Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting

Does anyone hunt on here?
    I like to go ferreting and run my dog on rabbits, but I also enjoy some shooting, I would use a bow and arrow but unfortunately it is illegal in the UK, I feel if you hunt for your food you feel more closer to where your food comes from, and this is the main reason why I choose to do this. As a sort of side hobby from this I cure the pelts and make them into handy items like pouches, dog toys, and in the process of making a rug as well.

Re: Hunting

I hunt deer and coyote primarily, squirrels, rabbits, and other small game as a side hobby. I hunt with a rifle, but I would love to get into bow hunting if I could afford a decent one and find time to practice. That's awesome that you make your pelts into useful items. I have a friend who is a fur trapper who is suppose to show me how to do that sort of thing this winter.

I love coyote hunting because coyotes can be quite the challenge to bag. They are much more intelligent than deer and have outsmarted me several times in the past! lol. Deer hunting is a tradition here though and its always fun to see who gets the biggest buck.

Comment

I will have to do a step by step post showing how I cure the pelts

Comment

Originally posted by Organicboy View Post
        I will have to do a step by step post showing how I cure the pelts
        That would be awesome!

Comment

Do you brain tan or do you use the stuff you buy at the store? I've always wanted to try brain tanning! They say it's better on the hide, making it softer and longer lasting too.
          A witch is a woman who knows what she wants and is not afraid to work to achieve it. She has strong beliefs and the power to go through with her wishes. She has the power to turn thought into action. She's a strong, hardworking and intelligent woman.
          Call me a witch and I will thank you for the compliment.

Comment

Had the first big frost out here in Kansas, time for coyote and soon rabbits. One more month til deer season (rifle)!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post
              Had the first big frost out here in Kansas, time for coyote and soon rabbits. One more month til deer season (rifle)!
              Used to work with a bunch of fellas that would head to Kansas every year to hunt pheasant.
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I'm mostly a bird hunter, pheasant, duck, dove and quail... but I also really enjoy boar hunting, as well as varmint shooting (coyotes and jackrabbits, mostly)

speaking of dove... stuff a jalapeno with cream cheese, insert the stuffed jalapeno into a dove breast, wrap the whole thing with a slice of bacon, impale it with a toothpick to keep the bacon in place, and throw it on the grill... you will thank me.
                "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Sadly I can't go hunting or fishing anymore due to physical disabilities now. Yet for me hunting was never a hobby nor something we even discussed as it being a hobby. Killing or taking a life was never a hobby but a serious issue for me and those I grew up with. We we're blooded with our first kills and sang the songs and danced the dance of the male mysteries. Didn't matter if it was a bow, a muzzle loader or a rifle or shotgun or even simple traps.

Hunting was a mindset that allowed you to track a wounded deer for miles and hours to make the kill then haul it back out. Not just the prime cuts either but everything you could use and then honor the spirit of the animal. To track a bear all day long and perhaps even longer, sometimes with dogs sometimes without. Occasionally from blinds high in the tree or on a raised hillside overlooking a valley or deep ravine.

Yes I miss it.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Tomorrow is opening day for rifle season. I am mainly a bow hunter myself (I get the woods to myself during bow season), but I do go out hunting rifle just because it is tradition. My dad gave me my 300 Savage when I was 13.

Today is cooking and baking day. I have hazelnut cookies going right now, walnut nut cookies cooling on the rack, then I'll start on the breads and veggies. Before I go to bed tonight I'll start a stone soup pot on the porch 3 burner and this will be bubbling for most of the winter from here on out. People can come in out of the cold, add something to the pot and take a bowl. We started hunkering down for the winter during The Winter Findings, and today we put all that work into action. As old tradition dictates, anyone who needs a meal is welcome. When you live in the boonies like this we have to be able to rely on each other. On my farm the porch stove is always lit and food, water, blankets are always there. This way even if the house is all locked up, those that stumble out of the woods have what they need to get back on their feet.

Most of the houses around here are doing the same thing, getting ready for the hunt. It's the unofficial start of winter for many old farm families. We have been all working around the farms, getting it ready for this day and now it is here. Hunting for generations have put on the table for us. Much of the livestock that is raised is sold to make money and the meat we eat is often from the wilds, so this is a very important 9 days. A couple deer hanging in the meat house has meant the difference between surviving the winter as a family or having one or more of the family have to go to town to take a job, separating them during the winter months, making it just that much harder to run the farm. So hunting is a necessity to us and one seeped in family traditions. My blaze is hanging in the wind, washing the human scent off of it and tomorrow morning, around 2:00am I bring the cows, sheep, and horses into the barnyards (so they don't get shot), dress warm and join my family in the hunt. As I've already filled my meat house, what I get will go to any other family member that may need it. Unless it's a 30 point buck, and then it goes on my wall.

soup3.jpg
                    The porch three burner with a stone soup pot in the back corner.

Comment

Working...
                    X