This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Experiences with Odin

I will share what I think is an experience. You all can feel free to tell me if im full of shit.

This happened in Florida (Altamonte Springs). I came home from a break at work. I left to go back to work and as I was driving I synced my breath with the name of Odin. In other words on the in breath I silently (mentally) said Odin. On the out breath I did the same. It was calming me and only 2 minutes later I get to a stop light. I see this old man on his bicycle crossing the street. He had long grey hair and an eye patch. I was intrigued even though he could just be a simple traveler or homeless guy wandering or even just some dude going for a bike ride. Regardless to me it seemed as if something synchronized. I dont see many people with an eye patch. It was just strange that he matched a traditional description of Odin.

I dont think too much of it in terms of me having a special experience. It just left me amused at the world and reality.

Comment

I was trying to find a way to interact with Odin that was neutral or non-religion specific. I have started reading to him since the Eddas say he loves to sit with Saga and hear stories. I decided to read a book about the area I live in and it's been a very interesting experience. It's casual for one and I basically pour us drinks and read a chapter or two depending on how large they are. I stop and point out where places the book mentions are and experience I have had at some. I can tell you when I begin to read the energy in the room changes and at funny or parts I explain I get a rush of energy directed my way. It feels like excitement or interest. I would not have thought it was going to be such and intimate and direct experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
        I was trying to find a way to interact with Odin that was neutral or non-religion specific. I have started reading to him since the Eddas say he loves to sit with Saga and hear stories. I decided to read a book about the area I live in and it's been a very interesting experience. It's casual for one and I basically pour us drinks and read a chapter or two depending on how large they are. I stop and point out where places the book mentions are and experience I have had at some. I can tell you when I begin to read the energy in the room changes and at funny or parts I explain I get a rush of energy directed my way. It feels like excitement or interest. I would not have thought it was going to be such and intimate and direct experience.
        That sounds really interesting! I'm going to file this away for later
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
          I was thinking the same thing, thats a different take on Odin worship.
          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
          sigpic
          In Days of yore,
          From Britain's shore
          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
          And planted firm Britannia's flag
          On Canada's fair domain.
          Here may it wave,
          Our boast, our pride
          And joined in love together,
          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Me three. I need to get back into reading the classics of saga. I used to love just reading about Odin as simple worship.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
              I was thinking the same thing, thats a different take on Odin worship.
              Originally posted by Ignorantfool View Post
              Me three. I need to get back into reading the classics of saga. I used to love just reading about Odin as simple worship.
              It was a bit strange to read out loud at first so I made sure I choose a book I would be interested in reading.

Comment

Man, Ula, that's interesting.

My experience with Odin has been oddly peripheral. He gets involved in my life when he feels my husband, who is much more strongly atheist then I am, isn't listening. It's rather dramatic when it happens. I'm not surprised, though...personality-wise those two are a good fit. He never makes an alter for the All-Father, but certain books and a little glass chess board we have make an appearance on the bookshelf together, and whatever is worth having gets poured on Wednesdays. This comes and goes, though. Odin seems to be a god that can check up on people, get really involved for a bit, then take off and see how you do on your own.
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                  Man, Ula, that's interesting.

My experience with Odin has been oddly peripheral. He gets involved in my life when he feels my husband, who is much more strongly atheist then I am, isn't listening. It's rather dramatic when it happens. I'm not surprised, though...personality-wise those two are a good fit. He never makes an alter for the All-Father, but certain books and a little glass chess board we have make an appearance on the bookshelf together, and whatever is worth having gets poured on Wednesdays. This comes and goes, though. Odin seems to be a god that can check up on people, get really involved for a bit, then take off and see how you do on your own.
                  Wish Odin would get involved with my husband!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Wish Odin would get involved with my husband!
                    Careful what you wish for, Heka...
                    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                    Clan of my Clan
                    Kin of my Kin
                    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post

Careful what you wish for, Heka...
                      Looooooolll!!!

RIP

You cut your hair short
                      Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I don't particularly like Odhinn, and I don't have any interest in working with him. But oddly, I get the feeling that he respects that. I am sworn to one of the Nornir, and through that I am doing some work with Frigg. Try approaching a goddess when it's clear that you disapprove of her husband! She doesn't seem to mind. And he seems to approve. It's a strange dynamic, but it's there.

Comment

I recently got to know Odin and the other Norse gods better. I have read the Edda and 'The Norse Myths' from Kevin Crossley-Holland, which I recommend to everyone interested in Norse mythology. I love the way Odin challenges others using his wisdom and knowledge. This is his strongest quality and I think he respects those who seek wisdom and call for his guidance.

Comment

Yeah, I've heard Odin described as a "big picture" god rather than a god for individuals. He's not evil, obviously, but he will screw over the little guy if it means taking care of the world at large. Though one person I know described Odin as a "recruiter", he's like the guy you don't know very well who brings you to a party. As you make your way around, you start hitting it off with some of the other guests (other gods, ancestors, etc) and Odin, who originally invited you, goes off and leaves you be while he takes care of party stuff.

I felt this was a good description, as I did feel like it was Odin who brought me into the fold. Mostly just things that spoke out to me in the lore and a little voice in the back of my mind that gradually nudged me there. But now that I'm here, I feel the same as most people do. I have an awe of Odin, certainly. But I'm not sure if I'll ever end up becoming an Odinswoman. Right now I'm not worrying to much about that and I'm just having a good time diving into my studies and practice.

Comment

I had one this winter, I was at my brothers for a night. I had smoked quite a bit of Cannabis, and sat down on the stairs by myself and closed my eyes to meditate.
                              I suddenly was chanting the word "Odin" in my head to the point where it became a clearly audible voice, but not of my own, yet my own.
                              The chanting became louder to a point where I could hear it was several men (it's not a auditory thing you hear with your ears, if that helps you understand) and I started quite vividly seeing the tops of mountains, ones which were obviously quite Northern European.
                              I was in such a trance that I really couldn't even think "Is this real?"
                              It's a strange feeling though because I could tell I was having a conversation of sorts, and I could understand what he was saying and the words. Yet there were no words being said at all, do you get what I mean? It's a really weird thing..
                              I haven't had it happen again since. Sadly that is my own fault, I have not set aside enough time to devote to the gods like I should.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                                I've heard of pouring drinks for Odin but the reading part is a very interesting approach. I imagine it makes the experience very meaningful! (Not discounting what others have said!)

This happened to me a few months ago when I was out in the yard during a very cloudy afternoon. I wasn't doing any anything but simply thinking of Odin. Long story short, I always felt close to him. I've heard multitude of explanations on why he's not to be taken lightly and I respect that. You're not called the All-Father and ruler of Asgard for nothing. While I wholly acknowledge Odin as a warrior, I've always been drawn to his wisdom. I love reading and writing so it doesn't need much explaining.

So anyways, I was outside and allowing my mind to drift. I imagined him wandering from place to place. Toward the end, I kept saying "one-eyed wanderer". There was a point where I felt like he was looking at me.

What snapped me out of my thoughts was a caw. I didn't think anything of it at first but then I heard it again. I looked up and saw ravens fly away. And I was so wrapped up in that I didn't see the clouds thicken. A few seconds later, it began to rain.

Its definitely an experience I won't forget .

Comment

Working...
                                X