A Hypothetical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Hypothetical Question

By no means am I limiting this question to just a Heathen context. I put it here because this forum seems to get more traffic than the others, and I couldn't think of a more suitable place.

So let's assume that Christianity is replaced by one of the various traditional pagan religions.

Do you think that temples would offer things like sermons to followers?

Why or why not?

Do you think our modern society would allow for the kind of community based religion that existed in ancient times or would a more centralized approach to worship form?

Why or why not?

Re: A Hypothetical Question

Heathen wise what I could see happening "sermon" wise would be something along a great feast Hall. There might be story telling of the different Eddas and other such books and whatnot and discussions of what kinds of things the stories are trying to pass down to us, and then afterwords potluck feasting with a possible central fire where offerings might be placed for the gods.

Wiccans and such might adapt something like the above, adding in coven like ceremonies for offerings, spellwork, blessings, stuff like that.

However......as much as I would love for something like this to become a reality, I honestly don't see it being so. Not for quite a while. Too much fear and hate still around. As much as the world likes to preach that it's becoming more and more tolerant, its still REALLY not because of the fear and hatred of things they don't understand.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Comment

If you man standing up in front of others, lecturing on this or that subject...no, I don't see it happening.

But if your definition of "sermon" included things like themed ritual and/or the telling of tales...yeah, that I could see.

The big difference I find between christian group practice is the amount of "audience participation" involved. Even a first timer, unsure of being able to contribute, has hands on exposure.
      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
        Do you think that temples would offer things like sermons to followers?

Why or why not?
        No I don't think sermons would happen especially in this particular tradition. A gathering place, classes in certain topic and crafts, even a counsel maybe but not sermons.

Originally posted by Claude View Post
        Do you think our modern society would allow for the kind of community based religion that existed in ancient times or would a more centralized approach to worship form?

Why or why not?
        Yes. There are people I know who go to church just to have a community resource. I think if widespread there are many people who want to gather with like minded in their faith.

Comment

Working...
        X