Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I?

Hi,

I registered here because I heard that Pagans were very open minded people and wanted your opinions and perspectives on faith and religions.

Well first off, I do not really know what I am, nor what to make of the interpretations of my beliefs.

I was born and raised as a christian, my parent are deeply spiritual persons and I received all the sacraments by the church and religious courses in high school.

Now as a grow as an Adult, not yet 25 years old, I am in a period of my life where I am questioning my beliefs and start learning new ideas, new concepts.

I am quite a believer of the paranormal and extraterrestrial truth be told. I like science as well. In my view there is a possiblity (for I am open-minded) that Jesus Christ might be the son on God but I can't convinced myself. Nor that Mary was a virgin bearing the holy child. I am not confortable with the dogma of the catholic church and the power given to religious institutions.

I've started looking to what ''Paganisim'' means and I do not think it fit my profile. Frist of all I am not a believer of magic, as a cosmic force ect. I can't really find myself to worship many gods, it seems too strange for me, especially as I always pictured god as indescriable entity (though sometimes I adress my prayers in plurial, in the possiblity that I am wrong..) responsable for the setting for the creation of the Universe (or Multiverse) to unfold by itself. Also, I do not really think that God (or gods) meddle in it's creation. I think He(or They) let it work on it's own as a creation.

Well where does that leave me? I do not seem to find a suitable chair to define myself. After various researches I think what come closer to my set of beliefs and interpretation is known as: Deism

What are you thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Re: What am I?

Welcome! There are all sorts here, I'm a Christian, and they keep me around, so I'm sure you'll fit in whatever you figure out yourself as. I hope you like your time here and its helpful to you!

Deism sounds the closest to your beleifs from what you've said.
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Hello, Wonder!
      Welcome to the forum.
      I have read your post, the situation you are in is not easy to get out of. Many pagans are really open minded, but every religion, even Judaism or Christianity doesn't require only 1 form of worshiping. There are many forms of believing in a religion. A follower of a religion might disagree with some parts of the religion, but he/she might also worship and believe in specific parts of it.
      Try to establish what you believe in, then determine your believes.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Welcome! And please feel free to not need to define/label yourself, also.

Comment

Hey there! You sound like a panentheist to me.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your answers!

Indeed the temptation of wanting to define myself is great. I want to ''belong'' to a belief system that fits me like a nice pair of glove but that isn't easy to find. Perhaps the best way is to have a custom-made beleif system? Or as my mother pointed out to me, a prepaid religion?

Science offers me a great way to understand our world and it's environement but still left many questions unanswered. My view is that it could be that the answers can be ''glimpsed'' by spiritual beliefs.

I didn't know about panentheist, after a quick research it it looks interesting but not sure that I find myself in this concept. The idea that the Universe is ''within'' God seems rather strange to me, I haven't considered that before.

The picture I have is a Universe or the Multiverse ( Multiverse is an idea that some physicist have put forward concerning a gigantic ''bubble'' contening various Universes) is that of a very complexe creation , kind of like an experiment that once the very process of elements are in place, can work all by itself by follwing courses of probably and various potential outcomes (as Quantum physcis tells us), without any ''godly intervention'' by the laws of physics and the devloppement nature.

Like a car, once you put the key in teh starter the complex mechanism works of it's own to make the engine operational and the car and neitty of it's own. (the comparision maybe flawed but that's the best I can find)

Also, all the miracles, claims of magic that are often attributed to a divine intervervention I do not really believe in. I think it is soem faculty of the human mind at work, perhaps using some kind of unkown faculty that are the mechanism behind these claims.

I can't seem to stop thinking that we may be in some sort of Matrix. That our 'cousciousness' or ''inner ennergies'' drive our bodies, our ''avatar'' in this living environment. But what would be the purpose of this virtual living environment? I do not know.

Sorry if I sound a bit strange, and throw all these set of disparate beliefs out there, hoping for help!
            Last edited by Wonder; 08 Jan 2014, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
              Welcome! There are all sorts here, I'm a Christian, and they keep me around...
              I need a Christian on hand to steal part of a soul from every couple weeks for use on my pizzas and keeping you around is easier than joining and subverting a more Christian oriented forum.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                I need a Christian on hand to steal part of a soul from every couple weeks for use on my pizzas and keeping you around is easier than joining and subverting a more Christian oriented forum.
                *backs away slowly 0_0 *
                *runs*
                *runs faster*
                *returns for Pizza, darn it*
                hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Working...
                X