preferred books for the novice wiccan??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

preferred books for the novice wiccan??

I am a psychic whose been practicing on and off for 5 years. Through lots of experience i have decided to settle down into the religeon i believe to be right for me, wiccan. I am looking for a book which clearly explain beliefs and the laws. And then a little bit of spell work. I know a little about spells. I mostly am aiming to enhance my spiritual exexperience, knowedge of the earth and enhancing my psychic ability. I would kindly appreciate any book suggestions. I will buy one right after christmas. Thanks.

Re: preferred books for the novice wiccan??

There are a huge number of Wiccan books -- probably the majority of books in the "witchcraft" genre are Wicca based. But Wiccan...is like Christian. There are a dozen types of Wiccans and the books will all vary a lot. There's everything from high ceremonial to very basic.

Now, I'm NOT Wiccan, but back in the day, the intro book I used was Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. It's not perfect, but what ever is?

Comment

^ I'll second that suggestion, Cunningham was one of the better Wiccan authors out there.

Another one I liked was Christopher Penczak, I read his Inner Temple of Witchcraft and it had a fair bit of actual practical spiritual technique, backed up by a lot more theory than you usually get in "Wicca 101" books.

Comment

Wicca: A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner was written by Scott Cunningham...it was a good book. One of the first Wiccan books I read as a Noob when I first started out. Hence my path started Wiccan and lead elsewhere lol as do most. But that is another story.
        Cunningham has other good books that I have also read, check out amazon...they have TONS of his stuff. Also I would recommend going to the library and seeing what random books about the matter you can find. Sometimes the random ones you aren't looking for are the really good ones.

Comment

In addition to Scott Cunningham and Chris Penczak (both of whom I'll second), I also recommend the The Witches Bible, The Witches God, and The Witches Goddess, all by Stewart and Janet Farrar, also Wicca: The Old Religion In the New Millennium by Vivianne Crowley.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Hey guys thanks. Ill check them out! Im from utah.
            The libraties dnt have wiccan books in them.
            Or id be all over it.

Comment

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler. There are some free PDF's lurking about, just search for them.
              No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Ray Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft is an excellent, excellent place to start after reading some Cunningham. While his stuff is mostly geared for coven work, a lot of it is applicable to solitary work. Especially the most recent edition of his big blue book; it includes some things that weren't there before, that are really focused on helping solitary practitioners get as close to a traditional experiences as they can. And he does a good job of presenting the material in a textbook-like format, very informative and direct. Also, that book in particular has considerable sections on psychism and the more New Age-y stuff that is present in Wicca; while that doesn't appeal to me, it sounds like it might be right up your alley.

Comment

Soo many of these books I have not read... Why the hell not I wonder? I need to go shopping...
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

A good tip even in Utah is to go to the closest University or college. The libraries on campus should have some of the books mentioned as well as a lot of interesting and related titles.

You may not be able to check them out but if you plan a day you can browse through and read the parts you are interested in.

Comment

This might be of use to some of you. All of theme are free and in .pdf format and there's no need to worry about having to create an account or only being able to download X amount of anything ^_^
                      Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                      Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                      sigpic

Comment

Woah, lots of docs there.
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
                          Wicca: A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner was written by Scott Cunningham...it was a good book. One of the first Wiccan books I read as a Noob when I first started out. Hence my path started Wiccan and lead elsewhere lol as do most. But that is another story.
                          Cunningham has other good books that I have also read, check out amazon...they have TONS of his stuff. Also I would recommend going to the library and seeing what random books about the matter you can find. Sometimes the random ones you aren't looking for are the really good ones.
                          Scott Cunningham wrote some of the best books ever in my opinion. Definitely look for his books.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Try Doing a search on Gerald Gardner, i believe some of his writings are public access. However I've noticed quite a few references to Aliester Crowley, or at least to Hermeticism in Wiccan books so try that as well. Worse case scenario; you expand your knowledge base.

Comment

Working...
                            X