X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: roleplaying

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    As it stands, I'll state my personal opinion (which is not in any way reflective of the rest of the staff). If an admin wants to set up a channel for gaming specifically, awesome, I'm all for it. I am not at all currently supportive of scheduling blocks where the public channel is reserved game use. There are other sites dedicated to rpg-ing that are relatively easy to find and I'd prefer to redirect games to those sites then allow games to start reserving time shares in public chat.
    That sounds fair enough in my opinion. If they decide to go ahead and open up a new channel let us know, cause that sounds like a LOT of fun ^_^
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Comment

Hey, cool! The chat idea sounds great (even if we need to go elsewhere to do it). On the other forum, they were just going to do it in a thread, but probably because the forum isn't active enough and it's hard to get everyone online at the same time. Chat makes a lot more sense though. I really want to join in, but like I said earlier, I'm a RPV (role-play virgin), so don't know what to do. Would it be rude if I were simply an observer the first time around? Or is it possible to pair up with someone more experienced who can give me a nudge to begin with?
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Well one of my co-workers said he was working out at the gym. He said that he can now wear a Wolverine costume for me. I told him it won't stay on long.
        Is that roleplay?
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Well one of my co-workers said he was working out at the gym. He said that he can now wear a Wolverine costume for me. I told him it won't stay on long.
          Is that roleplay?
          If it is, then I guess I'm not a noob either! Although in my case it was Yoshimitsu from Tekken (I let him keep the mask on though).
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Most of the other features are already active. There's a pretty flexible dice roller active already and whisper channels provide for secretive comm with the DM/GM/Storyteller. I'm waiting for an admin to comment in the staff section on creating a separate channel for gaming.
            And that was why I suggested the chat to start with

As it stands, I'll state my personal opinion (which is not in any way reflective of the rest of the staff). If an admin wants to set up a channel for gaming specifically, awesome, I'm all for it. I am not at all currently supportive of scheduling blocks where the public channel is reserved game use. There are other sites dedicated to rpg-ing that are relatively easy to find and I'd prefer to redirect games to those sites then allow games to start reserving time shares in public chat.
            I can understand that perfectly and if a staff member don't want to set up a separate channel and we can't use the common room that's fair. We'll just have to find somewhere else. But if it does happen I'd like to volunteer to DM. I have about 15 years experience with DMing in various RPG systems, so it's not entirely new to me. Though I have never tried to do it in a chatroom before.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            Hey, cool! The chat idea sounds great (even if we need to go elsewhere to do it). On the other forum, they were just going to do it in a thread, but probably because the forum isn't active enough and it's hard to get everyone online at the same time. Chat makes a lot more sense though. I really want to join in, but like I said earlier, I'm a RPV (role-play virgin), so don't know what to do. Would it be rude if I were simply an observer the first time around? Or is it possible to pair up with someone more experienced who can give me a nudge to begin with?
            Speaking only for myself I wouldn't be bothered by it. That said, when I had beginners in my groups - something that have happened quite often since many of the campaings I've run been for youth clubs - I genrally recommended that they had a character, but I didn't insist that they said something the first time. All groups have people/characters who just "tag along" sometimes and don't do much, so it would be perfectly acceptable if your character, and therefore you, didn't say or do much the first couple of sessions.
            Besides, whenever I start a new group I tend to start with the ABC of the system we are using and laying down ground rules so we are all on the same page. So beginners aren't left totally in the dark.

That's just my opinion though, and I wouldn't twist your arm on the matter if you felt like just sitting and looking on.
            Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Well then, I guess I could just jump right in and be a little quiet!

Comment

I've done some play by post rps on forums and google docs.

Comment

I absolutely adore D&D and Pathfinder, and I'm also learning the Savage Worlds system, which I love. I'm a little new to roleplaying but I love it to bits! I'd LOVE to join in with one here! ^_^

Comment

Update:

This may be subject to change later but as of this moment, an rpg channel will not be added to chat. Channel access is based on forum access and there is not any current plan to add a rpg subforum to link such a channel to. In the meantime

Myth-Weavers is one of the more dedicated play by post boards I've seen. It does not allow chat but it does store character sheets for an insane number of systems, have a dice roller that lets everyone know if someone tries to edit their roll, provide the ability to include hidden text in posts that is only visible to the intended recipient, staff and (I believe) the GM of a given game. GMs also come with the perk of setting up their own games areas where they possess limited mod like powers (moving posts around, hiding notes from players, hiding game threads from players who aren't part of the scene those threads portray, etc). I highly reccomend them if you like play by post games. General note, Myth-Weaver game-ad forums are for Myth-Weaver games only. Don't post ads there for games you intend to play on another site. The ad will last precisely as long as it takes a staff member to find, read and lock the thread.

Giant in the Playground is a forum I'm less familiar with but it does host a significant number of play by post games. Unlike Myth-Weavers, you can recruit players on GitP for games that occur elsewhere (if memory serves). I believe some recruitment threads are for chat games. Someone here can probably tell you a good place to find chat games if you prefer chat to play by post.

WotC also hosts games but their site has changed significantly since I was last active there. The link I've given takes you to old rp-ing subforums. From there you can find your way around their new system, I believe. I'm not exploring that much tonight.

A google search will also bring up places that host rp chats but I'm more familiar with play by post so I can't really comment on which chat sites are worthwhile.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Or, you know.. we could just use a thread to begin with! ^^

Comment

The idea of using PF threads to run RPGs has come up before. The opinion of ownership at the time was that there were sites much better suited for it and that they preferred rp-ing be conducted on a rp site. I'd toss up the exact quote but I'm not seeing it with a quick search, I'm not motivated enough to slog through thousands of posts by the owners individually to find it the long way and there are no recent comments pertaining to the issue in a section of the board that most members have access to. Barring word to the contrary from on high, I advise a different site. The sites I've linked are in frequent use with several games recruiting at any given time. Other sites with comparable features exist. Any of them would be more than happy to take on new players or DMs.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Then I'm out. I'd rather not start giving my footfall to another unknown site. I don't trust the internet at the best of times. I'll just try to join in in the thread on the Japanese language forum. At least I'd be getting language practice then too.

Comment

Message heard and understood Mask, and thanks for supplying alternatives

I was wondering if we could make a gaming group consisting of people for this site, though the rpg itself would of course take place on a different site?
                            I am still sort of hooked on the chat game idea, but I don't want to start a group consisting entirely of people I don't know (I've tried that enough to last me a lifetime). But if could stomp up enough people from here to make up a group, or at least most of one, I'd still be willing to DM something. Then I'd nose around for an appropriate site for it.
                            So Jembru it wouldn't be strangers then, just us but in a different place.

But is anyone interested in this?

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Have you guys considered starting your own forum for this? PF, while it has a few elements that you guys are looking for, is not suited for a Role Playing culture. There are plenty of free forum hosting plans out there, some of which include chat room platforms. I used to have a side forum for RPing which included chat, but it was a small friends and family type board. It got the job done, but it's no longer going since people have moved on with their lives.
                              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                                Have you guys considered starting your own forum for this? PF, while it has a few elements that you guys are looking for, is not suited for a Role Playing culture. There are plenty of free forum hosting plans out there, some of which include chat room platforms. I used to have a side forum for RPing which included chat, but it was a small friends and family type board. It got the job done, but it's no longer going since people have moved on with their lives.
                                See, that was what I was trying to suggest in my last post. That we, while we gather a group of people from this site, take everything relating to it to another site. Sorry if I weren't clear on that Juni.

I nosed around on the web yesterday and have found a site/forum I think could work. That is if anyone is in fact interested. If you are could you drop me a PM and let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X