Elder Branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elder Branch

Gosh, it has been so long since I posted here! I've been swamped with school work, and my business is beginning to take off! It's really exciting.

Anyhow, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I decided it would best fit here. I am making an elder branch healing wand in a gift basket as ordered by a really important family member of mine. It is for her 'mother-in-law' (She doesn't believe in marriage, but she's been with this guy for about 10 years. They made a house together and everything) who was recently diagnosed with cancer. My problem is that I can't tell one tree from another. Most likely, elder trees do not grow where I live, so I will have to order it from somewhere. I don't want to pay more than $20 (including shipping) for one branch to make a wand, so Etsy is out of the question... Ebay is only turning up Harry Potter merchandise. How do I obtain this Elder branch?

Re: Elder Branch

Identifying trees in the winter is hard for most people anyhow. Aside from a handful of trees with highly distinctive bark, or discerning tree families based on bark and stems and buds, etc...it can be quite difficult. I can identify a number of local trees in winter, but elderberry isn't that common here.

A stick from an elderberry tree (Sambucus sp.--likely S. nigra) is what you are looking for...but I don't know of anywhere off the top of my head that specifically sells them (actually, one of the local Pagan shops here sells sticks from different tree types for wand making, they *might* have elderberry...not sure what shipping would be, but the sticks themselves are usually cheap, you could give them a call...there's a large military presence here, so they often ship stuff for customers even though they don't have an online shop).

The other option is to substitue. What is your specific purpose for the wand?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

The only tree I can identify is White Birch, which is very plentiful where I live (Canada, Saskatchewan... The Saskatoon area) as well as trees that can be used as Yule/Christmas trees (The ones that grow cones and whatnot)....

The purpose of the wand is specifically for intense healing, with a preferably feminine vibration.

Comment

Annndd I'm going to bump this up. Still looking for some way to get an elderberry branch xD

Comment

Found this by googling 'buy elder wood':

I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
          Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I agree with thalassa, it's probably from the elderberry tree, which was prized in Europe for its healing powers. People still drink elderberry juice to help get rid of colds and stuff.

I'd gladly send you one (they grow like weeds here) but I don't know how I would get a branch in the mail and I'm not sure about the legalities of sending plant matter to Canada (from what I understand of Canadian customs, you're not supposed to bring or send any plant matter into the country). BUT, some species of elderberry do grow in the US and -maybe- central Canada. I'm not sure if you'd have them in Saskatchewan, but here are some of the North American species:

I'd look into seeing if you can get a branch from one of those. If you somehow know of legal way I could send you one, let me know

As for characteristics, elderberry plants are more like large bushes than trees. Except for their main branches and trunks, they have fairly slim branches. You may actually want to carefully (they're fairly brittle) weave some together to make a wand.

Edit: apparently some European and Asian species are also imported to Canada as ornamental shrubs. Here is a page for a garden center in Saskatoon: http://plants.dutchgrowers.ca/110400...-Berried_Elder

Maybe you can buy a shrub? Or ask a local garden center if they have any cuttings that they've pruned away?
            Last edited by DanieMarie; 06 Jan 2014, 08:15.

Comment

Are you sure it's Elderberry you need and not "elder" as in Alder? Or "elder" as in old?

Comment

Elderberry would make sense because of what it symbolizes (if she's not sure). Also, in the UK (and in German) the plant is called Elder (Hollunder) and the berries and the flowers are called Elderberries and Elderflowers, so it makes sense. I take back the comment I made about weaving them...that's just my personal experience. When I was googling where to get them in Canada, I found a number of flutes made from them (supposedly, anyway).

Comment

and elderberry makes a cracking wine i have to say

and elderflowers are used to make this - worth a go if you can get it

Comment

Since your wanting it for healing may I suggest something else to use until your finished crafting your wand. Gemstone tinctures, find the corresponding gems to the affects your needing, in a small bottle add 1/3 of the gem and with 2/3 100 proof vodka and let sit for at least a week. Remember to shake the tincture daily, the longer you let the gems soak the stronger the positive properties of the stone will steep into the vodka. Mix 3-4 drops of the solution into a glass of water and drink daily. Personally I've had better results with a bottle of mixed gems for healing.

Comment

shaken not stirred eh

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                        Gosh, it has been so long since I posted here! I've been swamped with school work, and my business is beginning to take off! It's really exciting.

Anyhow, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I decided it would best fit here. I am making an elder branch healing wand in a gift basket as ordered by a really important family member of mine. It is for her 'mother-in-law' (She doesn't believe in marriage, but she's been with this guy for about 10 years. They made a house together and everything) who was recently diagnosed with cancer. My problem is that I can't tell one tree from another. Most likely, elder trees do not grow where I live, so I will have to order it from somewhere. I don't want to pay more than $20 (including shipping) for one branch to make a wand, so Etsy is out of the question... Ebay is only turning up Harry Potter merchandise. How do I obtain this Elder branch?

Comment

Working...
                        X