White Magick and Christianity mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Magick and Christianity mix?

I know most Christians say that witchcraft is a sin, but I read that that part of the Bible was mistranslated on purpose to stop the free thinking medicinemen, they wanted an excuse to burn them at the stake I guess. Even if not mistranslated, I think God only meant black magick, I don't think he would have a problem with white magick since it's pretty much just the manipulation of energy and using herbs and oils to achieve a desired effect.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Re: White Magick and Christianity mix?

I'd personally say the issue here is that magic has no color it is intent of the person using it that suggests a white, black or gray tagging. The old definitions basically being white = good of others, black = harm to others and Grey applied to what was used for the benefit of the practitioner specifically though it might be black or white to the observer. To many the usage of herbs and oils also does not fall beneath magic but beneath alchemy or potions which rely upon energy or chemical reactions not personal manipulation (magic) to cause a change. Under many conditions one might even equate prayer as magic except it calls upon a divine sources to cause the action / reaction to occur vice manipulation by personal energy.

As far as God i'd say the Books of Solomon and the Goetia and such discounts that he is aligned or against any magical use. Considering most high or ceremonial magics are heavily stepped in Christian influences and dogma that to seems to go against what the general controlling aspect of Christianity seems to push. Then one also has to define which Christianity they are speaking of as there are many aspects that embrace magic such as Pow Wow magics for instance.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      I'd personally say the issue here is that magic has no color it is intent of the person using it that suggests a white, black or gray tagging. The old definitions basically being white = good of others, black = harm to others and Grey applied to what was used for the benefit of the practitioner specifically though it might be black or white to the observer. To many the usage of herbs and oils also does not fall beneath magic but beneath alchemy or potions which rely upon energy or chemical reactions not personal manipulation (magic) to cause a change. Under many conditions one might even equate prayer as magic except it calls upon a divine sources to cause the action / reaction to occur vice manipulation by personal energy.

As far as God i'd say the Books of Solomon and the Goetia and such discounts that he is aligned or against any magical use. Considering most high or ceremonial magics are heavily stepped in Christian influences and dogma that to seems to go against what the general controlling aspect of Christianity seems to push. Then one also has to define which Christianity they are speaking of as there are many aspects that embrace magic such as Pow Wow magics for instance.
      I would be practicing exclusively magick that is used to help others, although some of the magick I might practice will probably be gray (but limited to spells that help me in tough situations, nothing that harms others). And I was thinking of becoming a Universalist.

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
        I would be practicing exclusively magick that is used to help others, although some of the magick I might practice will probably be gray (but limited to spells that help me in tough situations, nothing that harms others). And I was thinking of becoming a Universalist.
        But there in is the issue for many in that to aid one you have to harm another. It's like if I aid you in getting a job then I have pulled fate, chance, energy, etc away from another who is competing for the same position and directed it the collective you. Granted the job is just an example but the theory applies to any thing you try to actively manipulate to change favor from one person to another. So to one it's white magic being utilized, to another its black magic being used against them.

That's where ethics and morality comes into play for so many in deciding what is good, what is bad and what is self serving.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          But there in is the issue for many in that to aid one you have to harm another. It's like if I aid you in getting a job then I have pulled fate, chance, energy, etc away from another who is competing for the same position and directed it the collective you. Granted the job is just an example but the theory applies to any thing you try to actively manipulate to change favor from one person to another. So to one it's white magic being utilized, to another its black magic being used against them.

That's where ethics and morality comes into play for so many in deciding what is good, what is bad and what is self serving.
          I wouldn't use any magick that affects money, only healing magick.

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most traditional Christianity sees magic and divination as sins. Unless you plan to follow a gnostic or heretical type of Christianity, or a blended faith like Santeria, I think this might be hard to accomplish and be true to either belief system.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
              Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most traditional Christianity sees magic and divination as sins. Unless you plan to follow a gnostic or heretical type of Christianity, or a blended faith like Santeria, I think this might be hard to accomplish and be true to either belief system.
              Because practicing heretical Christianity would be a bad thing...? I do I every day.

Also, to the OP, I already gave my why in the other thread, but I don't think this would be an issue. I mean, I don't practice magic, but I'm certain my girlfriend isn't sinning when she casts healing spells, for the reasons in the other threaddddd (wow I'm repetitive)
              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                Because practicing heretical Christianity would be a bad thing...? I do I every day.

Also, to the OP, I already gave my why in the other thread, but I don't think this would be an issue. I mean, I don't practice magic, but I'm certain my girlfriend isn't sinning when she casts healing spells, for the reasons in the other threaddddd (wow I'm repetitive)
                I didn't say it was a bad thing, I just said it as a fact. I know plenty of heretical Christians. I just wanted to make sure that was what the OP meant, vs. standard organized Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
                  I didn't say it was a bad thing, I just said it as a fact. I know plenty of heretical Christians. I just wanted to make sure that was what the OP meant, vs. standard organized Christianity.
                  My religion at this point, is most likely Universalist, so I don't think it would be a sin for me.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
                      I would be practicing exclusively magick that is used to help others
                      Hmmm, yeah, let me tell you a story of a "good" spell done for another's benefit and the nasty fall out of it.

A friend had a big presentation to make at the end of the week and to hear him tell it, his job was riding on it going well. Sadly, he was in the grips of a killer head cold. So he asked for a healing to be done.

Okay, sure. There you go, one healing. And you know what? His symptoms cleared up. Friday came and he knocked it out of the park with his presentation.

Then Saturday came and found him in the hospital with pneumonia.

Why? Because the spell kept the body going when the cold was the body's way of saying "Hey Mofo! I'm over worked and I need rest." So since it wasn't getting what it needed the health situation got a LOT worse as the body forced it's point.

As the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
                      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                      X