Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking suggestions for sub-forum reorganization

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    So...if we were to have a newbie board...what would we call it? N00bz r us just doesn't sit right
    Lol, no it just doesn't have the right sound does it? Well I hate to suggest the obvious but how about simply calling it "Beginners Board", with text beneath saying: "New to paganism? Start here".

Changing Heathen was just a stray thought based on a few too many quarrels with recons. I'd much prefer Heathen than change to Teutonic. At least amongst European Heathens that gives reminiscence of Nazis since many Neo-Nazis use Teutonic about their tradition.

About the debate thing I have thought. (Yes, again ) how about making it a subforum like the adult and teen sections, where you have to apply specifically and then agree to a set of rules, before being allowed access? Or maybe you could do it so all could read it, but only "members" of the subforum could post. Well, random thoughts for how to set it up, don't have the slightest idea whether they are workable or practical.
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

That idea has merit Moon,I think MO should look into that idea...Debate by invite and agreeing to ALL the rules.

I think people would consider the choice to join in with more thought.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Yah I got nothing haha
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          That idea has merit Moon,I think MO should look into that idea...Debate by invite and agreeing to ALL the rules.

I think people would consider the choice to join in with more thought.
          You want an admin to look into it. I don't set policy on a grand scale and I have no control over board organization beyond moving threads to where they belong. Modding the debate section is above my paygrade. Only reason I commented on subforum specific banning is that I know a little bit about what the software package we're using is capable from experience here and in other forums.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Personal opinion here, but I kinda think having a warning or a user agreement that people have to check before being able to post in a debate section/topic is kind of pointless. I very much feel like it would be treated the same as a ToS agreement when you install software. "Click Yes to proceed". How many people actually take the time to read those? Maybe a very select few but the majority of people won't read them. They just want to post their bit. Maybe I'm just skeptical and I would be willing to give it a shot in the event that I'm wrong... But I don't think it would have the effect that you think it would.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              Personal opinion here, but I kinda think having a warning or a user agreement that people have to check before being able to post in a debate section/topic is kind of pointless. I very much feel like it would be treated the same as a ToS agreement when you install software. "Click Yes to proceed". How many people actually take the time to read those? Maybe a very select few but the majority of people won't read them. They just want to post their bit. Maybe I'm just skeptical and I would be willing to give it a shot in the event that I'm wrong... But I don't think it would have the effect that you think it would.
              It wouldn't have to be all long and drawn out about it-and possibly something like having to electronically sign your user name.

For example-with creating a hard core character on diablo 3, there's a scroll that pops up saying that by clicking the box you understand that under no circumstances will Blizzard resurrect your character and no amount of whining and begging and pleading will change their mind.

We could leave it short and sweet, make them sign their name, and if they screw up go "well, sorry, this is what you get for not listening" and depending on how bad the infractions are, it could be anywhere from a temp ban, or perma ban, or locking them from the thread-or whatever other options you guys have
              Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
              Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
              sigpic

Comment

Agree. 10/char
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                  [...]or whatever other options you guys have
                  A room full of caffeinated toddlers with puppies and kittens.... and parrots.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

A room full of caffeinated toddlers with puppies and kittens.... and parrots.
                    You are utterly evil .

I agree that a long text wouldn't be read, but if it could be reduced to three/four sentences set up in bulletpoint form, I think most people would read. The reason ToS don't get read is that they go on forever, so it should definitely be kept short, such as:

No Flaming: That is no personal attacks on another debater. Stick to the point.
                    No Trolling. (Does this one need explanation?)
                    Keep it civil: You can make your point without being rude.

I know these are fairly selfevident and goes for the rest of the forum too, it's just that peopel tend to lose their heads in debates sometimes and can do with reminding.
                    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Debates. That was the only real section that I'd ever spend serious time in, for a LONG, long time.

I too think that having to click on an agreement, just to enter the board, seems pointless. Click and enter, without reading a word, find a nice place to dump your excrement and voila. Banned from the section.

How about a Debates usergroup, that members would have to opt-in, in order to read or take part, at least? Volunteers for managing debate rules and tactics, within each debate, working closely with staff (Moderators) when things get out of hand? Or, for a small fee, people can purchase access, for a limited time, and have a cranky, loudmouthed S.O.B., like me, breathing down their necks in every thread in the section... that could work -- make a no-holds barred brawling-style debate area, then we'd have reason, method and lists for limiting Debate members' access to Beginners' areas. Not to mention an easier time of managing our ban list.

I'm still interested in boards that come available with new post-counts, additional usergroups, special interest groups and such. Not for the elitist angle but for the out-of-the-way places for non-public chit-chats and shit. Some of them could be user-based groups, where they kind of add or remove themselves from the group or have regular users as group leaders... that kind of thing.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

How about people who don't like Debates just don't read the Debate threads?

I'm sorry, but really? It's actually not that difficult to skip over a post or to read posts on the Activity Feed based on the thread title rather than the content. And the debate rules are the forum rules... and those are pretty detailed and explicit on their own. Why do we need another set of rules specially posted up just for debates? And why do we need to check a little Terms and Conditions box when what we would be agreeing to are the FORUM RULES, which we all agreed to when we joined the forum?

I think that keeping debates in a Debate forum is a good idea, and I REALLY like the little 'Debate' warning at the start of a title, which can be added by a mod if things start to get a bit heated.

But I also think that some common sense is needed here... if a thread starts to get upwards of four or five pages, chances are it's getting to be an in depth discussion. And in depth discussions generally hit the 'debate' mark when people start disagreeing. And when people start disagreeing then someone is bound to get offended and start getting snarky, or someone is bound to start obnoxiously pushing their opinion as fact and then the rest of us get sarcastic. Then the mods shut it down. It happens EVERYWHERE and to be honest, PF is pretty good at controlling it. Ticking a Terms and Conditions box at the start of the post is NOT going to change that.

The only thing that might 'control' it better is to take it off the public boards by making it a 'by application' board. But even then what are we going to do? Move all the innocent discussions that turn heated because someone get snarky or obnoxious? The conversation will not change. People will still disagree with each other. People will not stop getting egotistical and offended in debates. Debates will continue on exactly as they currently are. The mods will still have to shut threads down when we can't play nice. People will still get warnings or negative rep or whatever it is that happens here for bad behaviour. The only difference is that it will happen away from the public eye.

Comment

I like the debate section. It's the place I go to play. Don't take it away
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

On the other points bought up so far...

I fully support a 'Far Eastern Traditions' or somethingorother board. Perhaps it could be named more to the underlying doctrines rather than as a religious category. Like 'Eastern Philosophies', or something like that. Because really... this is why these paths are fundamentally different to Western religions or pagan paths... it's the underlying philosophies and worldviews that set them apart.

I also fully support a Pets board. Everyone loves a pets boards, and everyone loves to talk about their pets, and it just makes sense to have one.

As a non-Heathen Northern religion person, it would be nice to see the 'Heathen' subforum be renamed to something less recon-centered. But having said that, I think the community here is not recon-dominated and thus this doesn't actually really matter much. I've been on pagan forums before where non-recons were run out of their own board/subforum because the recons said 'This area is for Heathens (aka recons), not for you'. I also don't really like 'Teutonic' for the same reason as others have mentioned. It feels like swapping one restrictive name for another. So IF we were going to bother changing it, perhaps changing it to 'Northern Paths' or something like that would be more appropriate. The ironic reality is that most of the 'Heathens' here at PF actually aren't Heathen at all. lol

There are other subforums that could be added to the Religions category, but I don't think that there is enough demand for them. Most places have a Shamanism and/or Animism board, but I don't think there are enough of us here to warrant one at PF. Same with Satanism/Luciferianism/Demonolatry... I'm not sure that what... five of us, need our own section lol. Another pagan forum that I used to be very active on had a board for taboo subjects... not really an 'adults-only' board (it does have one of those) but a board where people go to talk about controversial or taboo subjects, like blood magick, sacrifice, execration magick (curses, hexes etc) and the like.

Comment

I actually have been getting the impression that there are a lot of Satanist-type-y people here, or at lease people talking about it, so perhaps a RHP board (is it RHP or LHP? I never remember XD) isn't a bad idea.
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                                I actually have been getting the impression that there are a lot of Satanist-type-y people here, or at lease people talking about it, so perhaps a RHP board (is it RHP or LHP? I never remember XD) isn't a bad idea.
                                It's LHP lol. Although some people are moving away from that nowdays. The Demonolatry community in particular doesn't like the whole RHP/LHP thing... except technically they are LHP or at least middle-hand-path.

Comment

Working...
                                X