Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I once found a reference book in a library, as a teenager, that was an encyclopedia..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once found a reference book in a library, as a teenager, that was an encyclopedia..

Or dictionary of Paganism! This book included every branch of Paganism and included the definition or information about each individual branch. The book was VERY thick and it was an old book. Does anyone know what book this could have possibly been? It was a reference book of sorts. I remember the book may have been green without it's dust jacket but most books online will be pictured with their dust jackets, so this information might be moot. The book of course included Wicca and some branches I have not seen referenced even today. That I can find anyway. I know there is also Asatru, it may or may not have been in the book, it more than likely was. I could have sworn one had to do with the name Morgana but I am not 100% sure.

This has bothered me for years now and I have never been able to find this book... I never checked it out of the library. I don't even think I was able to because it was a reference book, which are not allowed to be checked out. I just remember standing in the library, I have the memory of standing there, holding this book and looking through it. Ever since, I have been unable to find anything at all similar to that reference book.

Anyone have a clue?

Re: I once found a reference book in a library, as a teenager, that was an encycloped

The edit button is gone from my thread... and I have things to add?!?! Someone on Yahoo Answers said it might be ... "The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology" and "A Treasury of Witchcraft" -- which I do not believe it is either... basically ALL this book was was a book filled with every branch of Paganism and described every branch. It had no other information in it as far as I remember, just a list of all the branches of Paganism and little paragraphs about each individual one. I am just curious to find this book because I want to see all the different branches it had, that I am not seeing referenced today or being used, as far as I can tell. Especially since I remember the name Morgana or some other branch of Paganism that had to do with a Goddess, it was a female named branch of Paganism in this book, is all I remember. I am pretty sure, there was also the word "Pagan" in the title I do believe as well. I actually would love to find and have this book in my book collection!

Comment

Re: I once found a reference book in a library, as a teenager, that was an encycloped

When you say old how long ago would that be? Because whenever I hear the term "old book" I'm thinking of something from the 19th century and I'm not sure that that is what you are thinking.
      But that was an aside. Now I'm not sure this is the one you found back then but if you are looking for something that contains a thorough description of as many paths of paganism as possible - honestly don't think you can get all of them into one book, we're to diverse and changeable for that - you could try Margot Adler's "Drawing Down the Moon". The latest version of that do contain stuff about Asatru/Heathenry whatever we should call this.

N.B. You can only edit your post for about ten minutes or so. So that was why the button had vanished.
      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by darkmoongazerlily View Post
        Or dictionary of Paganism! This book included every branch of Paganism and included the definition or information about each individual branch. The book was VERY thick and it was an old book. Does anyone know what book this could have possibly been? It was a reference book of sorts. I remember the book may have been green without it's dust jacket but most books online will be pictured with their dust jackets, so this information might be moot. The book of course included Wicca and some branches I have not seen referenced even today. That I can find anyway. I know there is also Asatru, it may or may not have been in the book, it more than likely was. I could have sworn one had to do with the name Morgana but I am not 100% sure.

This has bothered me for years now and I have never been able to find this book... I never checked it out of the library. I don't even think I was able to because it was a reference book, which are not allowed to be checked out. I just remember standing in the library, I have the memory of standing there, holding this book and looking through it. Ever since, I have been unable to find anything at all similar to that reference book.

Anyone have a clue?

The edit button is gone from my thread... and I have things to add?!?! Someone on Yahoo Answers said it might be ... "The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology" and "A Treasury of Witchcraft" -- which I do not believe it is either... basically ALL this book was was a book filled with every branch of Paganism and described every branch. It had no other information in it as far as I remember, just a list of all the branches of Paganism and little paragraphs about each individual one. I am just curious to find this book because I want to see all the different branches it had, that I am not seeing referenced today or being used, as far as I can tell. Especially since I remember the name Morgana or some other branch of Paganism that had to do with a Goddess, it was a female named branch of Paganism in this book, is all I remember. I am pretty sure, there was also the word "Pagan" in the title I do believe as well. I actually would love to find and have this book in my book collection!
        Quoted for the sake of members who don't use black backgrounds.

Read This
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Encyclopedia of World Religions? It's not just Pagan, but all it does is list world religions and the terms involved in them. It's a good one anyway. And the hardcover version is huge. I was amazed when a saw a paperback version... it was so tiny comparatively.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
          X