Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ave Satanas (the Ask a Satanist thread)

I am glad you are enjoying the Satanic Bible. Seriously, if the word Satanic was taken out of it, most people would have to fess up that they agree with alot of what's in there. It's very down to earth basic common sense. I enjoy this religion tremendously because it fits who I am. The very complex nature of myself...well I don't have to compromise myself to be a Satanist. It just...fits.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Being that he worked in a circus before, and having watched one of his interviews, and seeing some of the rituals done in the Church of Satan, I think the whole calling it "satanism", "CHURCH of Satan", and using "satan" may have had as much to do with his being into grabbing attention, as it was for whatever other reasons.

Why do they call it Satanism? Why Satan? I know theistic Satanists sometimes see Satan as the adversarial spirit, but I forgot why Laveyans called it such. Same reason?
      I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
      I became Abdishtar this spring.
      Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

[quote author=spartacandream link=topic=108.msg8528#msg8528 date=1288536996]
        Being that he worked in a circus before, and having watched one of his interviews, and seeing some of the rituals done in the Church of Satan, I think the whole calling it "satanism", "CHURCH of Satan", and using "satan" may have had as much to do with his being into grabbing attention, as it was for whatever other reasons.

Why do they call it Satanism? Why Satan? I know theistic Satanists sometimes see Satan as the adversarial spirit, but I forgot why Laveyans called it such. Same reason?
        [/quote]
        Semantics really. Theistic Satanists see Satan as an adversarial spirit. Atheistics see him as an adversarial archetype. We are probably both seeing Satan in the same light. Using his image for the same purpose. But one is literal while the other is metaphorical. You also have to take into consideration the era LaVey created LaVeyan Satanism. It was in the 60s. 1966 the Satanic Bible came out. Pretty much back then to be an adversarial type, you simply need be opposite of the establishment. Up was down. Right was wrong. Etc etc.

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=108.msg8759#msg8759 date=1288602491]
          Semantics really. Theistic Satanists see Satan as an adversarial spirit. Atheistics see him as an adversarial archetype. We are probably both seeing Satan in the same light. Using his image for the same purpose. But one is literal while the other is metaphorical. You also have to take into consideration the era LaVey created LaVeyan Satanism. It was in the 60s. 1966 the Satanic Bible came out. Pretty much back then to be an adversarial type, you simply need be opposite of the establishment. Up was down. Right was wrong. Etc etc.
          [/quote]
          That makes sense. Even though I don't claim to be a Satanist, my views/beliefs in many ways sound alot like LaVeyan Satanism. When I first learned about it reading the Satanic Bible, much of it just made sense, and was in line with stuff before. The only reason I don't call myself one is that I don't like drawing attention to myself, and am afraid that I'd draw up too much negative attention. Especially living with baptist fundamentalist parents.
          I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
          I became Abdishtar this spring.
          Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

Wow, reading this really reminded me of myself... I am also respecting those 11. rules of the earth, although never knowed they are named like that...

Yet i still have some questions:
            1. Does Satanism have any sects, like the Catholic Church have/had?
            2. I've read that you are not member of Church of Satan. But. Have you been in any church or temple, ''I don't know how the Satan's worshiping place is called''? Attending the (is this correct?) Black mass?

sigpic

Comment

Medusa, we've talked before about how you have confidence, and are better at saying "no" then when you were my age...how else would you say Satanism has influenced how you perceive yourself, and interact with the world at large?
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Whoopsie. Somehow this didn't show up in my unread threads. Weird....

1. Does Satanism have any sects, like the Catholic Church have/had?
                Well there are two main paths in Satanism. And the sects will belong to one or the other.

Theistic Satanism:
                Luciferian
                Temple of Set
                LaVeyan Satanism (incorporating rituals)

Atheistic Satanism:
                Laveyan Satanism
                Modern Satanism
                As you can see LaVeyan can be in both sects depending upon how the user...well uses the symbol of Satan.

There are many smaller ones, but those are the main ones that I am aware of off the top of my head.
                Have you been in any church or temple, ''I don't know how the Satan's worshiping place is called''? Attending the (is this correct?) Black mass?
                There aren't any churches per say. Satanists will form a grotto (aka a coven) and do their worshiping, gathering, rituals etc usually in a secluded outdoor spot. Or even in a practitioner's backyard, basement or hell...front room. The location is not really sacred.

how else would you say Satanism has influenced how you perceive yourself, and interact with the world at large?
                Good question. Before Satanism I was a victim of...well monsters. Those monsters scarred me and formed my personality before I had a chance to form it myself. Satanism allowed me to tap into that rage and primal hate. And instead of turning it into something vile and destructive to me? I used it to form a very personal and strong archtype. That of Medusa. I learned through Satanism how to form a new me. To become the uber me. And to not fear showing it. As a larger woman..I am not frightened to say I am beautiful. I am Independant. I use. I manipulate. I conquer. I slither and snake. Pretty much I decided I was going to be a bad ass man in a woman's body!

But seriously? Satanism allowed me to accept who I wanted to be. And to not fear expressing that. It allowed ME to be important in my life and not put myself last. It allowed ME to view things through these eyes. And not through what someone else wanted me to see. I have my own voice. My own morals. My own code of conduct. All formed from my own thoughts. No other hand moves me other than my own. It allowed me to reclaim myself. I may be someone's daughter, some man's girlfriend, some boss's employee. But I am my own woman first. And Satanism really taught me not only how to do it, but how not to apologize for it.

Comment

I know you're not a theistic Satanist, but could you go over the whole 'son of Satan/Anti-Christ' thing for us?
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

A friend of mine is a Satanist (although not LaVeyan), and atheist. He believes life is just biology and nothing more. When our bodies die, it's over. There is nothing after. Do you believe that and, if so, isn't it a bit depressing to believe there's no afterlife?

Mod Note: Fixed
                    Sleep, my friend, and you will see
                    That dream is my reality

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=108.msg24131#msg24131 date=1293036584]
                      I know you're not a theistic Satanist, but could you go over the whole 'son of Satan/Anti-Christ' thing for us?
                      [/quote]
                      Oh man. I am sooo not capable of answering this question from a Satanic point of view. Although I do know the myth from a Catholic point of view. Satanism doesn't really look into Anti Christ stuff. But Catholics? Oh they sure do. I will give you a link to the Catholic version of the AntiChrist. Most importantly it's not just An Antichrist. It's more like which one?....
                      Defines the word according to its biblical and ecclesiastical usage

Trust me, it's a fascinating read!
                      [quote author=calfhill link=topic=108.msg24137#msg24137 date=1293038297]
                      A friend of mine is a Satanist (although not LaVeyan), and atheist. He believes life is just biology and nothing more. When our bodies die, it's over. There is nothing after. Do you believe that and, if so, isn't it a bit depressing to believe there's no afterlife?

Mod Note: Fixed
                      [/quote]
                      The most accurate answer I have is this: I do not know what happens to me when I die. I know what happens to my body. But not the 'other' parts of me. And with that...do any of us? Really? No one knows what ACTUALLY happens. We have knowledge based in faith, hunches, hopes and prayers. But none of us actually know. So in that YOU are in the same boat I am in.
                      Is it depressing?

Well I am a person with depression. I know of other depressing news besides that. There is no Santa, no God, no free coupons without a hitch. I still live a relatively happy life aside from that knowledge.

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=108.msg24184#msg24184 date=1293056347]
                        no free coupons without a hitch.[/quote]

What do you mean there are no free coupons without a hitch *faints*

Comment

This topic should be called "Ask a LaVeyan Satanism" ! as I disagree with all of your responds.
                          "The life is in breath." -Thoth

Comment

Read the first post in this thread

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=108.msg413#msg413 date=1286658315]
                            Hmm..so this is the third thread I had going on Satanism. I am a LaVeyan Satanist going on 23 years now. As a Modern Satanist, I am an Atheist and not a theistic Satanist. Though I can still try to answer those questions for you.

*links to come later
                            [/quote]

[4:82]

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=108.msg25254#msg25254 date=1293530369]
                              Read the first post in this thread
                              [/quote]
                              I read all of the posts yesterday.What I'm saying is "Ave Satanas (the Ask a Satanist thread)" represents all of satanists and as I know LaVeyan Satanism is not the only Satanism system, maybe the most popular.We have Spiritual Satanism like JoS or Freelance Spiritual Satanists, we have Reverse Christians, we have African Spiritual Satanism, etc. and except Reverse Xians, all of the mentioned paths disagree with Atheistic Satanism.
                              "The life is in breath." -Thoth

Comment

[quote author=Chalice link=topic=108.msg25253#msg25253 date=1293530113]
                                This topic should be called "Ask a LaVeyan Satanist" ! as I disagree with all of your responds.
                                [/quote]

Instead of making broad statements like that, why don't you go over some of the specific points that you disagree with from your own perspective and experiences? Maybe give us all who aren't Satanists some varying points of view?
                                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                                X