This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual / Magical Names?

Do any of you use spiritual or magical names? If so, how did you go about choosing them? Do you feel as if they were given to you? What was your process of adopting this name?

Obviously, most people do not share their sacred names and that's fine, I'm mostly interested in the process you went through. I have felt a calling to do this and was wondering how anyone else went about doing it. Are your names pantheon specific? Culturally specific? Language specific? Educate me.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Re: Spiritual / Magical Names?

I use a theophoric spiritual name to express devotion to my goddess. True to Kemetic tradition, that name also implies a wish for protection, love, etc.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

My spiritual name is related to my personal god, Anubis. It just seemed right for me.
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
        I use a theophoric spiritual name to express devotion to my goddess. True to Kemetic tradition, that name also implies a wish for protection, love, etc.
        Does that mean that you use your name in order to invoke, or to revere?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
        My spiritual name is related to my personal god, Anubis. It just seemed right for me.
        Is your also to show reverence?

Does anyone have a name that does not reflect a god?

Comment

My spiritual/magical name is Sean Ridley Ravensdale. It sounds pretty awesome, and it gets me in a correct state of mind to do rituals. I think magical names are to be seen as a tool, nothing more. But that's me, and it really depends on beliefs or traditions.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

So as a Kemetic, how do I realize my magical name?
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
              The idea behind a theophoric name is that it uses a deity's name, plus something positive. For example, AnkhBast translates to "Bast Lives" and has the implication that as Bast lives, so should the person with that name. MeryNetjer translates to "beloved of the god" and so expresses a hope that the god will love the person with this name, if that makes sense. So I guess you can say a theophoric name (at least in Kemeticism) both invokes and reveres. I could tunnel down even deeper into the concept by talking about the concept of speech and words in Kemeticism, but I'm afraid I may begin to babble. XD

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
              So as a Kemetic, how do I realize my magical name?
              A Netjer may give you one, or just make one up for yourself. That's what the ancient Egyptians did. Why can't we? If you go for a full Kemetic name, you should have a name that you share with pretty much everyone, and one that you share with very few people. Names have power in Kemeticism, so give out your "true" name with care.
              Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                My spiritual/magical name is Sean Ridley Ravensdale. It sounds pretty awesome, and it gets me in a correct state of mind to do rituals. I think magical names are to be seen as a tool, nothing more. But that's me, and it really depends on beliefs or traditions.
                I notice that your name does not have anything directly to do with your theistic view of Satan -- was there a rhyme or reason that led you to this name? Is it a magical offshoot of your own name?

- - - Updated - - -

The idea behind a theophoric name is that it uses a deity's name, plus something positive. For example, AnkhBast translates to "Bast Lives" and has the implication that as Bast lives, so should the person with that name. MeryNetjer translates to "beloved of the god" and so expresses a hope that the god will love the person with this name, if that makes sense. So I guess you can say a theophoric name (at least in Kemeticism) both invokes and reveres. I could tunnel down even deeper into the concept by talking about the concept of speech and words in Kemeticism, but I'm afraid I may begin to babble. XD
                So it is safe to say that you chose yours, as you make mention of in the history of your pantheon? Thanks for answering!

Comment

When I was a teenage Wiccan I thought about a 'craft name', and suddenly I started seeing the word 'Heka' in everything I was reading. I looked into the word, discovered it more or less was the Kemetic word for 'magic' and found the heiroglyph (see avatar). It just seemed right to me. I don't use it that much, but for me it's my link to the magical, so I use it on magically related places, like here. I also intend to get the heiroglyph tattooed on me in the future.
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Nope. I figure what could be more magical than the name I was assigned at birth?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                      Nope. I figure what could be more magical than the name I was assigned at birth?
                      Many of us have specifically biblical names that do not resonate with the magical frequency at which we operate. I understand the sentiment but that is similar to railing against people who feel out of place in their own bodies. The name is just a name, a label, given to me by others who did not know my spirit. That's why.

Comment

Many of us have specifically biblical names that do not resonate with the magical frequency at which we operate. I understand the sentiment but that is similar to railing against people who feel out of place in their own bodies. The name is just a name, a label, given to me by others who did not know my spirit. That's why.
                        This is why I use the name Asher just about everywhere. Corvus is probably my oldest rendition of this, trying to pick a name that matches me more than my name. It came from a loathing of my given name (John) since I'm not fond of the meaning and I am only named this because it's my dad's name. When in search of a name that more accurately portrayed my spirit I chose Corvus, the name for crows and the genus name of corvids (crows, ravens and some other birds), since I consider the crow my animal. Corvus is probably the closest thing to a spiritual name I have, though I wouldn't think of it that way. Asher is the name I use for writing and drawing and whenever I want to make an identity. It may have biblical origins but the meaning is one I better relate to. It means Blessed or Happy, which is something I've always striven for. I have little respect for the name given to me by my parents but I continue allowing myself be called it because it would be too inconvenient to try to make people call me anything else. So from this standpoint I understand that choosing your own name is both empowering and can help establish a character to be or work for. I wouldn't consider any of my names to be magical names but it's the same principal isn't it? empowerment?
                        Circe

Comment

I'm not attacking anyone, just stating my own reason for not having one.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Is your also to show reverence?

Does anyone have a name that does not reflect a god?
                            Yes. I feel that Anubis has done a lot for me in my life. So part of it is for reverence and the other part is because it does feel right to me.
                            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I'd disagree to the extent that a birth name is the name ones ancestors and gods / goddesses give at the point of the spark being instilled. Of course that point varying depending upon ones spiritual and ethical beliefs. You can change your name as many times as you desire but when before your ancestors you are the name given by them. When standing before your gods / goddesses your the name they gave you at birth if you were claimed by them, if not then it really doesn't matter for then your simply a guest at one of their tables in my opinion.

I do admit I find it ironic when people claim they dislike their name when I recall from some of my psychology classes seldom is it the name but the association they themselves instill upon it that is offensive. Many times because of a relationship issue they have with their own parents and nothing to do with their actual name. The same can be said of supposed biblical names when one considers those same names existed long before they became biblical associated. Oh my, my name is Elijah and it just has to be a biblical name for no other would use it except that group. Sounds sort of foolish to me, which also disregards the notion that the bible was one of the few books that many would have so it only logical that names would come from it.

Personally I do not take a craft, magical or spiritual name because I am who I am and will always be such before my ancestors and gods / goddesses. My Spirit was named when the spark was alighted and that is the name that all know me by. I do not need a craft name given by others who decide I am part of their group or initiated into it to be named. Nor do I need to take a name so I can make believe I am part of some group or fit some special snowflake syndrome that is pushed in the latest 101 books. If I do have a secret or spiritual name it is one placed upon me in journey or trance work not something I simply made up.

But I also admit my perspective was formed in the late 60's and 70's and has held pretty true since so the idea's of names and such found now do not appeal to me.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X