Vampire/Vampyre culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vampire/Vampyre culture

Does anyone here believe in vampires? That there are people who require energy in the form of blood, chi or another substance to sustain themselves? Are there perhaps any members of this forum that consider themselves to be vampires? I'm not talking about mythological undead Dracula vampires, but those who consider themselves part of the vampire "subculture" and feed off others. I recently began researching the subculture and even temporarily joined a group on Facebook to observe the members and see how they act and interact. I didn't discover much save that they seem to be ordinary people who believe they were born with some sort of energy deficiency that they have to make up for by feeding off other people or even off natural energies. If they don't feed, they become tired, lethargic and weak. They consider this to be a genuine medical condition and some even claim that there have been medical studies proving that they have an affliction that sets them apart from ordinary humans (or Shinai, as they call them).
    I am interested to know your thoughts and experiences regarding this rather fascinating segment of society, so feel free to share!
    sigpic

Re: Vampire/Vampyre culture

I wouldn't rule it out, but I've never seen or experienced it. The only people I know who get weak and lethargic like that have seasonal affective disorder and it's sunlight that fixes it. I'm one of them and I always joke that I'm like a plant...I'm fine as long as I have lots of sunlight, nutrients, and water lol. I've never met anyone who needs some other kind of energy to nourish them.

Comment

It's not an idea I've ever bought into, honestly. It doesn't make any sense on a metaphysical level, there are far more efficient ways to accumulate vital energy than draining it off other people around you. Even if they are legitimately doing that, it's something they should fix to make life easier for themselves and those around them, not turn into a lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
        Does anyone here believe in vampires? That there are people who require energy in the form of blood, chi or another substance to sustain themselves? Are there perhaps any members of this forum that consider themselves to be vampires? I'm not talking about mythological undead Dracula vampires, but those who consider themselves part of the vampire "subculture" and feed off others. I recently began researching the subculture and even temporarily joined a group on Facebook to observe the members and see how they act and interact. I didn't discover much save that they seem to be ordinary people who believe they were born with some sort of energy deficiency that they have to make up for by feeding off other people or even off natural energies. If they don't feed, they become tired, lethargic and weak. They consider this to be a genuine medical condition and some even claim that there have been medical studies proving that they have an affliction that sets them apart from ordinary humans (or Shinai, as they call them).
        I am interested to know your thoughts and experiences regarding this rather fascinating segment of society, so feel free to share!
        It's hard not to believe in them when they quite patently exist. There is a very active subculture of people who are energy vampires (aka psychic vampires, depending on who you talk to), and another of people who are sanguinarian vampires.

I actually do believe that some people have an glitch in their soul complex that means they're not good at maintaining their own energy levels. I also think that some people are just lazy and find it easier to drain others than work on maintaining their soul complex properly. I also think that there are some people who learn to feed off the energy of crowds to get their own sort of high... in fact, lots of us do this unconsciously. Ever gone to a concert or public event and come away from it feeling a bit wired and in serious need of grounding?

Feeding off the energy of others is actually a very well documented magickal technique. There are not only entire subcultures who do this, but many published books regarding the practice. And almost every neo-Wiccan book I ever read as a teenager had a few paragraphs on psychic vampires and how to protect against them. So yes, I absolutely believe in energy vampires and their need for an external energy source.

Now sanguinarian vampires on the other hand... they exist, and they seem to genuinely believe that they require blood, but from what I've seen they don't all agree that it's energy that they are getting out of the blood. And I have seen some sang vamps talk about 'blood substitutes' that essentially boil down to tomato juice or rare meat, which is just ridiculous when you are a person who works with blood a lot. I think that there is more 'lifestyle' to many sang vamps than there is genuine physical or spiritual glitch, and perhaps some blood fetishists end up in that subculture viewing their appetites as a spiritual need rather than a fetish. I personally tend to feel that some energy vampires have learned that blood packs a good punch if they have a reliable source, and that's what their soul complexes have keyed into. But I am skeptical about underlying medical disorders that mean they need to ingest blood... even cursory research in the area shows that ingesting blood is not an efficient or effective way to absorb blood products into your body. There are medical disorders that mean a person requires transfusions and oral supplements of specific factors, plus dietary changes, but in order to get those from blood you would need to ingest large amounts of blood, and sang vamps generally aren't doing that.

Plus I've seen some sang vamps get very squeamish over food grade blood products such as pig or cow's blood or blood sausages etc. The taste difference between human blood and animal blood is not that significant. Granted, cooked blood tastes somewhat different to fresh... but I do find that squeamishness rather telling. So with sang vamps it depends... I think that some genuinely find blood to be a powerful source of energy, while others are fetishists who are a part of the sang vamp community rather than the bloodplay one, while others are making a lifestyle choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
        It's not an idea I've ever bought into, honestly. It doesn't make any sense on a metaphysical level, there are far more efficient ways to accumulate vital energy than draining it off other people around you. Even if they are legitimately doing that, it's something they should fix to make life easier for themselves and those around them, not turn into a lifestyle.
        I actually don't agree with this at all. If you have the skills, siphoning energy off another person or a crowd of people is very efficient. Far more so than raising the energy on your own.

I'm interested in the rationale behind your statements here.

Comment

No. Not as something NEEDED for one's continued existence.

As a want. As a sub-culture. As a kink. As people who are lazy and/or abusive...yes. Not necessarily all of those at the same time/in the same person, but this is what I've seen/experienced myself.
          "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            Ever gone to a concert or public event and come away from it feeling a bit wired and in serious need of grounding?
            I've actually always wondered about the dynamics of this. A lot of people do, but I feel drained when I go out in public, especially around crowds. I don't hate crowds and I enjoy going to events, festivals, and concerts but they make me sooo tired. But everyone else always feels buzzed.

Comment

I have encountered the social vampire many times one who has to feed off of the energy of someone else to sustain their existence whether that be asking certain things of you often that they could no accomplish themselves are using you to reach a certain goal , I think the best example would be someone that is in more of a parasitic relationship then that of a collaboration if this needs to be expanded on feel free to ask me any questions It's hard to discern if what I am posting covers the topic adequately and what I meant to say came off as I intended.

Comment

I second what Vigdisdotter said. In my opinion, it's basically a spiritual fad, special-snowflake style. I can definitely say every encounter I've had with people who claimed to be vampires was negative, and resulted in me angrily shielding up, tired of them thinking it's totally cool to just steal random people's energy (mine included) because they feel entitled to it. I stay away from self-proclaimed "vampires".

However, as to the existence of such beings in general? I do believe perhaps true vampires exist, but they are extremely rare, the legends and myths about them contain grains of truth and a lot of exaggerated fairy-tale, and you probably wouldn't want to encounter a real one. I believe people were terrified of them long ago for a reason. I believe the average person's odds of encountering one are next to none and consider it an extreme coincidence that I have stumbled upon one or two individuals that I could say "Wow, I don't know man, he might actually be something like that" about.

Comment

I actually don't agree with this at all. If you have the skills, siphoning energy off another person or a crowd of people is very efficient. Far more so than raising the energy on your own.

I'm interested in the rationale behind your statements here.
                  We live in a universe pulsating with energy, any system of spiritual training can teach you how to accumulate it from your environment, and how to strengthen and balance the astral body so that your regular intake is increased, as part of your basic training. Choosing to take it from other people instead of the environment around you is pointless and selfish, and while various problems can cause a shortage of this energy, there are none I've ever heard of that would require this energy to be taken specifically from other people. It makes as much sense as shoving a tube down the throat of random people and pumping the oxygen out of their lungs into your own instead of having a doctor correct whatever is blocking your throat so you can inhale deeply from the atmosphere around you.

Are there people who do it anyway? I'd err on the side of yes (although everything I've read which discusses the subject from an impartial point of view suggests that it's not intentional - or at least it wasn't until this whole fad began), but it's a behavioral & energetic problem they should correct for both their own well being and the well being of others, not something they should adopt as an identity or a lifestyle. It's no coincidence that this whole phenomenon of people adopting the label of 'psychic vampire' has only arisen in the last decade or two with the advent of the internet and the current pop culture obsession with all things pale and fanged.

Comment

To me there is a HUGE difference between availing yourself of ambient energy (such as the flow-off at a concert) and sucking someone's personal energy.

The difference between your run of the mill energy worker and the a (psychic) vampire, is that the vampire IS a predator. The whole subculture revolves around this predator/prey dynamic. It's a dynamic that most energy workers (in my experience) don't fall into.

I time I mentioned that I was an energy worker and someone piped with up "oh! So you're a psychic vampire!" And while I'm pretty sure the comment had been meant as a joke, it pissed me off no end. And I did my very best NOT to go into full on bitch mode as I explained that NO, I wasn't anything of the kind and why it's a bad idea to suggest such things.
                    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                      I've actually always wondered about the dynamics of this. A lot of people do, but I feel drained when I go out in public, especially around crowds. I don't hate crowds and I enjoy going to events, festivals, and concerts but they make me sooo tired. But everyone else always feels buzzed.
                      If I don't actively keep myself grounded, I feel drained from large crowds too. But most people I know feel wired after something like that. *shrugs*

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                      We live in a universe pulsating with energy, any system of spiritual training can teach you how to accumulate it from your environment, and how to strengthen and balance the astral body so that your regular intake is increased, as part of your basic training. Choosing to take it from other people instead of the environment around you is pointless and selfish, and while various problems can cause a shortage of this energy, there are none I've ever heard of that would require this energy to be taken specifically from other people. It makes as much sense as shoving a tube down the throat of random people and pumping the oxygen out of their lungs into your own instead of having a doctor correct whatever is blocking your throat so you can inhale deeply from the atmosphere around you.
                      I absolutely agree with you here, but I was questioning your statement that draining the energy from another person is not efficient. That's the part that I don't agree with, because I don't feel that it's true. Of course you can learn other methods of gaining energy from around you, but this is one of those things where the system that you are most familiar with is going to be most efficient for you. If someone has the skill to send a drain out to the person next to them, but doesn't have the skills or inclination to do some proper work on their astral bodies to reduce that need, then which is most efficient? Draining from another person. It's all about where your skills and inclination lie.

I also happen to agree that any glitch in the astral body that requires energy from external sources is not specific to the energy of another person. But again, the point is that some people have learned to take it from other people and so that's the most effective and efficient way for them to obtain it. So arguing that taking it from another person is inefficient is inaccurate. But arguing that it is selfish and that there are less selfish ways to do it is obviously quite accurate.

But even then... if it's a consenting and mutually acceptable arrangement then who's to say that's selfish? Not all psychic vampires take energy from random strangers without asking them first. Sure, there is a great many who do, but not all of them. There are psychic vampires who have strict ethics regarding who and what they take from, and there are people who are happy to be cattle for them. Are those psychic vampires being selfish?

Comment

I haven't met any variations of a vampire but one- emotional vampire. Emotional vampires are brats that enjoy from certain emotions of people. Mostly they get joy when a person feels negative emotions.
                        But there are also people who are influenced by the weather. I am pretty one of them. These people can suffer from headaches, low activity and blood pressure. Their behavior may also differ.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I could fall into this category actually.
                          Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                            I could fall into this category actually.
                            Witch category the one of being a vampire of some sort?

Comment

Originally posted by JustMezz View Post
                              Witch category the one of being a vampire of some sort?
                              I guess it's the "being affected by the weather" category.
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                              X