This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can a binge eater lose weight?

My experience is in line with what you are experiencing.

I have come down from 260lbs (at my heaviest) to 210-215lbs (my weight fluctuates by 5-10lbs on a daily basis).

My solution was 2 part.

1) my bicycle.
    2) eat more often. By eating more often, I don't ever get that sensation of extreme hunger. I don't get the urge to binge. A handful of peanuts, a granola bar, some trail mix. Every hour or two, or whenever I feel a little hungry, I have a bite or two of something. As a result, I actually eat less food in a day than I did when I was just eating 2-3 times per day.

In my experience, counting calories or carbs, or whatever doesn't work. It is depressing. It makes you feel restricted. Focus on hunger. Don't let yourself get hungry (but don't binge every time you feel a little bit hungry, either). If you eat a little bit of something healthy every hour or two, your body will think that you are eating a lot, and not feel that urge to binge.

Your mileage may vary, and all that... but that has been what works for me.
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
      Thanks for all the responses.

Counselling for eating disorders is really expensive. I really cant afford it so I am doing it on my own. I actually had the binges pretty much under control for the most part before I tried to lose weight. I am morbidly obese. I cannot go on like this as I am. If a binge eater cannot diet to lose weight then maybe the only way I can lose weight is to purge with excercise every time I eat something naughty.
      Regular exercise MUST be a part of your day. No amount of intake control will shift morbidly obese weight if you are not exercising.

Having said that, start small. 5 minutes a day is better than nothing. And 5 minutes a day is actually better than 30 minutes once a week. It should be regular and slowly increase depending on what your heart and lungs can physically tolerate. It should NEVER be about burning off what you ate, but a regular part of your daily routine that increases with your abilities. ThorsSon's bike is a good example of that... rather than go to the gym or go running, cycle or walk every single day, even if it's just around the block.

Plus I agree with Aeran... weight loss when you're morbidly obese really should be under the supervision of a doctor. Even if you can find one that bulk bills so that you don't have to pay the gap.

Comment

Nothing is impossible if we do it with all the effort we can do,This is how i feel personally doing something that is apppropriate for our health is what we gotta do.
        So the given advises are correct for you.

Comment

I am trying to lose weight myself. What I have found to help me is coconut water and exercise. When I do those consistently I start to shed pounds. Also have you heard of garcinia cambogia you can get at the health food store, if you take that 20 minutes before a meal, it's supposed to help you lose weight... oh coconut water boosts metabolism from what I've read...
          I find that food is a way that I manage stress... and I just feel if the world were less stressful then I would be skinny, but I really don't have excuses anymore it's a new year, time to take better care of myself....
          binge eating is obviously not the healthiest way to go... so I hope my suggestions helped, I will have to keep at it myself, I'm hoping to lose at least twenty pounds by spring! Blessings!

Comment

Talk to a psychologist. There's something going on in your head here that's the root of everything.

Imo.

Comment

Losing weight is, annoyingly, very hard.

I have strugled with it a lot myself.

The thing that helped me, surprisingly, was a book that had nothing to do with weight loss; 'The Artists's Way', by Julia Cameron. I didn't initially start off doing the tasks in the book to lose weight; I was just trying to improve my art.

The tasks don't just help with creative endevors though; they help you to look at yourself in totality and the goals you have and the person you want to be. It helps you change yourself into that new person.

She even says at some point in the book that its like letting your old self die, grieving for that old self, then being reborn as your new self. If you can't afford therapy, this might be a good alternative, as it is a kind of therapy book that helps you help yourself.

I'm not a docotor or anything and perhaps it would be best to consult with a medical professional or what have you; I just wanted to share what worked for me.

Good luck

Comment

I struggled with disordered eating for a long time. I'm too anti authoritarian to work well with most therapists, even when I can afford to, and didn't like group(it felt like we were all just picking up new tricks from each other).

The thing that worked for me was to finally work up my courage and talk to a doctor. I got a full work up, and was diagnosed with PCOS, including insulin resistance. I admitted that I struggled with anxiety and depression, and couldn't motivate myself to exercise no matter how hard I tried. I was put on medications--for the anxiety, the depression, and the insulin issues--and it changed my life.

There is a lot of stigma when it comes to medication. For some people, though, it really is the best option, and there should be no shame in that.

With my insulin working properly, I stopped binge eating and no longer felt a need to purge. It started to feel right to eat multiple small meals and follow the diabetic diet. Since then I have lost over 100 lbs.

I don't know if it would help you the same way, but it's worth a shot. Start with a doctor, and go from there.

I would also suggest a book called Eating By The Light Of The Moon
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Seek professional help, it sounds like you might have BED or something like that and then the weight itself isn't the actual problem.

Besides, counting calories and restrictive eating is a recipe for disaster for anyone.

I've been in treatment for ED myself and I met a few people who suffered from it.
                  But, I'm not a doctor so don't take my thoughts on this as the truth, you just remind me of those I've met and if it is the case - you shouldn't be suffering longer than necessary.

Sorry if I'm way out of line here, I don't even know you, feel free to ignore/tell me to keep my mouth shut.

Comment

I lost lots of weight in 06/07 by walking. Not marathons, just a half mile here, a mile there, about 5 days a week. Now that I cannot do that anymore the weight is creeping back and I'm not happy.

Back in high school I kept food diaries, counted calories, etc. I was thin but didn't think I was!
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Really this is reliable details i like this actually i was in looking for this details and considering to create a line for this but i have no need to create any line after study out this details anyways thanks for this and have a awesome day

Comment

I agree with others that, if at all possible, you should seek medical help with this.

That being said, I think that you should take the emphasis off of dieting and put it on just being healthy. Get rid of obviously unhealthy food items (cookies, chips, etc) and as much of the processed stuff as you are able (processed foods are too handy for snacking on and tend to include ingredients that are too heavily processed), and replace them with whole foods (fruit, veggies, nuts, eggs, etc). I know that if I am craving something like a granola bar but have to bake some first, I'm probably going to just grab an orange out of laziness. The orange is a better choice and I use my innate laziness to make that better choice LOL.

Find ways of incorporating activity into your daily life, even if it's just (like another suggested) a walk around the block or maybe extra housework (Floor doesn't need sweeping? Oh, well. Sweep it anyway).

My issue with weight (top of obese range) is eating out of boredom and being very, very sedentary. I'm working on making sure that I have lots of engaging things to do (to keep me from seeking food for stimulation), and being more active around the house (using toilet on different floor so that I have to do a flight of stairs periodically, and so on) and making housework a little more physically demanding (scrubbing floor on hands and knees instead of just mopping, etc). I live in Ontario, Canada, and it's cold enough outside right now that going for a walk is somewhat horrible, so I'm doing what I can inside.

I have T2 diabetes and a few years ago lost about 60lbs (from 195lbs down to 137lbs; I'm 5'0" btw) by eating fairly low carb (60g/day), and lowish calorie (1200-1500/day), and by exercising about 7 hours per week at moderate exertion, but it wasn't sustainable for me and I've gained all but 15lbs of it back. Now I'm doing what I suggested above (while keeping my carbs low enough so that my blood sugar stays normal). I think that it will be more sustainable for the long run.

Oh, and I'm trying to lay off the wine. Hardest thing so far LOL.

Comment

Losing weight is not a very hardest thing. We can easily reduce weight with doing regular exercise. I have reduced lot of weight with doing regular walk. I do walk everyday for at least 30 minutes. Jogging and running are also very useful exercises for weight lose.

Comment

Originally posted by JackAlbertson View Post
                            Losing weight is not a very hardest thing. We can easily reduce weight with doing regular exercise. I have reduced lot of weight with doing regular walk. I do walk everyday for at least 30 minutes. Jogging and running are also very useful exercises for weight lose.
                            Reply must.

Comment

Originally posted by JackAlbertson View Post
                              I support the opinion.
                              In addition, as others said, balanced eating is important as well.

Research shows that calories are mostly gone on fresh air. So spending time outside might be useful. Whether it's a simple walk between 30-70 minutes, meeting with friends and so on.
                              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I have managed to get control over the binges (except around that time of the month). Unfortunately my weight has ballooned. So I am looking at what I can do now at this massive size. If I could afford to I would go back to the psych to see if maybe I still have some issues that I havent yet worked through that could be contributing to a self sabotage of some sort.
                                There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
                                William Wordsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X