Contacting a Deity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contacting a Deity

Hi there, I'm new to this site and would like to have the experience of conversing with a god or goddess. I don't really care who it is or what pantheon they are from, it could be satan, set, odin, huitzilopoctli, hel, hades, some lesser enitity, or whatever.

So who would likely be the easiest to get into contact with and how could i go about initiating the connection/conversation?

Ty for your time. Blessed be.

Re: Contacting a Deity

I'm not sure it really works that way, but I'm going to leave this to the hard polytheists to be specific on.

However, can I ask why you want this? Are you hoping for a lightning bolt to change your mind?

Comment

I just want the experience. Mostly all of my work has been done in my own mind on the dream plane. My background is a bit of a long story. Anyways, i suppose I've mostly been skeptical but had some experiences lately which lead me to believe it's possible these entities are real, so i would like to meet them, some external being which is not another human to converse with. Partly to banish the remaining shreds of skepticism but mostly because i am curious about them and have some questions.

Edit to avoid double post:
      Also this is off topic but for some reason i can't find where to go to edit my sig.
      Last edited by Sh4d0wT3ch; 02 Jan 2014, 13:51.

Comment

Sig editing is under the account settings function, near where you tweak your profile and all that good stuff.

It's been my understanding that while many people are influenced or otherwise "touched" by certain deities, not many actually sit down and have a chat with them on their own terms. Deities come and go as they will and not generally by being summoned by someone who isn't particularly specific about whom they try to open a relationship with. I would actually advise to do a little bit of reading on one that piques your interest and maybe begin to build that relationship from the bottom up. But that's just me, maybe someone else here will have more insight.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Though my first goal is to contact any external non-human entity, i am most interested in and would like to meet with any of the dream gods/goddesses.

My ultimate goal would be to join their ranks. This may seem farfetched and perhaps not even possible but i have made a lot of progress on my own and would like to meet with advanced dream related amd external beings. All of this would be explained by my background, though again it is quite long and a bit complicated. The short version is that i have spent most of my 25 years of life since the age of 4 obsessed with dreaming and expanding on what my mind can do within dreams. If i get too deep into it, most people would not likely believe me.

Edit:
          Looked all over the acc settings and can't find it.. perhaps i am blind or trippin or maybe it's because I'm new?
          Last edited by Sh4d0wT3ch; 02 Jan 2014, 14:14.

Comment

When I contact Anubis (my personal god) I usually meditate.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I think, depending on yourself and the diety in the equation, contact is carrying upon how you approach and if the said diety desires to return said interaction. If someone doesn't want to pick up the phone, they don't. I'm rather new myself, but I have gathered that each "grouping" (sorry I'm using the wrong terms) answer to different forms of approach and without choosing a basic area to focus on you may or may not get results.Some of these being, or however you see their existence, require offerings of physical items while others only ask for love and devotion. I think your approach might truly affect your outcome in all manners.

Comment

Originally posted by Sh4d0wT3ch View Post
                Hi there, I'm new to this site and would like to have the experience of conversing with a god or goddess. I don't really care who it is or what pantheon they are from, it could be satan, set, odin, huitzilopoctli, hel, hades, some lesser enitity, or whatever.

So who would likely be the easiest to get into contact with and how could i go about initiating the connection/conversation?

I'm coming from the perspective of a hard polytheist.

If you want to converse with a deity (and note that it's very rare to actually "hear" a deity), then you should have a reason to communicate other than, "I would like the experience of communicating with deity." There are lots of reasons: you want a patron to watch over you and your work, you'd like a close devotional relationship, you want to honor the gods, etc.

My suggestion is to find one or two deities in whom you're interested, set up a small shrine, and start spending some time there meditating and presenting offerings. Offerings don't need to be fancy. Water and bread is fine for most deities. It's a good idea to research your deity(ies) and give offerings He or She might like if that's possible. When you first set up the shrine, state why you're doing so, what you're hoping to get out of the deal, and what you're willing to do in return. Note that the more you ask for the more you better be willing to do in return.

As for which deities are easiest to get in touch with, try gatekeeper-type deities--ones known for opening paths, removing obstacles, etc. These deities are often known for being friendly toward random people approaching them, though there's no guarantee, since even friendly gods can kick mortal butt. Inpu (Gr: Anubis) is often cited as being very friendly to newcomers. When I worked with Sri Ganesha, I found Him to be a very patient god even though I could tell He would brook no shit, lol.

Do you have have any specific jobs, hobbies, interests, etc that might overlap with a deity's? Sometimes having common ground can help. For example, if a lot of what you do involves the ocean, it might be easier to get in touch with Poseidon, Isis, or other deities known to be associated with the ocean. If you're a traveler, Hermes might lend and ear once in a while.

At the end of the day, gods have Their own personalities and existence (at least from the perspective of a hard polytheist), so even if it seems like you and a deity should be able to get along terrifically, it might not work. You might also get silence until you've devoted yourself for awhile. Gods are generally not on/off switches, nor are They vending machines, and you might not get exactly what you ask for, so patience and respect rule the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies. Though my first goal is to contact any external non-human entity, i am most interested in and would like to meet with any of the dream gods/goddesses.
                I would be more specific than "any external non-human entity". There are some nasty entities out there who might decide to take advantage of your non-specificity. (And gods are not always nice.)

"Any external non-human entity who has no malicious intent" is better. "A god who rules over X, a goddess who rules over Y, or a spirit involved with Z" is even better.

My ultimate goal would be to join their ranks. This may seem farfetched and perhaps not even possible but i have made a lot of progress on my own and would like to meet with advanced dream related amd external beings. All of this would be explained by my background, though again it is quite long and a bit complicated. The short version is that i have spent most of my 25 years of life since the age of 4 obsessed with dreaming and expanding on what my mind can do within dreams. If i get too deep into it, most people would not likely believe me.
                I once heard a saying: "Anything's possible on the astral."

I've heard that some forms of spiritual alchemy guide the soul toward godhood, but you'll have to look into that yourself because I don't know specifics.

Look into Hinduism's karmadevas. These are supposed to be beings who did so much good on earth they were essentially blessed with beings gods.

Edit:
                Looked all over the acc settings and can't find it.. perhaps i am blind or trippin or maybe it's because I'm new?
                Click settings. Look on the left hand side for a menu titled "My Settings". Click "Edit Signature".
                Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Would be extremely interested in meeting morpheus or any of the Oneiroi, or something similar. Surely some deities would be more open to communication than others? And also, I'm looking more fore full blown conversations than fuzzy feelings, obscure signs ect.

Comment

Would be extremely interested in meeting morpheus or any of the Oneiroi, or something similar. Surely some deities would be more open to communication than others? And also, I'm looking more fore full blown conversations than fuzzy feelings, obscure signs ect.
                    Set up a shrine or other place to do work like meditation. I understand that some magical workings can be used to help contact deity; however, as I don't work that kind of magic I can't attest whether it's helpful or not.

Full blown conversations are rare and only happen when the deity is interested in having one. You also have to remember that mortals are generally not wired to communicate with deity like that. Spiritworkers and mystics who can have these conversations often talk about how their deity(ies) "rewired" them. And rewiring is not always fun. . . or healthy for the person being rewired. In fact, there's another phrase for being rewired: being cracked/broken open.

Try to establish some reciprocity with the deities or spirits you want to communicate with. Why should a deity go through the work of picking through your mortal wetware to fix a weak or non-existent signal if He or She isn't getting something out of the deal?

Comment

As another hard polytheist:

Most of my initial contacts with deities has been them coming to me. An exception is Yahweh, who I contacted at the start of my journey into polytheism.

I was never into worship/offerings/altars/shrines, so I can't verify that trying to contact someone with those methods would work. But, I show my appreciation and respect for them by honoring them, the land, and my ancestors. That's been enough in my experience, but there are thousands of gods with thousands of personalities and desires, so my method is probably different than yours will be.

I will note that I wasn't able to tell the signs or talk with deities until my soul "woke up." That can be summarized into "an aha moment."

Conversation-wise, Thor let me go on a little music rant once. He just showed up to check that I was doing well (I was at work at the time.) It was very short though. He had to leave to do something. Shortly after that, break was called. Out of curiosity, I checked the weather app on my phone and it was raining in Stockholm.

Another instance of conversation was on the Solstice. I invited any of my gods to come with on a short walk. Perun came. He listened to me remember past winters when I was a kid, and observations of the neighborhood Christmas lights. It was a short walk, maybe ten minutes total. At the end we did actually have a brief exchange.

But as Satu said about hearing deities: I cannot physically hear them. My soul hears and translates for me.

On the signature thing: I don't think the option to edit it becomes available until 15 posts or so.

Comment

Pretty much what Satu said.

Deities are pretty busy folk, and have better things to do than sit around talking to humans. So first you need a good reason to bother them... and you actually do have that, from the sounds of it. Wanting to further your skills and deepen your understanding of the Dreamworld is a good reason.

Then you have to do something to get yourself noticed... the equivalent of respectfully knocking on the door and asking for them to teach you. This can be done in lots of different ways. For you specifically, the easiest would probably be through the Dreamworlds, seeing as that's a medium that you say you already have experience in. Use your intent to reach out to a deity like Morpheus in your dreams. Offer a specific dream to Him. Put a representation of Him under your pillow and ask for contact. There are lots of ways to reach out. But as Satu mentioned... be specific. Please don't just open yourself up to any non-human entity... that's a good way to get an astral nasty latching onto you. Be specific, use appropriate shielding and/or warding and keep your head about it.

Then you have to make payment... or give them something in return for their time. This is where offerings and worship come into it. Many deities are content with the energy from worship and reverence, or from offerings. This is where shrines and altars come into play. But you can also send energy directly if you're skilled in that, or offer devotional things like art, writing or craft. Or volunteer or give donations on their behalf, or any one of a trillion different things that can be used as a conduit for energy to go from you to them.

But be aware that even after all this, you may not get contact. You'll probably at least get the Divine Answering Machine, but very few deities actually have the sorts of conversations you're wanting with random humans. That sort of thing is generally set aside for dedicated, long term followers, clergy or devotees. Deities don't have anything to prove to us. We're mere specks that happen to be a good source of energy and help them to interface with Thisworld. You might simply be ignored.

Comment

I don't really have any fear of negative entities, in fact i welcome the challenge. So far nothing has been able to mess with me in my own domain since i was a young child.

Have tried using dreams as a medium in the past, but it's very difficult to interact with things outside my own head while dreaming. I've had some success with shared dreaming but it seems random and i haven't yet been able to get it to work when i want it to.

Perhaps another human who is already in contact with these beings could act as a medium? Perhaps help to set up a meeting, or at last send a few msgs back and forth for me?

I do have much to offer on the dream plane in return for mere contact and perhaps a small amount of information exchange.

Comment

Dieties, in my experience, are not like spirits. Anyone claiming to be able to put you into contact with them...is probably a fraud.

Comment

Perhaps another human who is already in contact with these beings could act as a medium? Perhaps help to set up a meeting, or at last send a few msgs back and forth for me?
                              There are a couple points to consider here.

1. Yes, there are some spiritworkers who may (key term: MAY) be able to act as a medium between you and a deity at first; however, fraudsters abound and you're really better off working on your own to establish connection. You need to learn to do it yourself. If you want to tap a spiritworker to help you get in contact with a deity, your best bet is to ask for divination. Through divination, you may or may not discover if a deity is even interested in working with you. If He or She is, that's great. If not, well, thems the breaks.

2. If a deity doesn't want anything to do with you, using a spiritworker to reach out to Him or Her isn't going to change that. In fact, it may bring on an unholy shitstorm on the spiritworker depending on various factors. An ethical spiritworker isn't going to push his or her luck not just because of the possibility of punishment, but also out of respect for their deities.

3. If you have lots to offer, your best bet is to set up a shrine or an altar. A shrine is a place where you simply honor one or more deities with offerings, prayer, etc. You might meditate before it or something like that, but not much more. An altar is a place where you also do magical work and may or may not honor deities there as well. Pick the one that's best for you and what you do.

After you set one up, light a candle and some incense and just introduce yourself. Be serious about it. For example, you might say, "good morning/afternoon/evening, ______ [<<< name goes here, along with an epithet or two]. My name is _____. I've established a shrine/altar to you for X reasons. In exchange, I would be willing to do Y for you." You might ask for a dream or some other kind of sign that the offer has been accepted. The next step from there would be to understand exactly how much Y is required of you.

Be clear on what you want and what you're willing to exchange, but also be open to negotiating a little bit. Also, be patient. A deity might expect you to do Y for Him or Her for a few months before you can have X. Or He or She might have to rewire you a bit for what you want, and that can take time.

Also, don't be surprised if you reach out to one deity, and another steps in. For example, once upon a time I was sure I was going to be Odin-devoted. I learned as much about Him as I could, set up a shrine to Him, etc. I was going to be a heathen. Then Bast came into my life and BOOM! Almost overnight I started on a Kemetic path. This is the best thing that's happened to me in the past three or four years. Bast has taught me so much, and has been there when I didn't deserve so much as a passing glance from Her.

Keep an open mind. Sometimes what you want isn't as awesome as what you need.

Comment

Working...
                              X