Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    This was brought up in the mod section earlier tonight. I expect enhanced protections to be extended to the into section. The precise form of them is liable to be hammered out over the course of the day (I'm going back to sleep momentarily so and I have class in the morning, so don't expect anything from me for at least 8 hours.)
    You know what they say...

Great minds think alike.

Comment

So...there have been a few changes over the past week, which you all may or may not have noticed (I know a few folks did)...

I'm sort of asking a favor here...

For those of you that have been doing this _______________ tradition thing awhile...would you please be kind enough, in the boards that you self-identify with (if said board lacks one already), be kind enough to start a sort of General Info/101 sort of thread, and a thread on resources (books, reputable websites, etc) for any newcomers?
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        So...there have been a few changes over the past week, which you all may or may not have noticed (I know a few folks did)...

I'm sort of asking a favor here...

For those of you that have been doing this _______________ tradition thing awhile...would you please be kind enough, in the boards that you self-identify with (if said board lacks one already), be kind enough to start a sort of General Info/101 sort of thread, and a thread on resources (books, reputable websites, etc) for any newcomers?
        This would definitely be a helpful and good idea, I think. There are often people who are not new to general paganism who have just recently narrowed down to a certain tradition and want more specific information.

On the "Heathen" name topic, IF a name change is seriously being considered, I would like to second "Teutonic Religion" or "Teutonic Tradition", that's a very broad, neutral term that could really encompass every variation. "Norse Traditions" excludes those with Anglo-Saxon and mainland Europe foci (Germany, et al), "Northern Path" would be likely be frowned upon by more strict recons because of its similarity to "Northern Tradition" (which is apparently its own thing) and that some also don't like to use the word "path", I believe it has something to do with the frequency of use in the neo-pagan community, but I never quite got a grasp of why the term is disliked.

I personally don't have a problem with any of these, (in fact, I didn't know until coming here that Heathen was shifting to become a less all encompassing term) but keeping all the various heathen related traditions in mind, I think "Teutonic _________" is the most inclusive option. Of course, I also think "Heathen" is perfectly acceptable, but then again I use the term heathen to describe myself most frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Wulfram View Post
          On the "Heathen" name topic, IF a name change is seriously being considered,

(snip)

I personally don't have a problem with any of these, (in fact, I didn't know until coming here that Heathen was shifting to become a less all encompassing term) but keeping all the various heathen related traditions in mind, I think "Teutonic _________" is the most inclusive option. Of course, I also think "Heathen" is perfectly acceptable, but then again I use the term heathen to describe myself most frequently.
          I don't think its anything that will change anytime soon...I'll be the first to admit that some of the names of boards are going to be problematic for *someone*, *somewhere*. Heathen, Left-Hand Path, Shamanism, Wiccan...there's always a coterie of people out there that are going to have a criticism. But consensus decides what words mean, and until the vast majority of Heathens or Wiccans (the "you aren't a real Wiccan" debate always amuses me, particularly when its not even Wiccans arguing it) or whatever shift to another, inclusive term, we're going to stick with what people know (unless its something that is actually insulting to the average person of said self-identifying person...even if its not technically perfect.

...I think that made sense, but I',m posting while on benadryl and wine....so please excuse me if it didn't, I'll try to fix it tomorrow (I should really be going to bed)
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            I don't think its anything that will change anytime soon...I'll be the first to admit that some of the names of boards are going to be problematic for *someone*, *somewhere*. Heathen, Left-Hand Path, Shamanism, Wiccan...there's always a coterie of people out there that are going to have a criticism. But consensus decides what words mean, and until the vast majority of Heathens or Wiccans (the "you aren't a real Wiccan" debate always amuses me, particularly when its not even Wiccans arguing it) or whatever shift to another, inclusive term, we're going to stick with what people know (unless its something that is actually insulting to the average person of said self-identifying person...even if its not technically perfect.
            I agree and that's how I feel as well. I just saw a few posts discussing it and wasn't sure if it was actually being considered, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Ha! Benadryl and booze - I think I have never seen my significant other loopier than with that combination. (Except maybe that one time he was on trazedone and muscle relaxers for an injured back. Hoo boy.)

Comment

Loving the conversations and topics that are coming up due to new sub forums. Its great
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Seriously. Can we get a BOS section added to practices and techniques? I promise to do my best to keep it active... working on it right now actually.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
                X