfriend).

Another thing is, I noticed that the guy who was helping me out at the store did a thing with his finger on the candle. I know one was to draw whatever you're praying (casting) for to come to you, and the other was meant to send out whatever you're asking for to go to someone else.

Finally the last thing is Samhain. This may be an incredibly stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. When you wish to say your prayer, cast your spell or just mediate, should you pray at midnight the night of Samhain at midnight, that would then turn to Nov.1 or would you mediate at midnight when Oct.30 turns to Oct. 31?

I didn't mean for this to be a book and I hope all the questions I asked make some kind of sense.

Thanks in advance.

Blessed Be

DM

Re: Candle magic and Samhain

Circles tend to vary in use based on philosophy/paradigm. I don't use them often but I use candles even less.

Samhain, shrug, I pray when I pray. Prayer isn't something I time for special effect. Spellcasting and/or holiday rites may vary with what you're trying to do or the purpose of the rite.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by DitasMom View Post
      Finally the last thing is Samhain. This may be an incredibly stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. When you wish to say your prayer, cast your spell or just mediate, should you pray at midnight the night of Samhain at midnight, that would then turn to Nov.1 or would you mediate at midnight when Oct.30 turns to Oct. 31?
      Samhuinn is supposed to begin at nightfall on October the 31st and it lasts until nightfall the following day. So I would go with 31st/1st.

Comment

I spend a LOT of time with candles.
        I do not cast circles when I do candle magic, but then, i mostly don't cast circles ever. Super rarely, if I feel like I'm working on something that needs extra concentration, I'll cast a circle to help ground myself.
        I do symbols that relate to what I'm working with the candles on. (So for for health, I might draw a medical symbol. For comfort, i might draw a kitty, because kitties comfort me.) I'm sure there are official symbols you could use. Maybe runes... or something? I think whats most important is that it's meaningful to YOU and the energy you are trying to put out there.
        I haven't worked heavily with herbs and "traditional" spell casting, I started with candle magic, and it's where I'm most comfortable. But I'm sort of in the opposite boat, I'm branching out away from candles toward other things.

On a side note about Samhain, we celebrate it, in our household, on the 31st, from sundown through the 1st at sundown. With special reverence for the night hours of darkness. We light a candle and keep it in the room with us all night long until day light. We consider this candle both protection against extra negative energy that might be around that night, and a beacon for the energy of our loved ones that might be lost.
        I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Yes you can swap herbs for candles, the prayers works if you say them in the right moment when casting a spell. the spell gets it momentum depending to the words and how you cast your spell.
          No sig for you.

Comment

Working...
          X