Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: becoming a demigod

Dec 2013
    Religion
    Christian
    Phrase
    Free will is a length of rope: God wants you to hang yourself with it.

Re: becoming a demigod

Quote Originally Posted by Denarius View Post
    It's a terrible source for research, but why does it matter where an interest in a subject comes from?
    I imagine it would matter as it would provide insight as to why that person has displayed interest.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    spiritual satanist

I watch anime for entertainment. It has nothing to do with research. But just like other forms of entertainment it can cause questions to arise.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Agnostic

Quote Originally Posted by Denarius View Post
    It's a terrible source for research, but why does it matter where an interest in a subject comes from?
    "My question is is it possible for someone to become a demigod. I personally think its not, but I watch a tun of anime...."

The way it reads makes it sound like the anime(s) in question have caused him to second guess the topic, meaning that he is putting stock in them as opposed to simply doing some research. Or he could have simply not mentioned the anime.

I'm not attacking here, I'm just curious as to why it was necessary to bring up the anime, which kind of makes this thread seem silly to me. No worries. I won't be posting anymore on this.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.
    http://thebadchoicesivemaderecently.blogspot.com/

Dec 2013
    Religion
    chaos witch

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    Oh, and anime is a terrible starting point for "research."
    From what I have seen, it's as good as place as any.

Jan 2013
    Religion
    Hermeticism

Well personally I can't stand anime But, while I'm not sure what would qualify as a 'demi-god,' I certainly believe that it's possible to achieve through psycho-spiritual development a level of power that would appear 'god-like' to many people, examples of which can be found in any culture, or as a result of any real system of internal development, the immortals of Taoist tradition, the adepts of the west, etc etc. This power generally (although not always) develops hand in hand with spiritual growth and the expansion of consciousness.

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

Some people would argue that certain celebrities and historical figures have gained that status. Not me, but some people.

Banned!
    Nov 2012
    Religion
    Druidism

I always wondered why Jesus isn't depicted as a demi god. I mean his father his God and his mother his Mary so you think he'd be half god. I figure a demi god is a product from both god and human blood or someone who attains godlike power but didn't come from the heavens.

Dec 2013
    Religion
    spiritual
    Phrase
    Hazah!

Quote Originally Posted by Alienist View Post
    I always wondered why Jesus isn't depicted as a demi god. I mean his father his God and his mother his Mary so you think he'd be half god. I figure a demi god is a product from both god and human blood or someone who attains godlike power but didn't come from the heavens.
    If Jesus is God made flesh, then how can He only be half of Himself? That just sounds silly.

Banned!
    Nov 2012
    Religion
    Druidism

Quote Originally Posted by blue_coyote View Post
    If Jesus is God made flesh, then how can He only be half of Himself? That just sounds silly.
    Yeah but he's the Son of God and yet he's God himself which would then make him his own father and that doesn't sound strange to you?

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienist View Post
    Yeah but he's the Son of God and yet he's God himself which would then make him his own father and that doesn't sound strange to you?
    Out of the countless mythologies and beliefs available to humanity? No, not really. A Power on a mission sometimes uses weird as hell methodologies to accomplish their goals.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis