Gathering Late Autumn Wild Medicinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gathering Late Autumn Wild Medicinals

In case I have never said this, I love my life.

I spent the morning gathering some wild medicinals from the woods on the farm. It was a wonderfully peaceful morning and I thought I would share some of the pictures I took of what I gathered.

IMG_0059.jpgIMG_0060.jpg

The first and second pictures are of three of the late autumn red berries of the wilds drying on the warming shelf of the wood burning kitchen range in the stillroom. The front berries are hawthorns, the middle are rosehips and the far ones are barberry. They'll dry here for a couple of days and then they'll be ready for winter teas.

IMG_0098.jpg

The third picture is just one of the trail past the ponds. In the summer this is so green and full of wild flowers. Now everything is resting and there's a stillness about the place, like the energies are holding their breath.

IMG_0138.jpg

The forth picture is of my main winter green, watercress. I harvest it from the springs to have a safe and healthy supply and this is growing in white stone spring. I know it's an acquired taste, but because I eat seasonally and from nature, in January when there's a couple feet of snow on the ground, it is some of the best tasting stuff around.

IMG_0151.jpg

The last picture is of the barberry root being cleaned up for tincture. I love the way root tinctures look...kind of creepy and all twisted. Working with root energy is really powerful stuff.

Anyway, back to work. I've still got to go to the uplands and get my blue cohosh and a couple bushels of sunchokes for the root cellar. Saturday is the start of deer hunt and I have to get as much done as I can today so I'm not out in the woods disturbing them tomorrow.

Re: Gathering Late Autumn Wild Medicinals

I'm in awe.

Comment

I am incredibly jealous! That is lovely. You are very blessed to have access to these things.

Comment

Thank you, I just needed to share the morning because it was such a lovely one.

Comment

Working...
        X