Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Announcement! Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

Exactly as the title suggested, this is your chance to suggest any changes you might like to see to reorganizing, recatagorizing, renaming, etc the sub-forums. This is not a for sure thing, it still has to be discussed among the admin staff. I'm just requesting that people toss any ideas they have out there.

And, on the subject of ideas that to toss out there, I know one has already been suggested. On the matter of the suggestion for a Dharmic/Oriental Religions board...I'm not opposed to this idea, but I'm not a fan of calling it by that name. The biggest reason for that is that here in the US, "Oriental" is often considered pejorative--not by everyone, but by enough people that I'd prefer not to (evocative of that whole colonialism thing). So challenge #1, come up with another name for it!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

You might try Asiatic to cover all parts of the far east.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think, considering how much we all discuss it, 'News & Current Events' needs to be broken off from 'Academics'.

I don't know about anyone else, but whenever I see a news article that seems interesting, I always end up looking for a 'News' thread, never see it under 'Academics', and suffer great confusion and half the time I give up looking before I post the darned article.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Could we call the Heathen section something else? It seems that in English speaking countries that title has been annexed by recons and not all who worship/work with/whatever the Old Norse gods are.
        Of course, the question is what to call it instead since there seem to be no common name. Old Norse paths possibly, but I'd like to hear other people's suggestions.
        Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
          I think, considering how much we all discuss it, 'News & Current Events' needs to be broken off from 'Academics'.
          I definitely agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
            Could we call the Heathen section something else? It seems that in English speaking countries that title has been annexed by recons and not all who worship/work with/whatever the Old Norse gods are.
            Of course, the question is what to call it instead since there seem to be no common name. Old Norse paths possibly, but I'd like to hear other people's suggestions.
            Teutonic Religion would be all-encompassing. As a non-Recon English-speaker (well, OK, Mid-South 'Merican Redness speaker), I'm all good with Heathen. And we don't all follow Norse gods.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Exactly as the title suggested, this is your chance to suggest any changes you might like to see to reorganizing, recatagorizing, renaming, etc the sub-forums. This is not a for sure thing, it still has to be discussed among the admin staff. I'm just requesting that people toss any ideas they have out there.

And, on the subject of ideas that to toss out there, I know one has already been suggested. On the matter of the suggestion for a Dharmic/Oriental Religions board...I'm not opposed to this idea, but I'm not a fan of calling it by that name. The biggest reason for that is that here in the US, "Oriental" is often considered pejorative--not by everyone, but by enough people that I'd prefer not to (evocative of that whole colonialism thing). So challenge #1, come up with another name for it!
            (Far?) Eastern... Religions? Mysticism?
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
            Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I feel that Eastern Traditions or Eastern Religions would work well.

Comment

The "Hobbies" and "Entertainment sections have always seemed weird to be not one big section with smaller sub forums in there. I'm very often unsure of if I should put a thing in one or the other.
                hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                  The "Hobbies" and "Entertainment sections have always seemed weird to be not one big section with smaller sub forums in there. I'm very often unsure of if I should put a thing in one or the other.
                  You mean like:
                  Hobbies and Entertainment
                  • Arts/Crafts
                  • PF Portfolios
                  • Reviews
                  • Plugs

Or did I totally miss the point you were making? If I'm heading in the correct direction, are there any other subcategories you can think of that might help make it more clear?
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                    You mean like:
                    • Arts/Crafts
                    • PF Portfolios
                    • Reviews
                    • Plugs

Or did I totally miss the point you were making? If I'm heading in the correct direction, are there any other subcategories you can think of that might help make it more clear?
                    Yes! That's exactly what I mean! I can't think of any others off the top of my head at the moment.

Comment

So, in combination with some of the suggestions here, and my own thinking...here's a tentative idea:

Religion and Spirituality (board)
                      Abrahamic Faiths
                      Atheism/Agnosticism
                      Eastern Religions (or whatever we decide to call it)
                      Paganism
                      • Greek and Roman
                      • Egyptian
                      • Heathen
                      • Celtic

Divination and Astrology
                      Magic and Ritual

Living (board)
                      Health, Healing, & Prayers
                      Hearth and Home
                      • PF cookbook
                      • herbalism

Friends and Family
                      • Parenting

• Arts/Crafts, etc
                      • PF Portfolios
                      • Reviews and Plugs

Holiday

Lounge (board)
                      General Discussion
                      LOL's and Games
                      Rants and Decline of Humanity
                      News and Current Events
                      Academics

(you might notice no debate board...but we have the handy dandy debate tag for threads, so its my suggestion to get rid of it...also, a couple of parent forums have disappeared in favor of making the subforums their own forum)

Any other ideas to incorporate?
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

...I don't like the idea of getting rid of the debate forum. I already wish I knew how to screen the debate threads out of my feed or block them lately.

Comment

Agreed. I also do not think it's a good idea to get rid of the place where Debates are welcomed. I believe this are is needed >_>

Comment

I agree with Malflick and Lilium as well

Comment

To note....

"Eastern Traditions" would fit the current naming scheme.

Comment

Working...
                              X