Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you thank the gods for their blessings?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should you thank the gods for their blessings?

So I am a 16 year old male in the US and I have recently gotten big into Shintoism, I do worship very strangely compared to other adherents but my core beliefs remain the same. So a friend of mind, another pagan (heathen), told me I was weird for two reasons; I write my prayers and chants in the languages that the primary culture that worshiped the god I'm praying to, which I do mostly because it sounds cool and to respect the culture, and I also write prayers just to thank the gods. He thought that just making offerings to the gods was enough and that I did not need to offer my thanks, I thought it was strange of him to say but just wondering, do you guys think you should write prayers just to thank the gods for what they have given you?

Re: Should you thank the gods for their blessings?

Why not? It never hurts to thank your gods really.
    Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
      Why not? It never hurts to thank your gods really.
      At least I know someone else shares my opinion. I guess I feel the gratefulness is important from when I was younger at a Christian Church and we were taught to always thank god for what he had given us.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with thanking your gods. If you feel they influence your life in a positive way then by all means thank them. Gods (usually) have emotions just like people and appreciate the gratitude. It's a common practice to make extra offerings (or give an offering if you normally don't) when you want to ask for something then thank your god afterward. Then you might want to thank them again if you get what you asked for. If something particularly nice happens that you feel your god might be responsible for then thank them. It's polite.
        Circe

Comment

Working...
        X