Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

magick :your opininons .and earth magick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magick :your opininons .and earth magick?

My element (chosen by my birthday and personality) is earth. I want to utilise my gift . Is there any earth magick ? How can I use my element? Also , what do you think magick is?, what do you think is possible by using magick?
    Any replies greatly appreciated

Re: magick :your opininons .and earth magick?

I guess it would depend upon what you meant by earth magic. Do you mean magic using stones, dirt, etc? Or something else?

Kemetics have a magic called heka, which is better translated as "authoritative speech". I tend to see it as non-elemental. So, I think magic--heka--is the practice of using the correct words with the correct intonation with the correct ritual actions to accomplish a task. Mortals' heka can only do so much, but the Netjeru's heka created the entire universe, so it's a pretty powerful magic.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Here's an excellent article on elemental magic you might be interested in:

Comment

Earth magics I think fall into two categories. One is the elemental aspect itself while the other is the physical aspect itself of magnetic lines and such where natural energy wells and sinks form. It's like neolithic sites like Stonehenge are powerful in earth magics but its more so due to land energies and cross sections if you consider the notion of Ley lines and similar energy vortexes and such than magical influences. Consider the notion of walking the Holy Grail at Glastonbury in England, its also about earth energy and magics of a sort. In the orient you encounter the notion of dragon lines that are similar to Ley lines as well as the notion of Feng Shui which is also earth energies in the right alignment and movements basically.

Some people profess that there are fire lines, water lines, etc similar to the magnetic lines that have been mapped out in England and other parts of the world. I occasionally will see blue ribbons or lines that float in the air above water courses long before I am close enough to actually see the water or dig down to find its presence. It's infrequent enough for me that I always question it but has occurred enough that I also accept it as fact.

Just something else to ponder as you think about magics and earth energies
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

It's probably worth noting that strictly speaking, people don't really 'have' elements which they are innately supposed to have more of. The ideal state of being, in elemental terms, is complete balance, termed 'elemental equilibrium,' and it is only from this state of equilibrium that higher spiritual states can be accessed and strong energies can be accumulated and utilized safely. The same holds true, I believe, in the Chinese model, although they use a slightly different elemental division. It is true that by default people tend to feel a stronger affinity for certain elements based on psychological makeup and personal preference (fire and air for myself), and that across the three levels of being (mental, energetic and material) people by default tend to express the energies and qualities of some elements more than others, but this is an imbalanced state of affairs which must be rectified for true magical or spiritual development to take place, not an ideal state of being.

At least, if you hold with that kind of thing

Comment

Wow thank you for the replies and a fantastic article

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
              It's probably worth noting that strictly speaking, people don't really 'have' elements which they are innately supposed to have more of. The ideal state of being, in elemental terms, is complete balance, termed 'elemental equilibrium,' and it is only from this state of equilibrium that higher spiritual states can be accessed and strong energies can be accumulated and utilized safely. The same holds true, I believe, in the Chinese model, although they use a slightly different elemental division. It is true that by default people tend to feel a stronger affinity for certain elements based on psychological makeup and personal preference (fire and air for myself), and that across the three levels of being (mental, energetic and material) people by default tend to express the energies and qualities of some elements more than others, but this is an imbalanced state of affairs which must be rectified for true magical or spiritual development to take place, not an ideal state of being.

At least, if you hold with that kind of thing
              I'd disagree to the extent that all organism's are in a state of balance to begin with at all times. The difference is that "Balance" is a subjective term, especially in occultish / paganish circles, when describing things to a ratio of what is present and what is missing. 1 part to 99 is as balanced as 50 to 50, 25 to 75, etc in how much of a thing is present and how much is supposed to be present at a given time for the system to function properly. In my opinion achieving enlightenment is not in trying to establish an equal ratio of parts and percentage but in understanding the dynamic that is at work which constantly shifts the notion of balance across a sliding scale. To arrive at a static ratio is not balance but closer to in-balance for the system then is static and unchanging and less likely to be adaptable to minor or major shifts. Potentially resulting in an unrecoverable scale that collapses when equality is the goal at the expense of the system surviveability, adaptability to arrive at semi-equality.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

to semi-answer your question unity I'll give it a try based on flawed elementary understanding

the elements (as in the five elements of air, earth water, fire and spirit) are a very strong part of magic and occult philosophies regardless of tradition, they grew from the ancient religious systems all over the earth but none are really 'elements' in the scientific term. If you take the time to look all things (herbs, magical tools, directions, crystals etc) have a corresponding element of one of the five elements represented by the pentagram which can vary by tradition and source.

There is really no way of answering your question 'what is earth (elemental) magick' because that question lies with you personally, but to me personally it means connection with the earth, the soil, the trees, the living plants.

there are spirits corresponding with the element earth such as Dryads and gnomes and some of the fae. Maybe part of earth magic can be connecting with these spirits. there are several texts on 'green magic' and 'garden magic' there is nothing more magical of the element earth than planting a magical garden and digging in the earth itself. Try connecting with trees or meditation in a large forest where no one is around.

try also grounding and centering and connecting your energy to the earth itself.

there are also gods corresponding to the earth such as Gaia, the greenman, Herne, Persephone, Demeter, and many others. You may if you wish to connect with earth connect to or build a relationship with them

magick is inside of you my friend there is really no right or wrong way to go about it. Part of this path is having the creativity and intuition to just 'wing it' and make it up as you go along.

I hope that helps a little

Comment

I'd disagree to the extent that all organism's are in a state of balance to begin with at all times.
                  In a sense, and depending on perspective. I suppose 'state of ideal balance' would be be more specific.

The difference is that "Balance" is a subjective term, especially in occultish / paganish circles, when describing things to a ratio of what is present and what is missing. 1 part to 99 is as balanced as 50 to 50, 25 to 75, etc in how much of a thing is present and how much is supposed to be present at a given time for the system to function properly.
                  Obviously it isn't as simple as '1/4 of everything is each element.' Actual quantites and ratios will be constantly shifting depending on circumstance, internal dynamics and outside influences, but establishing (and maintaining, it isn't a once off) an overall elemental equilibrium on each level of being creates a kind of 'core state' on an energetic level (and I suppose mentally and physically, in a certain manner) which the body can snap back into and which will help to hold the balance against outside influences, in the same way that a properly balanced bridge is going to be much sturdier than one which was poorly build with imprecise measurements. Obviously not an exact analogy, but I think it conveys the point.

In my opinion achieving enlightenment is not in trying to establish an equal ratio of parts and percentage but in understanding the dynamic that is at work which constantly shifts the notion of balance across a sliding scale. To arrive at a static ratio is not balance but closer to in-balance for the system then is static and unchanging and less likely to be adaptable to minor or major shifts. Potentially resulting in an unrecoverable scale that collapses when equality is the goal at the expense of the system surviveability, adaptability to arrive at semi-equality.
                  Elemental equilibrium isn't enlightenment, merely a state of being which is ideal, from a western/hermetic perspective, for working towards it (as well as for magical working and life in general). Obviously this only applies to a hermetic perspective, different traditions map these things out differently, although you'll find parallel concepts in most of them if you look hard enough, I'd imagine. But the classical elements came to modern western magic by way of hermetic philosophy, and so I figured the hermetic understanding of the elements is relevant.

Comment

Kemetics have a magic called heka, which is better translated as "authoritative speech". I tend to see it as non-elemental. So, I think magic--heka--is the practice of using the correct words with the correct intonation with the correct ritual actions to accomplish a task. Mortals' heka can only do so much, but the Netjeru's heka created the entire universe, so it's a pretty powerful magic.
                    you should look into Qabalah, if you haven't already done so. The original Qabalah contained practices along those lines (the use of sound, names and vibration to shape reality), and is rumored to be Egyptian in origin.
                    Quabbalah is the science of the letters, the science of the word and the language, not
                    though, of the intellectual, but -- mark you -- the universal language. The term
                    "Quabbalah" derives from Hebrew. Some religious systems have a different term for

this science. Thus, for instance, in India and Tibet, the science of the words is called
                    "Tantra". And again in other religious systems they talk of "formulas", and so on.
                    In my present work I keep to the term of "quabbalah". To speak quabbalistically is to
                    form words from letters; words analogous to this or that idea according to the
                    universal laws. The use of the quabbalistic language has to be trained practically.
                    Quabbalah therefore is the universal language by which everything was made, it is the
                    incarnation of one or several divine ideas. By means of quabbalah, i.e., the universal
                    language, God has created everything. The Evangelist St. John, in the Bible, is also
                    referring to quabbalah when saying, "In the beginning was the Word: and the Word
                    was with God". Thereby St. John clearly says that God made use of the Word in order
                    to create, by means of It, out of Himself.
                    Only he who is really able to materialize the divinity within himself in such a way that
                    he will speak, out of himself, as Deity in accordance with universal laws, may be
                    regarded a true quabbalist. The practicing quabbalist therefore is a theurgist, a God
                    incarnate, being able to apply the universal laws in the same way as the macrocosmic
                    God.
                    Just like the magician who, after his initiation and personal development towards
                    perfection, has realized the connection with his Deity within him can now act
                    accordingly, the quabbalist can do so, too, with the only difference that the quabbalist
                    is making use of the Word Divine when expressing his divine spirit externally. Every
                    true magician having command of the universal laws can become a quabbalist by
                    appropriating to himself the knowledge of the practical quabbalah. The structures of
                    the quabbalah cited in numerous books do certainly suit the theorist who wants to get
                    an idea of the principles, but they are thoroughly insufficient for the practice which
                    promises the correct application of the powers of the word.
                    This clearly shows that a perfect quabbalist must be a man connected with God, a man
                    who has realized God within himself and who, being a God incarnate, makes use of
                    the universal language materializing everything he says the very moment he says it. In
                    whatever sphere he wants his language to materialize, there it will be materialized. In
                    India, for instance, a man who can at once materialize every word he says is called a
                    "Wag". In Kundalini yoga this power and ability is identified with the Visuddha
                    center. A perfect quabbalist knows all the rules of the micro- and macrocosmic Word,
                    by which the law of the Creation by the Word is meant, and he also knows what true
                    harmony is. A genuine quabbalist will never violate the laws of harmony since he is
                    representing -- with his microcosmic language -- the Deity. If he acted contrary to the
                    laws of harmony, he would not be a genuine quabbalist but a chaote. From the
                    hermetic point of view, a quabbalist, or theurgist, is, in his body, a representative of
                    the macrocosmic Deity on our globe. Whatever he speaks in the original language, as
                    God's representative, is done, for he has the same power as the Creator, as God has.
                    To achieve this maturity and height of quabbalistic initiation, the theurgist must first
                    learn the letters like a child. He must have a complete command of them to be able to
                    form words and sentences with them and to speak, eventually, in the cosmic language.
                    The practice involved in this is dealt with in the practical part of this book.

Anyone can occupy himself with the true quabbalah, theoretically as well as
                    practically, no matter what religious system he may adhere to. The quabbalistic
                    science thus is no privilege for people who profess the Hebrew religious system. The
                    Hebrews do maintain that the quabbalah is of Hebrew origin, but in Hebrew
                    mysticism the knowledge of the quabbalah is of Old Egyptian origin. The history of
                    the Hebrew quabbalah, its origin, development, etc., is to be found in the literature on
                    the subject, for much has already been written about this field.

Franz Bardon - Key to the True Qabalah

Comment

Working...
                    X