Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to paganism, needing some direction

Re: New to paganism, needing some direction

Welcome to PF. My best advice is just to poke around on the forums and see what's happening. If you want to discuss a specific experience or talk about a particular thing you do and what it means or might mean? Just ask...we are all awesomely opinionated.

It does sound like you are drawn to sympathetic magic -- what would fall into the kitchen/cottage witch sort of bucket. I'm not really the best resource for book options at this point, I'm a bit out of the loop there, but I can recommend considering some historical texts and books on remedies, instead of just sticking to the occult section.

Comment

You might find that Hearth Witch / Kitchen Witch / Green Witch / Cottage Witch may all apply to what your looking at. The bad part is that most of them cross over into each other and for many its an individualized practice. As such things very from person to person with no true established notions of what is what. When reading about them I'd suggest keeping in the back of your head that at one time the Hearth was the heart of the home and all cooking was done over it. In later years the Kitchen sort of assumed much of the role once done over the hearth or at it, which many still see to this day when you observe how families get together and you see who collects where in the home. Green witch has various definitions, some I agree with some I find useless but most have some aspects of herbology, plant lore, fertility and fecundity of land and creatures. Ann Moura seems to be the most cited source for Green Witchcraft but its seems 50 / 50 in that people love her or hate her in my readings. Cottage witch I would suppose is aspects of each and seems to be a newer descriptor of home and hearth based practices.

Things like not using a wand but having a tang or using ones stewing spoon in its place are examples I've encountered. I find a lot of them use the little Kitchen Witch figurines in their kitchen which is supposed to watch over things and keep you from getting harmed, usually by burning or grease popping.

I identify as part Green witch but for me that is more Hedge Witch in practice not the typical Green Witch.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!
        I can recommend you to look in Wicca, as it is bonded with nature and like Rowanwood said - try to browse in the forum and look for data - it can be useful. I hope you will like it here.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

The journey into paganism from Christianity is kind of like jumping from an orchard into a forest. You're not looking for THE path, you're looking for A path, and there are many to choose from -- the best thing that I can say is to continue reading everything that you can and keep trying on different spiritual costumes to see if any of them feel good on you. Don't worry about doing things 'by the book,' or doing them 'right,' just focus on doing them with intent and with REAL purpose.

Read everything that interests you. Question everything that interests you. Become a hungry mind. Do not be afraid of failure because there is no one path that we all must follow. Trust your heart and your spirit and your intuition and I have complete faith that something will make itself apparent to you.
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Lol, you sound like a kitchen witch to me! (Which is pretty much the same thing as a cottage witch, IMO...we have a thread sort of on that topic elsewhere)

The best advice I can give is be open-minded, appreciate wisdom where you find it, be willing to try things out to grow in new directions, and have fun.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Hi, I agree that what you're doing sounds like kitchen/whatever witchery. I like the term Cottage Witch. It's cute And my house is little too, like a cottage! haha. I like how you turn to herbalism and natural remedies for everything. I would love to do these things, but there seems to be such a huge store of knowledge that is required, and I just don't know any of it! I think it would be awesome to have a thread listing all those kinds of remedies... One day...
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment