This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ave Satanas (the Ask a Satanist thread)

Hmm..so this is the third thread I had going on Satanism. I am a LaVeyan Satanist going on 23 years now. As a Modern Satanist, I am an Atheist and not a theistic Satanist. Though I can still try to answer those questions for you.

*links to come later
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Ave Satanas (the Ask a Satanist thread)

i have also studied Lavey's work, the bible, the ritual and the satanic witch and found it very appealing but i feel that most of my belief was apart of spirituality in a sense and i couldn't drop what i have experienced in Wicca ritual though i still adopt a lot of laVey's philosophy today.
    -anyway-

were you atheist before you discovered modern satanism?
    or were you involved with paganism or other related religions before you found your true belief.
    if that makes sense

from Wolff
    - thanks PF for fixing the site -

Began my true spiritual journey by my the teachers on the other sides, the adoption of our beliefs in this plane is simply the starting point. . .

Comment

Good question. I was 'raised' Catholic by my mother and family (my father went along with this, though he was more of a spiritual person and not a particular faith)I was also given the opportunity, both opportunity wise and purpose wise, to be around people of other faiths. I attended Jehovah Witness Bible studies classes. My best friend in elementary school had Pagans as her parents. My other best friend later was Lutheran (I visited her church a few times) And the neighbors next to me were Hindu. When my father passed away my mother still had us attend church but it was dwindling.

So by 12 I had began my journey to find a religion for me I guess. I did attempt to follow my brother with his Baptist faith. He's a Baptist minister and he thought I needed some help. We would discuss the bible..but his answers....sounded so full of bs. I gave that up. I was in essence actively searching not for God, but proof of God. No luck.

I did start with Wicca. And I found it (being honest here )to be a very unbalanced green version of Christianity. I was a girl of darkness and found no such place for me in that religion. I tried a loose version of Paganism. I picked Egyptian gods and goddesses to fill my altar. But I found I was totally fooling myself and I just wanted something to replace Catholic rituals. By 15 I had finally decided to give Satanism some consideration. I used to go to Tower Records (for those newbie humans, that's the most AWESOME record store ever made!) It was THE hang out place for rebel teens and every scene in between. I would browse their New Age section and would pass the Satanic Bible all the time. And I will admit, I was afraid to pick it up. Afraid of the unknown. But after a while, I did end up buying it. And right from the get go..I found myself in the pages. I found that I believed intrinsically and naturally the ideas being discussed here.

Also at this time, my grandmother had a cleaning lady named Mrs Teresita. She also owned a "Botanica". It's an herbal shop many Hispanics go to for home remedies etc. She also was a practicing Santerian. She took me under her wing and I learned many things of the dark arts. I learned about herbs, and stones, candles and colors, days of the moon, times of the year, tarot, tinctured, cures, poisons. The whole thing. Even into some of the darker areas. I was able to find a Grotto and joined for a few years. Eventually I drifted from that and became a solitary Satanist.

All the time..I have been an Atheist.
      There is no God is a false statement because I have no way of really proving it.
      There is no God for me is an absolute truthful and factual statement. Because I am the proof of that statement.

Comment

From what I know of Anton LaVey's teachings, I have respect for the Church of Satan and can relate to some of its philosophies. One thing I wonder, though, is how rituals involving the invocation of demons fits into an atheistic group. Unless I have read erroneous information, the rituals conducted by LaVeyan Satanists involve calling Satan himself as the "demon of the south quarter," I believe it was. Is it not absolute rule that atheists reject the idea of gods and spirits or have I missed something?
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

I'm not quite sure I understand how you can beleive in Satan, but be an Aethiest. And what is modern vs. theistic Satanism?
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

To Clive:
            is how rituals involving the invocation of demons fits into an atheistic group.
            LaVey was pretty clear what rituals actually do for a person. Ritual is a form of giving a person 'perceived' control over what is often many times an issue where our control seems to be out of our own hands. He called ritual an " Intellectual decompression chamber"

The "intellectual decompression chamber" of the Satanic temple might be considered a
            training school for temporary ignorance, as are ALL religious services! The difference is that
            the Satanist KNOWS he is practicing a form of contrived ignorance in order to expand his will,
            whereas another religionist doesn't - or if he does know, he practices that form of self-deceit
            which forbids such recognition
            Unless I have read erroneous information, the rituals conducted by LaVeyan Satanists involve calling Satan himself as the "demon of the south quarter," I believe it was.
            We don't actually believe the demons are...demons. They are simply a manifestation of a certain concept. If I were to say to you " Behave like a banshee" Though I have no belief is such thing, I could emulate the characteristics of said Banshee. Your mind makes a strong connection to a word that has standard meaning. Stop acting like a Mad Hatter! Behave like an angel. He's so strong he's like Superman! None of these are real beings. But we all get a very gut visual on what they mean.

Is it not absolute rule that atheists reject the idea of gods and spirits or have I missed something?
            Yes. But we are human creatures. And when doing a ritual, we need to rid ourselves of shallow thoughts and reach deeper into ourselves. A place where feelings and emotions and instinct lives.

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=108.msg2132#msg2132 date=1286985384]
            I'm not quite sure I understand how you can beleive in Satan, but be an Aethiest. And what is modern vs. theistic Satanism?
            [/quote]
            Most Laveyan Satanists are indeed Atheists. We do not worship Satan in any real true sense. He represents an archetype that tailored to each individual. Luciferian and Setians (I think that's how they are called) Believe in Lucifer as an actual being.

Traditional Satanists are theistic. They view Satan and demons etc as real beings.

Modern Satanists are Atheistic. They view Satan and demons and symbols to use to invoke or evoke human traits.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

that also cleared alot for me also medusa, the whole demon thing had also confused me haha thankyou

from Wolff
                - thanks PF for fixing the site -

Began my true spiritual journey by my the teachers on the other sides, the adoption of our beliefs in this plane is simply the starting point. . .

Comment

Got it now. Thanks!
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

What attracted you to Satanism?

I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
                    I became Abdishtar this spring.
                    Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

[quote author=spartacandream link=topic=108.msg3529#msg3529 date=1287258894]
                      What attracted you to Satanism?
                      [/quote]

Good question. I liked that Satanism doesn't lie about motives. There are no excuses. No passing the buck. And though you strive to be a sort of ultimate being...being human is NOT a sin that needs to be saved. That being a human being who makes mistakes is ok. I liked that my life was put into my own hands. And Satanism gave me the tools to keep it that way. I liked that I didn't need to be saved. That there wasn't something intrinsically wrong with me...from birth. I really liked the no nonsense, no bs attitude. It shoots straight from the hip in harsh unapologetic language...just like me.

Comment

So, as I've been asking others on religions I'm not as familiar with:

Do you have any basic tenets, like rules to follow?

What are the most important stories/people in the religion?

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=108.msg3657#msg3657 date=1287283335]
                          So, as I've been asking others on religions I'm not as familiar with:

Do you have any basic tenets, like rules to follow?

What are the most important stories/people in the religion?
                          [/quote]
                          There are no 'rules' other than my own. But there are general statements that most Satanists agree with. The basic 101 would be the 9 Satanic Statements and the 11 Rules of the Earth.

And...
                          As for important people and or stories? There are no 'stories of myth' to be told. As for people? Anton LaVey is an important person to us. But then after that? It really depends on who influences you in particular. Poets,philosophers, actors, politicians, environmentalists. Whatever motivates you in your life.

Comment

" 5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal."

*wonders what the mating signal is*
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=108.msg3702#msg3702 date=1287293560]
                              " 5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal."

*wonders what the mating signal is*
                              [/quote]
                              I am going with " Don't be a douche or douchette" You start flirting with someone and they aren't flirting with you? Or are in a relationship? Well you get what comes to you. Either a good time from a whore or whore man...or a big fat punch in the face. Take your chances!

Comment

Working...
                              X