Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is Alchemy?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

Re: What the heck is Alchemy?

K got things typed and charts inked over. For lack of a scanner I had to take pics of the charts that would've been scanned so they are a little blurry lol. For lack of how to post this I'll do a post per section I think... The following several posts are what I was taught by the occultist who runs the local apothecary I attend classes at.

Alchemy is more than just metal working or ancient chemistry. It is everything, it is the universal truth. Everything you do is alchemy. There is one rule for alchemy, you can NOT mix fire and water.

What You can do with alchemy:

You can use alchemical principles in all aspects of life. You can prepare meals alchemically, they will taste better, sit well in the system and have a great affect on those who eat it. If you have a meal that's prepared against the alchemical rule, it will cause indigestion.

It is widely known that red cars get pulled over more, but if you look at the alchemy, red is mars. It creates passion, often adversarial feelings, in others. A silver car (moon) will often be over-looked or let go on lesser charges.

The countries that other countries don't like, all have flags that violate the alchemical rule, they contain red and white.

Going to a meeting where it'll help to have the ability to control others? Wear Saturnal colours: black and purple. Black will ward against negativity, the purple is saturn's domination, debauchery, control and lust colour. Combined they do well for situations where persuasion is needed.

You can also apply alchemy to healing. If you use the chakra system or find the associations for the part of the body that's injured you can use alchemy to mix a transmutation to aide the healing. For ex: The thyroid is part of the lymphatic system and located in the throat. It is part of the system that is responsible for healing us (Jupiter). If you look at the chakra belief, it is a part of the throat chakra which is blue (Jupiter) and associated with communication (Jupiter and Mercury). To heal the thyroid you could use a blend that contains Jupiter, Mercury and Sun (for success). If you have a blood problem that you needed help with, use an oil that's associated with Mars.

Notes on Money Spells:
    Green does not equal money, the value of currency is the amount of gold a country has that is not promised out to debt. So Gold is the colour for money spells. Do not use Saturn for money spells, it is money at a severe cost. Using Saturn for money is much like asking a chaos deity for money, you will get it at a great expense to you: aunt dies and leaves an inheritance, car will be totaled so you can collect the insurance pay out, you will be hit by a car and get a settlement, etc.
    Love+money=prostitute

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

This part teaches you how to properly blend oils. A note in selecting oils. It only takes 3 drops of oil into a carrier oil for it to be called "pure essential oil". You must test the oils before you blend them. You do so by starting to inhale and pass the oil under your nose 3 times. If there is any variance in the smell there is a carrier oil and do not buy it. You'll notice that the blending section does not have carrier oils included in the blends, they throw off the planets thus degrading the blend.

Parts:
    -incense: a part for incense is much like cooking measurement, it can be a Tablespoon, teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon, etc.
    -oil: a part for an oil is dividing the bottle by the number of ingredients.

(for the next part, refer to the blending chart in the images folder)

Blending:
    Rose and Cinnamon can mix, both have Sun
    Rose, Cinnamon and Patchouli can mix, Rose and Cinnamon have Sun and Rose and Patchouli have Venus
    Patchouli and Jasmine can mix, both have Venus.
    All four cannot be mixed, Sun and Moon violates Alchemy's one rule.

The three different love elixir examples use the same ingredients, but the planets are mixed differently to create different results.
    A: Mostly venus and sun. It Will have successful love and attraction, not much passion. Think good friend.
    B: Mostly venus and saturn. It Will have intense love and lust, but burn out quickly.
    C: All is balanced with slightly more sun and venus. It will be successful passionate love with a little debauchery.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Perfect Elixir:
    Planets affect around you; Elements affect within you.
    Your goals cannot conflict with each other or your element.

The perfect elixir is when you blend so that the outcome will align with your personality. The perfect elixir is temporary, it will only last about three months. You will have to re-evaluate your personality to see if the element changed. When you evaluate your personality you MUST be honest with your flaws.

When creating the elixir you must look at your goals and make sure the planets work without violating your personality. In order to balance the personality you need to use a minimal amount of the element to be balanced while raising the counter elements.

To find your personality. Go through the chart (see ref pic in images) and circle which personality flaw you have, every one will have at least one in each column. The column with the most is the element you need to balance. To balance it use the chart below and chose planets that fit within the needed elements.

Balancing elements:
    - fire: raise earth and air
    - air: raise earth and water (for more tranquility) OR earth and fire (for more passion)
    - water: raise earth and air
    - earth: water and air (builds on existing) OR fire and air cleanses for a rebuild)

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Examples of blending perfect elixirs

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Incense Creation:
    When you add parts of a plant, it adds another planetary aspect to the ingredient.
    - Resins add Sun
    - Seeds, Leaves, and Flowers add Venus
    - Bark adds Mars
    - Roots add Saturn
    *Be careful not to use a part that violates the alchemical rule!

Almost anything can be blended into an incense. When you add oil, bones, body parts or stones in the incense blend, it will always be 1 part no matter how much you use. How much oil you use will be dependant on your incense type. The fast incense blends will be moist, but still dry enough to burn. The transmuted blends will need to be wet, but not soaked.

Low Magick: fast, low preparation, wicca, fast incense
    High Magick: precise, high preparation, ceremonial magick, transmutation
    Fast Incense is 5 separate herbs, can have times of smelling more frankincense in one pinch over another.
    Transmutation creates a whole new herb out of the ingredients. All pinches will smell the same from the oils of the ingredients sweat into each other.

In selecting your herbs be wary of sources as well. Be sure that they come from trusted sources. It's ok, even preferred to ask a store who their sources are or to demand the growing condition reports from a supplier. The better the conditions, the stronger the plant will be for use. If you use bad ingredients you'll have a weaker blend.
    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

Transmutation:

The transmutation process is a long, energy consuming process, so be sure to make a lot of it. When you start the process you will need an air tight container. DO NOT OPEN during the process, it will mold if you let in fresh air. You must also be precise with the timing. You have two hours variance to move in between stages. Any later than that it will mold and you will need to start over with fresh ingredients and a fresh container.

Transmutation schedule:
    - refrigerated 2 weeks
    - room temp 1 week
    - refrigerated 2 weeks
    - heated 2 weeks (think above room temp, not cooking... don't microwave, heat in oven, etc. a coffee mug warmer will work, as will behind the computer if you have one that puts out that much heat, etc.)
    - refrigerated 3 weeks
    - room temp 2 weeks.

DONE! Oils will last forever without changing as long as they don't have a carrier oil to separate from. Incenses will get more powerful and smell better with age. One that's been in the container for 12 yrs will be much more potent than one that was just created. The strength of the incense will also depend on the energy you focus into it. It will work if you just go through the process, but if you concentrate intent into the incense it will be more powerful.

You can transmute yourself (or others) into your blends to create a much more powerful bond to the incense. If you're trying to do a healing blend for someone, add a piece of them into it.
    -Moon: spit, tears
    -Saturn: sweat, puss, waste
    -Mars&Venus (both combined): blood
    -Venus: female ejaculate
    -Mars: male ejaculate
    -Mercury: gas, mucus
    -Jupiter: plasma, clear mucus
    *external parts and bones don't have designated planets.

Necromantic Additions:

As stated briefly you can add in all kinds of parts. If you take a fetish (part of a being with great power, like the eye of a bat) you can dry it and grind it into the transmuted incense. The part to consider will be 1 and if it has an association you'll have to take that into consideration.
    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Wow! Thant's a heck of a lot of information!

Thanks for posting that, KashakuTatsu - it's going to take me a while to assimilate it all...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

My father (many years ago) practised alchemy... our kitchen was full of the small ridged bottles with the skull and crossbones on them to denote poison. I often think that modern day health and safety would probably have a fit! Although he would talk to me about herbs a lot, he rarely talked about alchemy. I think he tried to when I was about eight (it has to be said that my father had little clue about what children do at that age) but when I showed no real aptitude, he gave up. I wish he was here now to ask him so many things.

However, I have had a longstanding interest in the alchemical ideas of the Florentine Renaissance. In particular the works of Marsilio Ficino who worked for the Medici. There is a lot of work to be done, I feel, teasing out the alchemical meanings of some famous paintings (including Botticelli's Primavera and Di Cosimo's Death of Procris. I did quite a bit on this last painting a year or so ago... it was absolutely fascinating, but alas there is littloe information out there to guide us.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I found this nifty book...which I found pretty interesting, and raised some alchemy questions for me (particularly after finishing a fiction book by Deborah Harkness which features alchemical texts)...

What do you know about Elias Ashmole?
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Actually, I know nothing of Ashmole at all. I had to wikki him.

It wouldn't have been at all unusual for a founder of Of the Royal Society to have been an Alchemist. You have to remember that from around 1200 to as late as the beginning of the 19th century, pretty much everybody who was involved in the sciences in Europe was working from an Alchemist's perspective - or working their way out of it. The mode of thought was so pervasive in society that even the uneducated would have known something about it, in much the same way that most people in the 50's and 60's could have told you about Freudian concepts like a "phallic symbol" or "Oedipal complex."

In Shelly's Frankenstein (1818), the old books that Victor is studying are most likely the works of Alchemists - a lot of their writing is about returning life to dead matter:

"And know this, that except one understandeth how to mortify (kill) to induce generation (create new life), to vivify (bring to life) the Spirit, to cleanse and introduce Light, until they fight with each other and grow white and freed from their defilements (decay/corruption), as blackness and darkness, he knoweth nothing, nor can he perform anything..." from The Golden Testament of Hermes

So what interests you about Ashmole?

(I'll have to take a look at Harkness. I'd like to see how she uses the texts. Dan Brown made use of a bit of Alchemy in his last book - he actually had a good idea about what he was talking about)

(I just wikki'd her too. Are you talking about the novel A Discovery of Witches? It sounds like it might be good...)

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    So what interests you about Ashmole?

(I'll have to take a look at Harkness. I'd like to see how she uses the texts. Dan Brown made use of a bit of Alchemy in his last book - he actually had a good idea about what he was talking about)

(I just wikki'd her too. Are you talking about the novel A Discovery of Witches? It sounds like it might be good...)
    yup, that was the book--she uses a (fake) text of Ashmole's to build her story on. I reviewed it a week or two ago... I think what is cool about her is that she is IRL an actual historian.

Ashmole just seems like an interesting character.

I also came across a reference (in the English Magic) book--their Alchemy section focus more on spagyric (sp?) alchemy, and the merger into Hermeticism--to Mary Ann Atwood's "A Suggestive Inquiry into the Hermetic Mystery", which I want to read because I'm a bit interested in 19th century occult (to go along with my 19th century interest in science--they were still in some ways closely aligned)...

What is the significance of the Chemical Wedding?

Also...how do you see the elements in terms of alchemy?

ETA: I found this quote in a review of Atwood's book "this is to be accomplished by understanding the Elementals of Earth, Air, Water, and Fire. Of these, the first three are the Principles. Air symbolizes the conscious mind. Earth symbolizes the primeval mind. Water symbolizes the subconscious mind. The term "Elementals" includes Fire that symbolizes sentience. To "know thyself" in this way was the beginning of their philosophy." Is this basically accurate? Can you expand on it if it is? (this makes alot of sense to me)
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Bloody 'ell. I just typed out a huge response, and lost it by punching the wrong button. I'll have to come back and try again tomorrow... Hermes just kicked me in a soft spot again...

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

I absolutely HATE that!!

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I also came across a reference (in the English Magic) book--their Alchemy section focus more on spagyric (sp?) alchemy, and the merger into Hermeticism--to Mary Ann Atwood's "A Suggestive Inquiry into the Hermetic Mystery", which I want to read because I'm a bit interested in 19th century occult (to go along with my 19th century interest in science--they were still in some ways closely aligned)…
    Not surprising - spagyrics was one of the main strains running through Alchemy after about 1600 or so. If you were looking at the history of European medicine, you’d get to spagyrics (Paracelsus), but, if you were looking at the history of European chemistry, you’d end up with the puffers - like Boyle.

Paracelsus (I’ve been using a quote from him in my signature) - his birth name was Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim (it’s easy to see why he felt compelled to use a shorter name professionally) - was working in the middle of the 16th century. He was famous for his skill as a doctor/healer, AND for the attacks he made on his contemporaries.

It’s funny. He’d just be writing his lab manual (you can actually follow his procedures and repeat them from his written instructions), then he’d suddenly launch into a vehement attack on somebody. You can see both in this: http://www.levity.com/alchemy/paracel1.html

We get the word “bombast,” meaning “a loud mouthed wind bag” from his birth name.

Anyway, one of the things he raved on about the most was the “true purpose” of Alchemy - in his view, that purpose was healing, and spagyrics is the art of making medicines using Alchemical theory. Pretty much any doctor after Paracelsus would have been intimately familiar with his writing, so spagyrics, Paracelsus style, WAS medicine for a very long time.

Technically, Alchemy has always been a Hermetic Science. In fact, it seems to be the only one which still acknowledges Hermes as the teacher - the Hermetic Sciences were the arts and sciences which were (or said to have been) first taught to humans by Hermes (sometimes called “Thoth-Hermes”). They included: Alchemy, magic, medicine, math, astrology, engineering, and a few others I can’t recall off hand.

As time went by, the sciences (medicine, math, engineering) started to separate from the “occult” sciences (Alchemy, magic, astrology), which got lumped together as “Hermetic.” Alchemy kind of disappeared when it went out of style until it was picked up again by 19th century magicians and astrologers. Some form of spagyrics was probably still around, though.

Personally, I don’t put Alchemy in the same category as magic, but I don’t know where it really does belong either. Kind of like Buddhism - is it a religion? A mystical world view? A Philosophy? A set of mental manipulations?….

The Alchemists did refer to Alchemy as an “occult” art, but they were using the older definition of “occult” which meant “hidden from the eye” (not “magic” as it seems to mean today) because half of their work took place where nobody could see it - in inner space.

What is the significance of the Chemical Wedding?
    Actually, there are two separate answers to that. I’ll give you the short long one first, and the long long one after, if you’re still awake.

1. Around 1670 or so an anonymous book started to circulate throughout Europe titled The Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz. It was believed to have been put out by a group called the Rosicrucians (Rosicrucians = Christian Rosencrantz - get it?). What these guys were isn’t really clear. I think they were trying to form some kind of Alchemist’s brotherhood, and these were their texts. I’m not sure, though. I don’t think anybody knows.

They were also somehow associated with the Freemason. It might have been a cross membership thing, or the Freemasons may be some kind of offshoot of the Rosicrucians. Again, it’s a mystery.

Anyway, The Chymical Wedding is worth reading. Here’s a link: http://www.crcsite.org/wedding1.htm (LOL - it’s from the Rosicrucian website).

It’s an allegory centered around a very peculiar wedding. It’s definitely based on Alchemical symbols, processes, and transformations, but… it doesn’t “feel” right to me. Uhmmm… it’s like… Yeah - this is it - The Chymical Wedding is a mnemonic memory device. The odd things are intended to trigger memories of whatever the Rosicrucians were teaching, but the actual Alchemy texts are more like poetry. They have a meaning, but the interpretation is soft, or fuzzy, or personal - at least in part.

The idea of the “Chymical Wedding”” is appropriate for a quasi (IMHO) Alchemy text because the Chymical Wedding, and even more so the Chymical Honeymoon, are central to Alchemy. This brings us to the long long explanation…

2. To come… The Chymical Wedding, and what happens later. With Pictures. Must be 18 or older. Show your ID at the door.