This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Fangled Cost Effective Home Heating System

It costs about $20 to get started, and costs about 50 cents or less a day to keep going. Love for someone to give this a try and see if it works.

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/11/how-to-easily-heat-your-home-using-flower-pots-and-tea-lights.html

Re: New Fangled Cost Effective Home Heating System

Neat! My husband loves these kinds of things, I guarantee he'll have one made tonight...

EDIT: Sent him the link at work and he got this: "Content blocked by your organization <h1 id="noscript-blockMessage">Content blocked by your organization</h1>
    Reason:This Websense category is filtered: Marijuana."

XD

Comment

When I first saw this, I tried to do some reading up on it. From what I understand, it doesn't work unless the room is tiny and you have more than one set running (one estimate I saw said that to match their heater, they'd need 26 of them). Also, from what I've read, the "physics" that explains why it should work is fairly faulty pop science (thought I don't know enough about physics to assess it for myself)

And, I don't know where they are getting their tea lights from, but they really don't last that long...cheap parafin tea lights last about 2-3 hours, unless you are getting soy or beeswax (the time doubles, but they can run about $1 per tealight).

IMO, unless you can't afford utilities anyhow, you are better off making your home energy efficient...

...Where's mythbusters when you need them?
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I don't know if it would work in my place either because the rooms are larger and there are a lot of open spaces. I also don't think it could work in the average Berlin apartment, because most have very high ceilings. However, homes on this side of the world are often small and have smaller rooms, so I could see it working quite well.

I have a ton of Ikea tea lights...I'll do an experiment and let you know how long they burn!

Comment

Working...
        X