Cleromancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleromancy

I've always called it throwing bones or casting bones. Any other terms for it? I'm curious about getting involved in it. I am outside a lot and -not to be gross- come across a lot of dead things, rather, my dog finds them first. I've collected some antler sheds, bird skulls and a bleached out turtle shell over the years. I only really use my turtle shell for storing sage and sometimes divination- all antlers become chew toys for the mutt and the bird skulls are just pretty (unless they can be used too??). The other day we saw a mostly decayed deer that had probably been there for several months. I was thinking- wow, those teeth might be good for something like bone casting. But I really don't know much about it at all, other than it's used for some kind of fortune telling (and I could be wrong! That's my "Hollywood" understanding of it). Does anyone here throw bones? Does it use dark or light magic/energy or can it be either? How do you use it? Does it matter on what kind of bone you use? Since teeth aren't technically bones... Basically, please tell me everything you know about it and some of your experience with it, if any.

Thanks for your time and Blessings on this windy Samhain!

Last edited by SeaTurtleSwims; 31 Oct 2013, 17:36. Reason: Edit: font color was dim, I brightened it! :)

Re: Cleromancy

Originally posted by SeaTurtleSwims View Post
    I've always called it throwing bones or casting bones. Any other terms for it? I'm curious about getting involved in it. I am outside a lot and -not to be gross- come across a lot of dead things, rather, my dog finds them first. I've collected some antler sheds, bird skulls and a bleached out turtle shell over the years. I only really use my turtle shell for storing sage and sometimes divination- all antlers become chew toys for the mutt and the bird skulls are just pretty (unless they can be used too??). The other day we saw a mostly decayed deer that had probably been there for several months. I was thinking- wow, those teeth might be good for something like bone casting. But I really don't know much about it at all, other than it's used for some kind of fortune telling (and I could be wrong! That's my "Hollywood" understanding of it). Does anyone here throw bones? Does it use dark or light magic/energy or can it be either? How do you use it? Does it matter on what kind of bone you use? Since teeth aren't technically bones... Basically, please tell me everything you know about it and some of your experience with it, if any.

Thanks for your time and Blessings on this windy Samhain!
    Quoted for those of us who don't use black backgrounds.

Read This
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Re: Cleromancy

I've always called it throwing bones or casting bones. Any other terms for it?

Technically, cleromancy is not specific to throwing bones, but applies to any divination system that utilises sortilege, sortition, or the casting of lots. Technically, drawing straws is a form of cleromancy.

But I really don't know much about it at all, other than it's used for some kind of fortune telling (and I could be wrong! That's my "Hollywood" understanding of it).

It's a form of divination, which means that it is generally used to predict the future or gain understanding of a particular situation. So your Hollywood understanding is not that far off lol

Does anyone here throw bones?
      I don't throw bones, but I do know some things about it so I can answer a few of your questions...

Does it use dark or light magic/energy or can it be either?

This... is a hard question to answer. You'll find that not everyone experiences energy in a dichotomous light vs dark concept. To me, energy is energy... and although it can be flavoured by the source of that energy, it's not a matter of 'light' or 'dark' or 'good' or 'bad'. It's how you use it that determines whether your working was for woe or weal. Divination is not inherently good or bad or anything else. It's just a technique.

Does it matter on what kind of bone you use?

That depends on the system you're using. The short answer is no, because you can create a system around whatever bones you have on hand. However, established systems usually require particular bone. And particular bones often have particular 'meanings' or correspondences, depending on the system you're using. So you can't take a system that requires long bones and make it work using knuckles. But you CAN adapt or create a system that will use those knuckles in a meaningful manner. Does that make sense?

Also, bone casting is not necessarily just bones. Most systems for bone throwing actually include shells, horn, teeth, claws, nuts, seed pods, and sometimes even stones.

Comment

Working...
      X