X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions, problems, issues, etc...Post 'em here

Originally posted by Jera View Post
    Me again. I'm trying to attach a signature image. I've successfully uploaded one from my PC and saved it, but it's not appearing under my posts. Any idea why?

Not sure...I can try to look into this tonite or tomorrow (right now its the beginning of an action packed work day :/ )...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Just a random thought. Is the "show signature" box in the lower left corner of the reply box checked off?
      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Jera View Post
        Me again. I'm trying to attach a signature image. I've successfully uploaded one from my PC and saved it, but it's not appearing under my posts. Any idea why?
        You still need to edit your signature field to tell it to display the sigpic. Add this code:
        Code:
        [sigpic][/sigpic]
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Thanks I'll try that!
          sigpic

Comment

To be honest, since I registered here, I was wondering. What's the difference between mods and admins?
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Admins have more power and own or run the site. Mods are like their deputies, they have enough power to police, but don't have overall authority over the site itself.
              Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Admin have absolute control and authority. Mods work for them and have significant control and authority.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Oh ok, thanks very much!
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                    Oh ok, thanks very much!
                    And I confuse the heck out of everyone, since I'm both.

Usually, I just mod. I might do some behind-the-scenes tinkering which require admin priveleges, I just rarely choose to use admin athourity (mostly because I usually don't want the target painted on myself, lol...).
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

To be honest, since I registered here, I was wondering. What's the difference between mods and admins?
                      Usually the amount of patience they show for repeat offenders. That and pay scale. Not that any of them get paid, mind you, but the value of the zero Admin dollars is worth vastly more than the zero Mod dollars...seriously, it's enough to cause Staff to seek promotion.

Example: After running the site for awhile, the former owner got promoted to "Member", which he felt was a good move

Comment

I think Quetzal and MO answered your question pretty clearly, Gleb. But I wanted to respond with a bit more depth, as well. This is a question that has and can cause quite a bit of confusion, around here.

The Administrators (being Juniper, thalassa and myself) not only own the website but we've hammered out what we feel makes the healthiest environment for our little family to explore ideas, learn/teach/help, and otherwise get to know others, many with (at least) one similar trait, known as curiosity. (For me, that curiosity manifests itself in wanting to share space with people of other Pagan Traditions and other religions, as well. I won't ever 'turn someone down', as a member, because of religious affiliations -- not that I actually even *have* the ability to turn anyone down, anyway! LOL) So, we work on keeping the site alive, interesting and relatively safe. That includes a great deal of membership involvement, in our decisions about the direction of PF. Juni handles the domain, hosting and other financial concerns, Thal (though, she shows up as a Global Mod - green username) is truly our main voice of reason and then I basically balance them two out by not having any inhibitions, conscience or morals, to speak of -- just strong ideals.

Global Moderators do our hands-on work, watching threads, helping members out, keeping the discussions (mostly) civil and within the confines that we Admins have proposed, with our Mission Statement, and the parameters outlined by both (n)etiquette and the forum's own rules.

How that works, in a practical sense, is that when you see GREEN posts you see a Mod stating or enforcing forum requirements. They can seal and open threads, they can monitor spam and dispose of it in unbelievably short order, they can move threads around to the various sections and archives. Mods *deal* directly with the members on a daily basis, truly getting to know them, actually.

Admins, on the other hand, don't take a detailed interest in watching member behavior. We're sort of free to spend time in the threads of our choosing. That is, until mention is made, somewhere, about a thread that has gotten out of hand. For instance, if a Mod is busy with life's happenings (we all have a life outside of PF, after all), one of the other mods, or even an Admin will step in. When you see RED posts, someone is in trouble. Depending on which red you see, you'll know how deep the trouble is. If I post in red, things are or already have turned ugly - whispers of a ban are in the air. Juni, on the other hand, will post in red when she's had enough, as do I, but the word "ban" isn't as readily heard. (Thalassa, of course, typically will post in green, not red.)

FYI, though, none of us really like posting in our associated colors. It is just so much nicer to not have to see so much official involvement in heaps of discussions, trying to keep people decent, toward one another. The community polices itself. Our Mods simply act as good friends that can help out members of our community, in a variety of ways. The Admins, we try to keep the community, in it's entirety, existing. We help or Staff, when they need or ask for it, and we help our Members when the need arises.

Most of the time, however, we, the staff, are just simple members of the very same community. We all just happen to have a little work to do, outside of our community involvement.

***I know, I revealed a lot more than the question even hinted at. I'm indulging in a bit of transparency. Plus, a willingness to assuage any confusion on this matter.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Wow, it definitely explains a lot. Thanks, Chain. So now I understand why I see more Green than Red.

Ok, another question. (I hope I'm not getting on anyone's nerves ) I PM-ed Juni, but I guess she's busy a bit.
                          There are different ways of supporting PF. The most common is the "donate" button. But it's also written in the FAQ that one can support the forum by art and many other things.
                          What are some of the ways of supporting PF except clicking "donate"?

Comment

<I must be dead set on seeing the colours today, what the hell is wrong with me?>

I don't know, I think all of the reds and greens make it all Christmassy and festive. It's nice. It makes me think of the Holidays, spent trying to avoid the family that I live with.

*contended sigh*

<who am I kidding, this IS me...>

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, it definitely explains a lot. Thanks, Chain. So now I understand why I see more Green than Red.

Ok, another question. (I hope I'm not getting on anyone's nerves ) I PM-ed Juni, but I guess she's busy a bit.
                            There are different ways of supporting PF. The most common is the "donate" button. But it's also written in the FAQ that one can support the forum by art and many other things.
                            What are some of the ways of supporting PF except clicking "donate"?
                            OOoh...I'd like to field this one

Sometimes new themes are created for the site and they might want new artwork or whatever to go along with it. Some members have supported by providing some really nice banners for various members. Others have helped other members financially - you know, those "I'm struggling, please pray" threads aren't always supported just through hope We've saved a few holidays for a few families in the past - it's kind of a point of pride.

Other support? Being kind and gentle to new members, engaging people in conversation when it seems they could use a hand, trying to keep things civil and on track...coming up with new and interesting topics/polls...man oh man, it's a community anything that helps the community supports the site

Comment

OMG's Rok, Adopt a Family is definitely pride-worthy. I possess a great amount of humility over the lengths to which PF members helped out my family when it came time to bury my daughter, by helping to pay for her headstone.

This community is worth far more than gold, to me. I feel that I owe it my sanity, my time, my... anything I can humanly do. I love this place and the people in it! Probably at an unhealthy level of love, I might add.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

<facepalm> not only was I not thinking of you when I was talking about it, it didn't even occur to me to include in my own mental list. Probably because you seem so much like family already.

Geez...now everyone's gonna get all mushy.

Comment

Working...
                                X