Aphrodite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aphrodite

Since i started doing more research on the Olympians i've noticed i tend to get certain feelings when i read and think about Aphrodite. When i dwell on it i realize there are little things i've been doing over the years like always being interested in my friend's relationship statuses and trying to help them out or always getting invested into romance sub plots in movies or novels which. I always figured i was just a romantic kind of person but when it comes to my personal life i am definitively more passionate and lustful over true love and all that kind of stuff. I am started to think perhaps i feel some sort of connection with her. Its 4:30 AM right now and this is kind of embarrassing but i just woke up from a dream where i was having sex. I didn't recognize the face and i've had dreams like this before but as soon as i woke up i thought of Aphrodite and what i was thinking about earlier in the day and i figured i should come here and ask about it all.

I could use some advice on what i should read to learn more information about her and how i could maybe pay homage to try and figure out if i do infact have a connection with her or if its just all coincidence.
    Thank you!

Re: Aphrodite

Have you looked up Her page on Theoi.com?

You could light a little incense and ask Aphrodite to send you a sign or something if She wants to work with you.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Greek gods, so I'm afraid I can't be too much help. Good luck in your endeavors.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Roses (preferably with thorns) and poetry are a few things I've noticed She seems to enjoy.

There is a monologue in Plato's Symposium discussing the nature of love and Aphrodite through Her Olympian and Titan origins. It's not exactly practical in terms of worshiping Her, but it does definitely provide some interesting thoughts about Her and Her domain.

She plays a rather important role in the Iliad.

When I was building my altar to Aphrodite, I asked an acquaintance who was devoted to Her what I should have. They literally just told me to fill it with pretty things. So I currently have a jar of dried flowers, a jar of ocean water/sand, two framed butterflies, seashells, freshwater pearls, amethyst shards, rose quartz, the garter from my aunt's wedding (I caught it ) and an oil burner in the shape of the Graces.

I would just build Her an altar if that's possible and pray for Her to give you a sign. The Gods are no strangers to omens, and I'm sure She'd be more than happy to do something. You just need to be sure that you're listening intently. Rarely do the Gods communicate in grandiose spectacles. It's usually subtle things that we'd otherwise dismiss.

Another important thing that you might find worthwhile would be to research Her epithets. After you've managed to get a good sized list together, meditate on them. A comprehensive list of epithets is literally a Hellene's best friend because it'll offer a sort of shortcut to insight on a particular deity. For example, one of Aphrodite's epithets is Anthropophagos (Man Eater). So is that describing Her as the eater of men's hearts or the bloody goddess of the Iliad? What would an interpretation of this name mean about Her nature and how you should worship/approach Her? Etc.

Comment

And after you've established your research and your mode of worship think critically about it and see how it be extended outside your reverence-space to enhance your life. Is she a feminist icon? A guide to navigating through sensuality? A figure used to stop slut-shaming? And does she have any faults and how do you reconcile them.

Applicability is key. Religion leads by example.

Comment

There is no such thing as coincidence! However, people dream about sex all of the time. You have a connection with her if you believe that you do, you need to feel that out. usually a call from a god/dess is VERY loud and there is no question that it is a call. but it's still a choice whether to answer it or not. Read more about her and see if you can see how many aspects of your life you see her in ALREADY.
          Blessings!

Comment

I'm very drawn to goddesses of love of every sort myself! I have a more syncretic approach and I think of all this representations of Love Goddesses as the same Goddess in different cultures. Anyway, I can say that my beliefs on her have led me to become a much better person, my life is filled with love in wonderful ways, and it's all due to my beloved Goddess.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyBoy View Post
              Since i started doing more research on the Olympians i've noticed i tend to get certain feelings when i read and think about Aphrodite...
              EVERYBODY gets certain feelings when they think of Aphrodite...

That's the whole point of thinking about Aphrodite...

Giggle, giggle, giggle.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ok Fun boy,quit oggling the Goddess,keep your thoughts pure...and you may just qualify for the 70 virgins and PIE,we gonna get some PIE too
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

"Give me that old time religion
                  Give me that old time religion
                  Give me that old time religion
                  It's good enough for me.

We will pray with Aphrodite,
                  We will pray with Aphrodite,
                  She wears that see-through nightie,
                  And it's good enough for me"
                  Pete Seeger
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Theoi.com definitely helped me in gaining more knowledge about Aphrodite. I never really paid much attention to her recently until some circumstances in life happened. Definitely an eye opener.

Comment

Except from everything mention, I tend to fins that she enjoys beautiful thing such as jeweley, nice Stones, ses Shells, pearls and so on.

Comment

She also enjoys poems! Mostly about love or about her. At least thats what she's shown to me, but i think she'll accept anything that's been brought, received or crafted out of love especially from a significant other

Comment

Working...
                        X