This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atheism vs Anti-theism

It's always seemed to me that denominations/divisions/sects/whatever-you-want-to-call-thems are most responsible for taking the spirituality of a few and turning it into the madness of many. By this definition...

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
    Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
    Anti-theism: an active opposition to theism of any kind, or an active opposition to specific kinds
    ...I would have to say anti-theism seems to have the most precise line on countering the evils done by and in the name of religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      1. What kind of facts are necessary, in order to prove the existence of a god?
      - - - Updated - - -
      I smiled when I read that because what a curly question!! Divinity/spirituality is articulated in so many different ways it would be hard to know what is being proven even with a fact in hand!

I love discussing spirituality with my friend who's a scientist. He identifies as atheist but not anti-theist. He remarked to me that divinity is a construct we (our human ancestors) used to explain the mysterious. His example was that when we didn't know what made the waves move like they do, we imbued them with a water-spirit. He reckoned that religion is a social construct to get a group of people to agree to behave a certain way. He asked me why I believed in God and all I could give him were statements that started with 'I feel' or 'because of *this unexplained mystery.* He made his point, but I think it's very important to have a language to explain those experiences that fall beyond the five senses.

I don't think that it's the belief in divinity that is harmful, but it's what the mind and the conscience does with such a belief. What guides the conscience depends very much on the ability to empathise, past experiences and social conditioning. There's a song by Sara Groves called 'Painting Pictures of Egypt' and in the lyric she sings 'but the places that used to fit me cannot hold the things I've learned. Those roads were closed off to me while my back was turned.' It's a song about cognitive inertia and I feel this is where we are at on a global scale at the moment. As a human race, we are only just getting to know each other and our world. We are meeting people with other ways of living that conflict with our own. Scientific advances challenge our interpretation of the supernatural. When the sifting ends, what will remain?

Anti-theism just seems silly to me. It seems to perpetuate the same things it wants to stop. When people fight verbally or physically in the name of their gods, what they are really fighting for is their way of life. They would still have a way of life without a divinity to centre it around. Anti-theism seems to pick a fight over lifestyle choice as well. It doesn't seem helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
        I smiled when I read that because what a curly question!! Divinity/spirituality is articulated in so many different ways it would be hard to know what is being proven even with a fact in hand!

I love discussing spirituality with my friend who's a scientist. He identifies as atheist but not anti-theist. He remarked to me that divinity is a construct we (our human ancestors) used to explain the mysterious. His example was that when we didn't know what made the waves move like they do, we imbued them with a water-spirit. He reckoned that religion is a social construct to get a group of people to agree to behave a certain way. He asked me why I believed in God and all I could give him were statements that started with 'I feel' or 'because of *this unexplained mystery.* He made his point, but I think it's very important to have a language to explain those experiences that fall beyond the five senses.

I don't think that it's the belief in divinity that is harmful, but it's what the mind and the conscience does with such a belief. What guides the conscience depends very much on the ability to empathise, past experiences and social conditioning. There's a song by Sara Groves called 'Painting Pictures of Egypt' and in the lyric she sings 'but the places that used to fit me cannot hold the things I've learned. Those roads were closed off to me while my back was turned.' It's a song about cognitive inertia and I feel this is where we are at on a global scale at the moment. As a human race, we are only just getting to know each other and our world. We are meeting people with other ways of living that conflict with our own. Scientific advances challenge our interpretation of the supernatural. When the sifting ends, what will remain?

Anti-theism just seems silly to me. It seems to perpetuate the same things it wants to stop. When people fight verbally or physically in the name of their gods, what they are really fighting for is their way of life. They would still have a way of life without a divinity to centre it around. Anti-theism seems to pick a fight over lifestyle choice as well. It doesn't seem helpful.
        Agreed. I don't even think, that the existence of a god needs any proof. Why? Because so many miracles happen in this world. An these miracles are the proof. Some might ask: "Why all the wars happen, then?", and the answer is that we - the humans want so. As you said, Azvanna, it's the way of life of one group of people, or another.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

No real horror stories, just kind of an amusing one. My brother used to be a hardcore Christian, then very abruptly because a hardcore atheist. He knows I'm a pagan and after asking me a little about what I believed, railed against me and started saying why he didn't believe particular things that I did. My response was pretty much "that's fine that you feel that way". Then he asked if I believed in creation, and when I said yes, he asked me how I could possibly not believe in evolution. At that point, my deflective responses stopped and I instead replied, "you can believe in creation and still believe in evolution, moron. Even the first speck of dust needed to come from somewhere". He didn't seem to know how to take that.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
            No real horror stories, just kind of an amusing one. My brother used to be a hardcore Christian, then very abruptly because a hardcore atheist.
            Hah, the dreaded born-again atheist.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
              Hah, the dreaded born-again atheist.
              To be fair to him, he did ask to borrow one of my books about paganism. He said it was because he was curious, not because he was interested spiritually. I think that a read through these forums might be interesting to him (secular humanism sounds right up his alley).

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                * Defined dorkily from Google search, double checked by my handy-dandy Webster

Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
                Anti-theism: an active opposition to theism of any kind, or an active opposition to specific kinds

So there we have the decided differences between the two philosophies, but it seems to me that what I sense from the atheists around here is that they seem much more apathetic or even agnostic about their true beliefs. Is there anything that differs in your daily walks? Are there any particular pantheons that bother you more than others? Any particular religions? I know that I personally am much more vocal in my daily life about my dislike for Christians (not exactly Christianity) than I am on here, or anywhere else, really.

Experiences? Stories? For the brave theists, got any horror stories? Does the very idea of atheism/agnosticism/anti-theism bother you and if so, why? Do you feel personally attacked when someone disagrees with you -- if so, why?
                I believe the anti-Theist crowd can best be summed up by the term : New Atheism . People that qualify would be folks like Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, etc...whove come out with books defaming all World Religions as 'evil' and who take a personal focus-vendetta on Theism and Christianity . Until these people hit the scene, atheism was more subdued, tolerant , permissive of other Beliefs, etc.... seems like over the last 5 decades its gone from a non hostile approach to a very hostile approach with the relentless spewing of defamation, personal attacks on Christians in particular, gross ridiculing , et al... Ive also noticed that there has been a shift in what used to be called traditional atheistic worldview and origins which was materialism and naturalism..., to accommodate even the possibility of a Creator or higher level Aliens (see youtubes Dawkins vs Stein interview) . Ever since Science proved that our universe had a definite beginning in time and it is not eternal, it has really shook up the atheist world and they've had to accommodate more of a Theistic Worldview / Origins im sure much to their schagrin .

Conversely, I see more of a proactive stand against Atheism and the New Atheist regime from CHristians who are finally refusing to be the sleeping Giant they've been and are speaking out against the fallacies of Atheism from a worldview and sociological standpoint . The next decade is going to be an interesting one for sure, so stock up on the popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking a Religion View Post
                  Ever since Science proved that our universe had a definite beginning in time and it is not eternal, it has really shook up the atheist world and they've had to accommodate more of a Theistic Worldview / Origins im sure much to their schagrin .
                  Actually, we've only proved that the universe as it exists now and to the extent that we understand it had a beginning. We actually have a few explanations for how that could of occurred as well, outside of divine magic.

Such as this. Really, our universe could very well just be one of many universes with their origins in a larger universe.

Here's Dawkins' views RE: religion is evil:

Behind the rhetoric, it's a valid point. It's also literally the same argument that Christinaity makes for man being evil in nature, that there is potential for evil in all of us. I wouldn't really go so far as to say that myself, but religion is definitely not a force for good.

It can be, the potential is there, but as a whole it isn't. Not by a long shot. There is nothing in this world that hasn't been corrupted by our baser nature. Not religion, not atheism, not science.

That is a problem with US, not with any of those things.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                    Actually, we've only proved that the universe as it exists now and to the extent that we understand it had a beginning. We actually have a few explanations for how that could of occurred as well, outside of divine magic.

Behind the rhetoric, it's a valid point. It's also literally the same argument that Christinaity makes for man being evil in nature, that there is potential for evil in all of us. I wouldn't really go so far as to say that myself, but religion is definitely not a force for good.

It can be, the potential is there, but as a whole it isn't. Not by a long shot. There is nothing in this world that hasn't been corrupted by our baser nature. Not religion, not atheism, not science.

That is a problem with US, not with any of those things.
                    Modern science has proven that the universe had a cause and when you look at what kind of cause it had to have been based on the effects we have, it is clear to the reasonable Mind that it had to be personal . The multiverse speculation is completely unprovable and imaginary because it doesn't deal with the reality we have. When we examine what we do have by way of effects from the Creation event (our reality today) , we can get a very accurate idea of what the First Cause had to be ; The First Cause must be self existent, timeless, nonspatial, immaterial since the First Cause created time, space, and matter and he is without limits and is infinite . The first cause of anything that becomes finite, must be infinite or outside of what is created much like a Painter is to his Painting. The First Cause would have to unimaginably powerful to create the entire Universe out of nothing and supremely intelligent to design the Universe with incredible precision . The Cause would have to be personal in order to choose to convert a state of nothingness into the time-space-material universe, for, an impersonal force has no ability to make choices. These characteristics of the First Cause are exactly the characteristics ascribe to God and they are NOT someones religion or subjective experience...rather they are drawn from the scientific evidence which IS our reality .

'Religion is definitely not a source for good....' : Including the sociological fallout of religious secular humanism based on its affirmations found in Manifesto 1 and 2.

Comment

Modern science has proven that the universe had a cause and when you look at what kind of cause it had to have been based on the effects we have, it is clear to the reasonable Mind that it had to be personal . The multiverse speculation is completely unprovable and imaginary because it doesn't deal with the reality we have.
                      That's an assumption. In your humble opinion, it is clear that it had to be personal. Don't confuse opinion with science.

Mostly art.

Comment

Wow, the universe is so precisely designed...

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                          That's an assumption. In your humble opinion, it is clear that it had to be personal. Don't confuse opinion with science.

Wont you please tell us then : How did highly personal ,intelligent entities , information-laden effects come from unwilled/undirected/non intelligent raw materials and chemicals like hydrogen, helium, planets, stars, etc ? Tell us how DNA with its vast information density with specified complexity enough to fill 1,000 volumes of encyclopedias from a one celled amoeba (per atheist Richard Dawkins) came from dead chemicals ? This isn't my opinion....rather it is scientifically impossible . Back in the early 1980's when the Pet Rock phenomenon was in full force, my Pet Rock didn't do squat for me by way of communicating --- it just took up dead space and my mom made me clean the thing weekly cause it was just a dust collector...and oversized paper weight.

Atheism is the least possible worldviews out of all ; it requires one be illogical for the sake of enjoying no ultimate moral culpability by way of lifestyle choices. Eliminate a personal moral creator and virtually everything is permissible.

Comment

Well... the answer, to me, seems to be pretty simple : evolution.
                            You remind me of the babe
                            What babe?
                            The babe with the power
                            What power?
                            The Power of voodoo
                            Who do?
                            You do!
                            Do what?
                            Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Wont you please tell us then : How did highly personal ,intelligent entities , information-laden effects come from unwilled/undirected/non intelligent raw materials and chemicals like hydrogen, helium, planets, stars, etc ? Tell us how DNA with its vast information density with specified complexity enough to fill 1,000 volumes of encyclopedias from a one celled amoeba (per atheist Richard Dawkins) came from dead chemicals ? This isn't my opinion....rather it is scientifically impossible ...*
                              Yup - I suppose it is... right up to the point where one begins to understand chemistry & chemical reactions, physics and the effects of physical processes, or evolution...

*emphasis added.

- - - Updated - - -

Atheism is the least possible worldviews out of all ; it requires one be illogical for the sake of enjoying no ultimate moral culpability by way of lifestyle choices. Eliminate a personal moral creator and virtually everything is permissible.
                              I love this kind of ignorant poop beyond all words.

Religious people must be weird - if they suddenly became atheists, they are convinced that they will begin raping their daughters, and prostituting their sons...

Uhm... people like this, apparently, do need God to tell them how to be human.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Oddly enough

Everything is permitted, but everything isn’t beneficial. Everything is permitted, but everything doesn’t build others up.

a creator power doesn't actually guarantee restriction any more than the lack of one. It might (depends on path) add consequences to ill choice but society does the same thing and generally faster.
                                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X