This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Religious Rock Genres

I'm sure a lot of us are familar with Christian Rock but that seems to be the only rock genre that's based on another religion, at least the only one that I know of. I don't know any Jewish Rock genre, Greek rock, Zoroastrian metal or any rock genre that talks about their religion. The only one I can think of is Viking metal that talks about Norse deities and viking life but that's the only religious rock genre I'm familiar with.

Has anyone heard of any others? Would you like to have a music genre based on your religion, i.e. Kemetic, Celtic, Buddhist ect.

Re: Different Religious Rock Genres

*blink* Huh?

There is music for pretty much every religion. "Rock" is just one kind music, and not every faith lends itself to that. I don't see why that's a bad thing.

That being said, I bet you could find a rock song for a lot of religions if you actually looked.

Comment

That's why in my title I said "Rock" genres. I know there's music for any other religion. I've recently found a Jewish rock band called Salem but Christian Rock seems to be the most common. I have looked and most tend to focus on Christianity but Norse religions are used with heavier bands like Amon Amarth.

Whenever someone mentions a religious rock genre they mention Christian rock. For a while, I thought it was the only religious rock genre until I looked, but even then, there's not that many different genres out there. There are muscisians that are jewish or zoroastrian, but there aren't many rock bands that play songs ABOUT the religion.

Comment

IMHO? Probably because many spiritual practices are either too rare for mass appeal or too important to dance to.

Comment

Working...
        X