This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly Things that Annoy You About the Community

I judge people so hard when they spell Hekate "Hecate".

Ohhh and when they assume that since a statue has three faces it must be a triple deity. That gets me going.

Re: Silly Things that Annoy You About the Community

Staying on the Hekate / Hecate theme. It drives me nuts when they say she is a crone. If one looks to the main three fold aspect for her then it is more logical she is the maiden, with Persephone being the mother and Demeter being the crone if one insists on the MMC symbology. I admit a close second though is when I hear them (collective use) speak and they (collective) stress the "H" in her name vice the "ECK" sound in its place.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Ok, so how do you spell it and say it?
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        Ok, so how do you spell it and say it?
        Basically Hekate (Ἑκατη or Ἑκατα) is the translation from Greek while Hecate is the translation from Latin. When spoken it would be closer to say Eck-a-tay as there is no "H" sound in archaic Greek. Figure Hercules would be pronounced as Er-a-clease or similar. http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html

I suppose the easiest would be when speaking about her in her Hellenic form it would be Hekate and reference through the Latin it would be Hecate. Though Hekate would be more correct to me as the Latin name pertains to the Hellenic goddess.

Comment

Alright, eckatay it is then! I'll stop annoying you now! (not that I have much to do with eckatay or the 'ellenic community)

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Alright, eckatay it is then! I'll stop annoying you now! (not that I have much to do with eckatay or the 'ellenic community)
            But that would be in speaking it. In writing it would be Hekate or Ἑκατη in archaic Greek. Have to admit as a norm I use both Hekate / Hecate in writing given that both are used today, so using both I know if someone is searching then that brings up both options. Heck Hekate tends to err out under the spellers as Hecate is listed as the correct spelling for the spell checkers.

Can't speak for Claude so not sure what his position would be.

Comment

Haha yeah I know. :P I will type Hekate, and say eckatay :P

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Haha yeah I know. :P I will type Hekate, and say eckatay :P
                Sorry been a long night

Comment

"The Eyes of Ra are only solar! No lunar connections!"

I myself was guilty of the above for a long time.
                  Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    Basically Hekate (Ἑκατη or Ἑκατα) is the translation from Greek while Hecate is the translation from Latin. When spoken it would be closer to say Eck-a-tay as there is no "H" sound in archaic Greek. Figure Hercules would be pronounced as Er-a-clease or similar. http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html

I suppose the easiest would be when speaking about her in her Hellenic form it would be Hekate and reference through the Latin it would be Hecate. Though Hekate would be more correct to me as the Latin name pertains to the Hellenic goddess.

That's actually really interesting. Thanks for that info

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
                      "The Eyes of Ra are only solar! No lunar connections!"

I myself was guilty of the above for a long time.
                      I always though Ra's eye was the sun or solar while Horus' eye was lunar. One of the reasons that Bastet was initially an Eye of Ra in her solar & protector connection that later changed to make her an eye of Horus and a lunar association. Though Horus fit both as one eye was the sun and one eye the moon.

Comment

Uuugggh, I had a whole post written up and then my computer got a signal 11. Goddess, I hate Linux sometimes.

Anyway, I was saying that the iconography for the Eye of Ra and the Eye of Horus were often combined in the form of a Wedjat flanked by cobras or cats. The idea of the Eye of Ra and Horus being the sun and moon respectively oversimplifies what they really are.

As far back as the Middle Kingdom, we find the Eye of Ra and Eye of Horus equated with each other. Hathor says, for example, "I am that Eye of Horus." and elsewhere says, "I have become the Eye of Horus and vice versa."

Of Bast, the Coffin Texts has this hymn:

Bastet, the daughter of Atum, the first daughter of the All Lord,
                        she is your protection till dawn,
                        until you descend into the necropolis;
                        the eye of Horus is she who sheds light for you,
                        she is with you in the necropolis.

Hell, the Eye goddesses weren't even always considered fiery. As Sopdet, They were associated with the coming of the Nile (this is especially true of Isis, Bast, and I think Hathor). Tefnut Herself is a goddess of moisture as well as fire. This hymn by Imiseba is illuminating:

the flood is your ba, and your pupil-and-iris is the dew,
                        your two eyes are the sun and the moon,
                        your head is heaven, your feet are the Netherworld

Because the Eyes of Ra shared functions (because "Eye of Ra" is a functional title, not a state of being), in many cases, who They are and what They do can be switched around. So while Tefnut is specifically associated with moisture, Bast and Hathor are both named as first daughters of Atum, and therefore can be said to share Tefnut's assocations.

The crux, in my opinion, is Hathor. Hathor is one of ancient Egypt's oldest goddesses, perhaps an "evolved" form of Bat. She shares many, many iconographies and what not with other Eyes of Ra. For example, a form of iconography associated with Hathor is cats, which you wouldn't necessarily expect, being She's more a bovine goddess. And in the case of Bast, there's some indication that Bast was considered a Lower Egyptian Hathor. In a temple at Giza, I believe, Hathor is named as the tutelary goddess of Upper Egypt while for Lower Egypt it's Bast.

Furthermore, Bast has some epithets that are very revealing in regards to Her associations with Hathor:

Lady of Dendera in Bubastis
                        The Foremost of Upper Egyptian Bubastis (named as Denderah)
                        The Foremost of Denderah
                        Last edited by Satu; 11 Nov 2013, 13:38. Reason: Argh, some of the text is too dark!
                        Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
                          .. I'm writing a super-long essay on Bast and the Eyes of Ra. I'm about 6000 words in with no sign of stopping. So that's why I have all this information put together every which where. XD
                          I'd love to read it sometime when you get it finished. I think a good understanding of how the Eye's of Ra and Horus work would go far in explaining Bastet with both her Kemetic and Hellenic influence. From a personal aspect might just be one of the clue's I seek to separate the Kemetic Bastet from the Hellenic Bastet (Pahket also for that matter).

Comment

magick, majik, majyc, magique, majik, majic, majique

Did I get them all?
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

When people try to replace 'god damn it' and 'Jesus Christ!' And 'oh my god' with the polytheistic counterparts. These words are all societal commonplace now. Just because I say 'Jesus, I can't wait for...x' doesn't mean I believe in Jesus. It's just a phrase.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X