Dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreams

This original post is kind of just me getting my thoughts down, so please bear with me...

Today I realized something about dreams. In life, the only way we can perceive what is around us is from a tenth of a second in the past. Nothing around us is truly what we are seeing. Every image we see with our eyes is outdated by just a fraction of a second.

But in a dream, everything can be seen. There is no definitive "time" in a dream - people often have dreams that progress for months... in the course of eight to ten hours. Could one not have a dream that lasts eternally? Are things not exactly as they are in a dream?

Is there an intermediary between your consciousness and what is going on in a dream? Is everything not completely clear? When I look at the blue sky with my eyes, I fret about the imperfections of my vision - it doesn't seem "pure" blue. Maybe perception is actually clearer outside of the physical.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but for some reason I feel like I had this big "light bulb moment" today.

Thanks for reading anyway. Does anyone else feel similarly?

Re: Dreams

I think I get what you are going for, but I'm not sure I agree. While it's true that perception is different in dreams its more about not having an outside point of reference. That's what effects the supposed movement of time in dreams, not that there is no delay between our senses and our awareness.

It's not a tenth of a second. It's a billionth of a second. Your senses and your brain are so much more advanced than you may even realize. Honestly, I think we're more likely to be deceived by dreams, since they are just figments in our brain; sometimes coherent but often just random firing of neurons as your brain resets from the stress of being awake.

If my dreams were any indication of my mental and spiritual state...well, I'd be in a hospital on a high dose of Thorazine. Your mileage may vary, but all I can gauge from my dreams is what might be stressing me, things I subconsciously try to ignore, etc. There can be good things to learn in there, but I don't know that and average dream is nearly as profound as most people seem to believe. I think there are exceptions to the rule, and I know I've had dreams that were most definitely profound, but those are few and far between, at least for me.

Comment

Sorry about saying "tenth." I meant to say "fraction" because I didn't know the exact time frame, I just knew there was a very short delay.

What I think I am really doing here is saying that "perceiving eternity" doesn't have to be a problem and that our consciousness is limited in its perception of the world, in its current vessel. For example, we cannot "see" any of the electromagnetic spectrum other than visible light. I could go on to say that we are also limited in that right now we cannot "see" into other planes. That would be a bit more speculative though... not that this isn't mostly about the philosophy of perception anyway.

Comment

I understad dreams as 1 one life in other world (Duat). But I can't control things like meeting people and going everywhere I want.
        But I agree with you about the factor of time. It's a troublesome thing.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
        X