Which witch is which? (a discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which witch is which? (a discussion)

Forgive me if this is ignorant but I simply don't understand if there's a difference between a reverence for nature and a "real path." Is there something specific that makes green GREEN?
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Re: Hedge/Nature/Green Traditions

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
    Forgive me if this is ignorant but I simply don't understand if there's a difference between a reverence for nature and a "real path." Is there something specific that makes green GREEN?
    It's a real path if you're walking it.

What makes it green? You decided it is.

To be specific, I guess would expect "green" witchcraft to be defined by most as an affinity to herbcraft, botany and growing things and working with that energy, though I suppose it could mean someone who considered themselves an eco-friendly witch too, as in green energy, etc.

Since most of these are solitary practices, it's sort of about semantics. Its only is a real issue if you are trying to find other people to work with.

Comment

Re: Hedge/Nature/Green Traditions

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
      It's a real path if you're walking it.

What makes it green? You decided it is.

To be specific, I guess would expect "green" witchcraft to be defined by most as an affinity to herbcraft, botany and growing things and working with that energy, though I suppose it could mean someone who considered themselves an eco-friendly witch too, as in green energy, etc.

Since most of these are solitary practices, it's sort of about semantics. Its only is a real issue if you are trying to find other people to work with.
      I tend to associate "Green witchcraft" with witchcraft a la Ann Moura.

This could totally be a thread of its own, if you combined it with the whole hedge/kitchen/cottage witch thingy. Actually, I tend to think of them all as the same-ish...and leave the hair splitting to the individual.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Re: Which witch is which? (a discussion)

Real path is a term I have only heard when talking to an insecure believer trying to use other's beliefs to bolster their own. Perhaps you could tell us the contents you heard the term. When it comes to religion and belief I would say we each follow our own path based on our life experiences, and there is no true "real path".

Comment

*waves a hand.
          Don't forget Satanic witches. We have our own book even!
          No. Seriously. I consider myself a Satanic witch. It's not talked much about. Because for those of us who practice, it's done more for results and not for show. It's a way in which we use the outside world and behavior to get what we desire.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by LaneyM View Post
            Real path is a term I have only heard when talking to an insecure believer trying to use other's beliefs to bolster their own. Perhaps you could tell us the contents you heard the term. When it comes to religion and belief I would say we each follow our own path based on our life experiences, and there is no true "real path".
            Yeah, hence the "" around the word. I was asking if there was a doctrine, or if it was a specific sect of Wicca or some other established religion.

P.S. You mean "context."

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              *waves a hand.
              Don't forget Satanic witches. We have our own book even!
              No. Seriously. I consider myself a Satanic witch. It's not talked much about. Because for those of us who practice, it's done more for results and not for show. It's a way in which we use the outside world and behavior to get what we desire.
              I am insanely curious about this, but since I do not want to derail this thread (that I unknowingly started, I am sorry for the recent influx of thread placement impropriety!) I shall ask you in a more appropriate place! Maybe you should start a thread

Comment

I am insanely curious about this, but since I do not want to derail this thread (that I unknowingly started, I am sorry for the recent influx of thread placement impropriety!) I shall ask you in a more appropriate place! Maybe you should start a thread

Hey, I think the "which witch is which" thread is a great place to talk about ANY sort of witch...
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Hey, I think the "which witch is which" thread is a great place to talk about ANY sort of witch...
                  YAY!

MEDUSA, TELL ME MOAR (about you personally, as I originally address, and then Satanic witches in general)!

I am mostly curious about how atheism fits into Satanism and what differentiates Satanic witchcraft from other forms of witchcraft (I admit to being completely ignorant so forgive me if any of this comes across as offensive -- I am merely curious and speaking freely).

From what I perceive, Satanism is more of a philosophical way of behaviors and ideals as opposed to actually equating him to a deity/following the Christian mythology. Therefore, it is easy for me to postulate the way that atheism plays neatly into this blend of ideas. I am curious as to the witchcraft part, simply because I do not understand in what ways you define yourself as a witch. Is it the ritual? The use of symbols and tools? The belief in magic as it sustains itself beyond the necessity for a deity?

Comment

I don't know if any still identify as such but Anton LeVay's daughter founded a Satanic Witches group in California years ago. The basic premise of it was supposed to have been based upon Anton's description of Satanic Witchcraft. It's been years since I've actually come across anything about them as a group or someone claimed to be a member or practitioner of it.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Just to make sure misinformation do NOT become a common ground, I am providing some information for educational purposes.
                      I think the daughter you are referring to is Zeena. Feel free to scroll down to find her name.

F.A.Q. Anton LaVey and His Family Who was Anton Szandor LaVey? (This is an excerpt from Blanche Barton's book, The Church of Satan. For an even more detailed and fascinating LaVey biography, read The Secret Life of A Satanist, also by Blanche Barton.) Anton Szandor LaVey was born in gangland-era Chicago on April 11, 1930; […]

Comment

I think Zeena was the one. The fact she renounced it later doesn't change the fact she was at one point the head of that group, ie Satanic Witches and modeled after the book Anton wrote. That happened to be a fairly common occurrence as things changed from the late 70's to the mid 90's. Factor in the intro to the book she wrote and her being the spokeswoman for it a number of years added to it I think.

But like I said it's been a number of years since I've actually encountered anyone who identified with that particular group. Though it is still often cited as a source when people started the you can't be a Satanist and be a Witch discussions.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The Satanic Witch. It's an actual book. And I've reccommended it many times to women who were in need of taking their power back.
                          TTHIS IS A SAFE PDF OF THE BOOK FOR FREE

Here is a bullet point of what I believe a Satanic Witch is:
                          ~One who uses her natural talents to sway the outcome of events. There is no 'magic' involved. It's probably closer in description to the following: Hedgewitch, kitchen witch, midwives, Latin Catholic women. (oh you have no idea what we can do with potatoes for a fever!) Anyways.

Examples: We know how to read the LaVeyan Clock. A system of matching a mate that is attracted to your opposite attributes. Knowing how a man likes his meat cooked gives you an advantage to how to treat him. Knowing if he hold in his urine or goes right away let's you find out how dominate or submisive he is. Knowing how to 'accidentally' show a bit of thigh when getting out of a car. Knowing how to find your true version of yourself and play it up. I would say Mrs Penry does a fine example of this. Her avatar reminds me of an Earthly Mother witch. While mine is a bit more..devlish. If you are a geek, you play up that part to your advantage etc etc. It's why I look the way I look. Talk the way I talk, etc. It teaches you how to have others treat you the way you desire. To change yourself by changing how others view and approach you. It's a great read!

Now atheism and Satanism. How do they differ. How do they interact. They are two pieces of the same pie. In my belief system of deities I am an atheist. It says only one thing about me. I have no belief in deities. At all. That is ALL atheism can truly say about a person.

Satanism is how I navigate through my life. It tells you how I believe. How I live. My morals. My goals. My sexual identity. My responsibilities. How I view punishment. How I view politics. How I view religion in general.

atheism is my non belief in deities. Satanism is my moral and ethical code.

Satanic witches and other witches. We have similar and different attributes. We both use our own forces and outside forces. Though some witches will use the outside force of deities, we will use the outside force of natural norms. Some witches make satchels to wear of herbs etc that mean something symbolically. We make satchels of menstrual blood to trick the male into pheromone seeking behavior. I am not egotistical enough to say one works over the other. Whatever a gals gotta do, I say!

Some LaVeyan witches have rituals, symbols, altars etc. I did at one time. But my hard atheism prohibits me from gaining anything from these. I have moved beyond them. At least in an overt way. I do have symbols though. My tattoos. I have my Medusa for a very symbolic statement of my witchyness *for lack of a better word at 11pm at night) I also do have a tattoo of Baphomet with the 666 around it. It is, however, hidden in the open. Only I and a few others can identify it as a Satanic symbol. Because Satanism isn't about speaking my mind about my religion. It's about living it. But here I speak about it, because people are curious.

Feel free to ask anything else about it. Like I said, this forum is the one place I talk about my Satanism. Mostly because I don't want the headache of having to explain I don't kill kittens or worship the Devil. But it doesn't help I am a metal head girl I guess.

Comment

I see 'witchcraft' much as I see shamanism... as a set of practices rather than a self contained religion. Saying you're a witch is like saying that you are a shamanist... it just means that you practice certain techniques and practices that fall under the term 'witchcraft'. The multiple flavours of witchcraft are the cultural context within which the person operates... hence the trillion different paths that can be combined with witchcraft.

Witchcraft itself does not automatically require a reverence for nature. Lots of people tend to assume that witchcraft is synonymous with neo-Wicca, which isn't true. Neo-Wicca is a religion which practices witchcraft, but witchcraft exists well outside of neo-Wicca, and not all witches are Wiccan. So someone who identifies as a witch does not necessarily have to revere nature, follow the Wheel of the Year, or even be theistic.

YAY!

MEDUSA, TELL ME MOAR (about you personally, as I originally address, and then Satanic witches in general)!

I am mostly curious about how atheism fits into Satanism and what differentiates Satanic witchcraft from other forms of witchcraft (I admit to being completely ignorant so forgive me if any of this comes across as offensive -- I am merely curious and speaking freely).

From what I perceive, Satanism is more of a philosophical way of behaviors and ideals as opposed to actually equating him to a deity/following the Christian mythology. Therefore, it is easy for me to postulate the way that atheism plays neatly into this blend of ideas. I am curious as to the witchcraft part, simply because I do not understand in what ways you define yourself as a witch. Is it the ritual? The use of symbols and tools? The belief in magic as it sustains itself beyond the necessity for a deity?
                            I just want to add to Medusa's post that LaVeyan Satanism is usually atheistic by nature (or authotheistic, if you subscribe to the self-as-deity concept, although no one seems to use that term much), but there are theistic forms of Satanism. I wont go into it because that's not what was asked, but just for reference... there are multiple branches of Satanism, which are quite disparate.

Comment

Traditional Satanism, theistic Satanism. That's some freaky deaky stuff going on there.

Comment

Working...
                              X