X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with Odin

The title pretty much explains it.
    What are some of your experiences with Odin? Do you have any advice about approaching him?

Re: Experiences with Odin

My experience has been that Odin is a super intense god. He brooks no shit. It's hard to ignore Him if He's trying to get your attention--although I guess this could apply to any god. I never got much of a sense of cheeriness about Him; Odin strikes me as a god who spends a great deal of His time being serious. Given His story, I'm not surprised.

Can't say how you might approach Odin. I set up a shrine to Him and ended up feeling like my insides were torn apart whenever I approached because I wasn't meant to be there. Reflecting on my path so far, my most intense experiences have actually been linked to Odin. This god really knows how to get to you.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

^Pretty much that. In my experience, I've only approached him when I was in need of wisdom/guidance. Though he is a little more welcoming with me compared to others (I'd guess because of my ancestry), I tend to keep any contact short and to the point. "I need X wisdom to do Y and outcome Z will benefit both of us. Can you help me?" Stuff along those lines.

He did seem to be a little, not cheery, but anxious when he prodded me to look into the runes. And the longest I've worked with him was when I invited him to sit in on the making of my first set of runes. I've invited him to sit in again when I make my next, more official set after being able to learn more.

I seem to be a "special case" when it comes to contacting the gods, because of my fierce lifelong stance against any form of worship, so I really have no advice as to how to approach him. I guess get to the point quickly? Maybe have some mead handy too.

Comment

I've had experiences with a number of Norse gods and goddesses. But NOT with Odin. And honestly I'm in no hurry to change that :P
        "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Not Odin, but Woden (Anglo-Saxon) and it was pretty damned intense... even had UFO's following me home afterwards...
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
            What are some of your experiences with Odin? Do you have any advice about approaching him?
            At the age of sixteen, I went through a series of events which led me to take on the label of berserkur. As such, Othin has been my de facto patron for many years. Ol' One-Eye certainly isn't the friendliest or most approachable fellow, and to call him intense is an understatement. If you approach him, be prepared for anything. Yggur can, and likely will, shake you to your very core. He has this tendency to throw you into the deep end with no warning and no time to prepare; he'll drag you to the edge of Hel and back. One need only to look at his MANY names to understand all of this. All that said, he isn't exactly boring! He keeps you on your toes, and everything he does to you is for your own good. Now, for what reason do you want to approach the Gallows' Burden?

Comment

Originally posted by Bjarki View Post
              At the age of sixteen, I went through a series of events which led me to take on the label of berserkur. As such, Othin has been my de facto patron for many years. Ol' One-Eye certainly isn't the friendliest or most approachable fellow, and to call him intense is an understatement. If you approach him, be prepared for anything. Yggur can, and likely will, shake you to your very core. He has this tendency to throw you into the deep end with no warning and no time to prepare; he'll drag you to the edge of Hel and back. One need only to look at his MANY names to understand all of this. All that said, he isn't exactly boring! He keeps you on your toes, and everything he does to you is for your own good. Now, for what reason do you want to approach the Gallows' Burden?

Interesting...

To me Heathenry has always been and is about garnering a share of luck and good fortune through honoring the ancient contract of reciprocity with your gods, ancestors, and kin.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
                To me Heathenry has always been and is about garnering a share of luck and good fortune through honoring the ancient contract of reciprocity with your gods, ancestors, and kin.
                Indeed, honoring the reciprocal contract between ourselves and the higher powers is certainly at the core of Heathenry. It's all about hospitality; a gift for a gift. However, I'm not sure why you quoted my last post. Are you implying I disagree with you?

Comment

My Experiences with Odin have been very limited and only once have I ever sought him out on my own accord, and I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience. Odin terrifies the living-bujeezus out of me. But at the same time I've always felt safest when in his presence, or when his hand is in play, the only other time I've felt that protected is when I'm in the presence of my Matron Nyx.

My 1st and most....eventful experience happened in a dream. I was conversing (Aka, fooling around) with my Spirit Animals (A Wolf and a White Siberian Tiger) when they suddenly stopped in their tracks and cocked their heads in a northern direction. They took off at a full sprint and I followed. They led me to a clearing where a bearded man in very plain, brown robes was siting on a stone next to a small fire. Still following my animals I approached the man. When I was close enough to feel the heat form the fire, he suddenly made a sweeping gesture and my animals plopped themselves on the ground. Seeing that my animals were completely comfortable with the man (The tiger had started to clean herself, typical cat, hehe) I relaxed as best I could, but his presence was very...intense and intimidating....He motioned for me to sit on the rock across the fire from him and as soon as I did I could here drums in the background. Images of Runes began to show in the flames. Looking back on it the message of the runes was very obvious and clear, but at the time I hadn't begun to learn about runes yet, so the images were very confusing. The runes read a message of Distance, Travel, Strength, Protection, Wisdom and Kinship. But there were also a few runes of fear and danger and great change. Over-all, it was a very intense and overwhelming. He had been silent up until then, but after the runes faded he spoke. He was very brief and to the point. He told me of a shaman of his following that would soon cross my path. His instructions were very clear; I was to befriend the shaman. He also told me that when I met him he would not be a shaman yet. And with that he got up, grabbed his walking stick and left, walked right into the forest and vanished.

Comment

English is not my native language, so sorry about any possible typos.
                    I'm starting to feel that there's something wrong with me, because Odin doesn't scare the living the daylights out of me. He is very intensive - yes, there is duality in him, and he's not always so nice, but i don't see that enough of a reason not to like him, nor avoid he's attention. He is god of war and death, but he's also god of wisdom, poetry, shamanism and magic. He always seeks of wisdom, and he's ready to pay the price for it. He hanged him self in yggrasil-tree and let him be pierced by he's own spear - he sacrificed him self, so he could get the wisdom of runes. That's something you just have to admire and respect. He didn't start to whine; "could some one bring me two chikens, a virgin (or my only son), so i could sacrifice them and get some runes. He gave him self, and correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't know any other god who has pulled such a stunt. And what's more important, Odin didn't skimp wisdom of runes like uncle Scrooge he's lucky coin, Odin shared it with humans. (And this is why i like him so much.)

And the last but not least, little quote from the Asatru community's web page:

Asatru places the highest value of human freedom and individuality. This is true in both secular and religious matters, and is so strong that while we honor our gods and goddeses, we will never grovel before them. The shining gods and goddeses are models and inspirations ; self-avare personifications of the forces of nature and life. They are our friends, but never will they be our masters, and we will never be their slaves. We do not bow our heads before them, we do not bend the knee or surrender our judgment or our sovereignity.
                    Pray the Gods - Fine - But keep rowing to shore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                      Not Odin, but Woden (Anglo-Saxon) ......
                      And in German I call him Wotan

And yes - he ist still very much alive!

Comment

The closest experience I had with Odin is at a coronation in the Spiritual Realm (or the Astral Realm or whatever you'd prefer) I don't remember speaking with him, just sensing his presence out of the many deities and entities that were there also.

(If anyone has questions about this, feel free to pm me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Varga View Post

And the last but not least, little quote from the Asatru community's web page:

Asatru places the highest value of human freedom and individuality. This is true in both secular and religious matters, and is so strong that while we honor our gods and goddeses, we will never grovel before them. The shining gods and goddeses are models and inspirations ; self-avare personifications of the forces of nature and life. They are our friends, but never will they be our masters, and we will never be their slaves. We do not bow our heads before them, we do not bend the knee or surrender our judgment or our sovereignity.

This rampant chest thumping viking bravado nonsense has got to stop, they are not our kin, our friends, our mentors or our buddies. They are gods for cryin' out loud and anyone who thinks no one ever bowed their head to them or took a knee is flat out stupid.

There are numerous examples and even some of full prostration. If modern "heathens" do not want to bow or kneel, then don't but to dismiss the idea outright shows complete ignorance on their part.

Comment

I re read my post, and i didn't notice that i would have represented my thoughts as an absolute truths that others should follow. I was just telling my point of a view, and if that offended you and others - i'm sorry. Matters of religion are such a delicate things and people don't always like that, if someone experiences deities other than commonly accepted ways. My bad. I thought this is a forum where you can share your thoughts and points of views openly, without being immediately judged as an heretic. It seems that i was wrong.
                            Pray the Gods - Fine - But keep rowing to shore.

Comment

Originally posted by Varga View Post
                              I re read my post, and i didn't notice that i would have represented my thoughts as an absolute truths that others should follow. I was just telling my point of a view, and if that offended you and others - i'm sorry. Matters of religion are such a delicate things and people don't always like that, if someone experiences deities other than commonly accepted ways. My bad. I thought this is a forum where you can share your thoughts and points of views openly, without being immediately judged as an heretic. It seems that i was wrong.
                              I was specifically referring to the quote you posted from that particular "groups" website and not necessarily on anything you yourself said in particular.

Comment

Working...
                              X