Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ave Satanas (the Ask a Satanist thread)

Do you have any holidays? If so, are they more for secular reasons than religious ones as you are athiest? What about theistic Satanists? I'm thinking Christian holidays would be a no-go, but... I don't know.

ps. I was working my way through a lot of these religious threads on the old site, and many of my questions were getting answered that way, but I ran out of time so I'm posing those that were left.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I really like the 9 Satanic Statements and 11 Rules of the Earth. Except for one here and there they seem pretty rational to me.

I have a question though. In your Religious Outlook you wrote LaVeyan Satanist and you are a modern, atheistic Satanist, does that mean that Traditional, theistic Satanists call themselves something else?

[color=red]My friend's mom - "What's the name of that movie with Mel Gibson and the ailiens?"
      My friend- "Passion of the Crist"
      Me= *ROFLMGAO*

Comment

[quote author=Thaleia Chara link=topic=108.msg4659#msg4659 date=1287469112]
        I have a question though. In your Religious Outlook you wrote LaVeyan Satanist and you are a modern, atheistic Satanist, does that mean that Traditional, theistic Satanists call themselves something else?
        [/quote]

My sister was a theistic Satanist back in the 70s/early 80s, before she became Wiccan in the early 90s. She never referred to herself specifically as a 'theistic/deistic' Satanist. I'm not sure if it's because she didn't know other types of Satanism might exist, or if it was because other sects didn't really pop up until more recently. I'd never heard of Setianism before the late 90s, and I still think to myself that they're trying to ride on the shirt-tails of 'true' Satanism.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=Thaleia Chara link=topic=108.msg4659#msg4659 date=1287469112]
          I really like the 9 Satanic Statements and 11 Rules of the Earth. Except for one here and there they seem pretty rational to me.

[/quote]
          Modern as in not the Traditional Satanists..who tend to be theistic. They could be called Traditional or spiritual etc. It's just to differentiate theistic and Atheistic really.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So...why call one's self a Satanist then? Why not just call it ego-driven atheism?

(tries to think of the other gazillion questions that cropped up in the other thread)
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=108.msg4755#msg4755 date=1287495595]
              So...why call one's self a Satanist then? Why not just call it ego-driven atheism?

(tries to think of the other gazillion questions that cropped up in the other thread)
              [/quote]
              Good question.
              Rok *for those who don't know, he was Pagan* is an Atheist. He lives his belief system his way. I've mentioned before he probably still carries his Pagan habits perhaps. Some Atheists live their belief system through Buddhism actually. Apparently some through Pantheism (winks at spartacandream) I live out my Atheism through Satanism. I believe in the philosophy of Satanism. Many Atheists don't.

As for ego driven? Technically if we really look at religion of any person...you are all full of ego. It's not such a bad thing. Satanists...just are a tad more in touch with this bit of truth I guess. :P

Comment

Do the 11 Rules of the Earth come specifically from satanism or a branch of it? or is that adopted from something else?

I'm surprised, because I agree with every one of them. Which leads me to want to be more informed on the subject in case it should be something that fits well with me, and might be something I would follow.

Are there links to accurate information on satanism? I'm not shy to say I'm a bit afraid to google it. Also not doubtful the results I might get would be most inaccurate.

Comment

Jodee I have loads of questions for you hun! In my current searching I am researching everything and to be honest after reading the Nine Satanic Statements and the 11 Rules of the Earth I suddenly feel really fascinated!

So what is the attraction to Satanism? Is it the hedonistic nature of it, because it does come over very much as self gratifying. Sort of Utilitarian in a sense.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[quote author=SunSpireFire link=topic=108.msg5140#msg5140 date=1287557304]
                    Do the 11 Rules of the Earth come specifically from satanism or a branch of it? or is that adopted from something else?

I'm surprised, because I agree with every one of them. Which leads me to want to be more informed on the subject in case it should be something that fits well with me, and might be something I would follow.

Are there links to accurate information on satanism? I'm not shy to say I'm a bit afraid to google it. Also not doubtful the results I might get would be most inaccurate.
                    [/quote]
                    The 11 Rules of the Earth are specifically used with Laveyan Satanism since they are directly from Lavey himself.
                    One of the most comprehensive user friendly website for people wanting to know about Satanism is http://www.dpjs.co.uk/index.html
                    It's ok. Click it!

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=108.msg5169#msg5169 date=1287571810]
                    Jodee I have loads of questions for you hun! In my current searching I am researching everything and to be honest after reading the Nine Satanic Statements and the 11 Rules of the Earth I suddenly feel really fascinated!

So what is the attraction to Satanism? Is it the hedonistic nature of it, because it does come over very much as self gratifying. Sort of Utilitarian in a sense.

[/quote]
                    Well. You might think it's full of hedonism. But note, there is NO passing the blame or whining in Satanism. There is no whoa is me allowed in Satanism. You take full responsibility for your actions whether you like it or not. You pay every single consequence for every bad decision you ever make. I am being harsh here for a reason. Fascination is wonderful. Reality is that you have to be one hard as fuck person to be a Satanist. You know me. You really don't want to be like me. :P

Comment

Fascination, nothing more. I'm kinda not wanting to be anything right now, however it still interest me a great deal Thanks for the answer anyway hun. X
                      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I have to say, that this philosophy of laveyan satanism is very interesting. Could you explain two of the eleven satanic rituals of the earth for me? I'm afraid I don't get it.

4. If a guest in your home annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.

What classifies as annoys you? And is this after they breach number 11? It seems kind of silly to "treat cruelly and without mercy" if the annoyance was something that was something that someone wouldn't really know until you told them. Like, general things can be considered in advance, but certain personal likes and dislikes can't be known if you haven't been to the persons house before. For example, I absolutely hate it when people are eating around me when I'm not and everyone else isn't eating in my house, although I think there is something a little more specific in the scenario that I can't think of off the top of my head or that I'm not aware of. Because certainly if a friend came over and was like, I'm starving, got anything to eat? I'd be like sure, help yourself to whatever, because we're all human and we gotta eat. Though like when I'm in my room doing whatever, and my roommate comes in and is eating and I can smell it, I find it deathly annoying. Anyway!

Also I don't understand the english on number 8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

Can you reword it? Too many negatives. Is it like, don't complain about shit that isn't your problem, or like, more specifically isn't in your grounds to complain? Like, I hate smoking, the smell of it etc, but I could give a flying **** less if you are smoking, as long as it's not around me, I can't smell it, the cost of it isn't affecting me, it's not affecting others negatively, or if you aren't complaining about it. As soon as you complain about it, like "This smoking is costing me so much money" Me: Then quit smoking. Second time you say it, Me: You already know what to do, quit complaining about it. I also find this interesting how this philosophy still leaves open the ability to just bitch and complain to friends and family. I love complaining about shit to some friends, because it just makes me feel better, getting it out and just saying it, and they do them same to me.

Thanks in advance!

Btw, is that your real picture there, your avatar?

Comment

[quote author=Hoho link=topic=108.msg7187#msg7187 date=1288169116]
                          Also I don't understand the english on number 8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
                          [/quote]

See, I totally 'get' this one. It's one of the few religious tenets I've been able to fully embrace.

"I can't stand when they put these hoochie-mamas on t.v. Do you see the way that girl is dressed? Oh my Lord, how can she stand to walk around that way? Doesn't she know how offensive that is?!" on & on & on ad nauseum....

Are you being forced to watch that t.v. show? Are you being forced to read some book or article that offends your sensibilities? Is someone tying you into the Clockwork Orange chair & cutting off your eyelids so you can't blink or close your eyes?

In other words, if something that you can walk away from, change the channel or stop doing - then get away from it, put the book down, change the channel, and don't subject yourself to it any more! Voila! If it's bothering you enough to complain about it, go away.

Small children bother me. You don't see me at Disneyland, bitching about how many kids there are running around like small screaming roaches. Reality TV bugs me. I don't even have a t.v. & when people at work are watching yet another reality show on the breakroom t.v., instead of sitting in the breakroom & ruining their break by complaining, I go somewhere else, like outside, to take my break.

In other words, it means get off your butt & exercise some free will.
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Are you a member of the Church of Satan? Or another organization (I think there are others, but don't recall off the top of my head)? If not, have you ever been involved in the group version of this religion? What are your thoughts on that type of organization?
                            The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Let's start with the easy one first! And I love love love your smilee!
                              [quote author=Madness link=topic=108.msg7320#msg7320 date=1288206405]

Are you a member of the Church of Satan? Or another organization (I think there are others, but don't recall off the top of my head)? If not, have you ever been involved in the group version of this religion? What are your thoughts on that type of organization?
                              [/quote]
                              I am not a member of the CoS. I do belong to a forum of the Modern Church of Satan, but I am not an official member. I do not mesh will with organized religions on the whole. The CoS, as it is now, is full of bloated egotistical egos. If I wanted that I would have stayed in the Catholic church. It's leadership though, may finally be taking a path back to its original form with the returning of one of its older members Boyd Rice. There's too much political nonsense to really get into. But I do not belong nor do I wish to belong to the CoS. And most LaVeyan Satanists do not belong to the CoS.

4. If a guest in your home annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
                              This is one of those statements that is harsh in its wording. Yet delving deeper it's about your own right to treat others in your home your way. You have a right to treat them cruelly and without mercy. But mostly we don't. Also I would note that in other wordings of this statement they use the word LAIR. In the context of...someone coming in and trying to harm your home and hearth. You have a right no matter what, to take care of your shit.

Here is a quote on how this rule can also be viewed:
                              There have been multiple times when someone in my "lair" has annoyed me. Sometimes I forgive, sometimes I don't. However I don't think I've ever treated anyone cruelly and without mercy. Likewise I have definitely annoyed people (sometimes even intentionally) when in their own domain. They haven't treated me without mercy either, and I don't believe they'd have been warranted to do so (authoritive condemnation of my actions would be a much better start). These two laws are pretty broken, or, I am not capable of interpreting what LaVey meant by them. I think he may meant "you have a right to treat people in your home how you wish", which would explain why you have to give respect in someone else's place, because they too have this right.
                              8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
                              If it isn't your problem, then do not complain. If you want to make it your problem, don't complain but do something.
                              This is one of the greatest pieces of social advice ever. Satanists aim to be powerful people, taking their lives into their own hands because if you can't look after yourself, no-one else will. If something is wrong that you could easily change then change it. It's pro-active. Don't moan, complain or whinge, simply deal with it. Life is not fair and never will be, you need to not complain about that which is not fair and go about rectifying the problem.
                              source

Btw, is that your real picture there, your avatar?
                              Yes, That's me with my new haircut.

Comment

So, with interest peaked, in a way I've not been interested in anything in a long time... I found a PDF version of the Satanic Bible and have been reading through it (it shall be added to my various religions bookshelf). I have to say, It's fantastic. And it's also astounding how much of it applies to myself, as well as how much stereotype and taboo is passed around by ill-informed word-of-mouth on the subject.

I think the one big question I had on it was why it was decided to call it satanism and not something else, when satanism, and satan the words, hold so much negative imagery. But that was quickly explained, in a logical, well thought-out way. It leaves me wishing that the majority of the christian believer's really DID understand their own religious concepts, and also that people knew more about what being a satanist is, outside the stereotype of what they THINK it is.

---
                                Also it takes note of an intrinsic part of me (my asexuality if you will.), that I've never been able to find cited in other religious doctrine.

the study continues!

Comment

Working...
                                X