Obamacare: NOT the rant version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obamacare: NOT the rant version

So people of America. How is your registration (or not) going with the new healthcare system? I found out my free county program is being covered by Medi-Cal. So still FREE! But now I have to make some choices. They sent me paperwork telling me to do nothing for now. I will be covered under Medi Cal. But now I got another letter saying I have to choose between a list of Medi Cal sponsored health programs. I have two. Which is way better then searching for ten I suppose. But now I have to wait till they tell me to pick. Then pick before the end of the year. It's all confusing. I have to go through the sites and find my doctor. I'd like to keep him. Pick new pharmacies etc. I'm grateful, sure. But I'm stressed.

So how's your registration going? Did you get a deduction in your insurance or are you paying more?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Obamacare: NOT the rant version

We get employer insurance through The Hubby's employer (we could get it thru me instead, but since we work for the same place, that would be double dipping, and its not allowed), but when I went to the Kaiser Foundation and used their calculator just to see, we'd basically pay what we pay now--the tax credit is about equal to what our employer pays now, and the cost difference would be negligible. The only problem there though, would be that The Hubby is a smoker, and they are allowed to charge extra for that...so the price might actually be more expensive if we had to buy on our own (or it might be incentive for him to quit a bit faster).
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna be the uninformed youngster and say I really don't know what the deal with Obamacare is. Tons of people seem angry but I hear lots of good things, especially from lower income persons.
      Circe

Comment

So far, I still have insurance from my employer, so I haven't looked into it.

The way things are going, though, I might have to sooner or later...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm a college student and I'm under 26. This means that I'm allowed to stay on my dad's insurance for a few more years. My biggest issue with Obamacare is what it's done to the economy in regards to finding a job. I've had 6 interviews at different businesses over the past year. All of them told me that my hours would be capped at about 20. At first I was thinking that I could work really hard and show my dependability to get more hours to help me cover the costs of school. I was wrong. I talked to my dad (who manages a large trucking company in my home state) and several managers about the cap. They all told me that it was permanent because it kept the company from having to provide health insurance. Basically my income as a student it lowered because no business is willing to give me the 25-30 hours I need to pay for food gas transportation etc. I'd take on a second job if I could but that'd be too much on my plate. Also it's extremely unlikely that a business will hire a student with another job. My schedule would be too closed for it to be worth it to them that's not even mentioning how unbelievably hard it was for me to find my current job and it's only seasonal.

In the end I'll be forced to take the government option unless I can find an employer with a private plan right out of college. It's easy to recognize the political agenda in all this.

Comment

You know the whole under hours thing has been going on for years. Most big companies do it so they don't have to give you benefits.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              You know the whole under hours thing has been going on for years. Most big companies do it so they don't have to give you benefits.
              Ain't that the truth. 15 years ago, at about a half dozen different jobs I held I could only average 20 hours a week so they could avoid having to offer benefits--including working for the Red Cross, the YMCA, the city gov't, and a hospital. In fact, the only place where I could work part-time (over 20) and have the option of getting health care was Wal-mart, McDonalds, and a different hospital (crappy health care at the first two, great at the second). Actually, the hospital (my mom works there) is giving all of their under 20 hour hour folks the option to increase to over 20...so not every business out there is using this as a convenient excuse to boost profit margins for a better stock price while they continue to sit on cash and not pay their employees a fair wage anyhow. But having ethics in business is apparently anti-capitalist or something, so I'll shut up on my off topic rant now.

<---joined the military for health insurance and a college education

(well, not exclusively for that, but it weighed more heavily on my decision than anything else and overcame most of my reservations on the matter)
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X