Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Mother sets fire to her daughter's gloating rapist"

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
    We have systems in place for dealing with this kind of stuff for a reason, because emotions make us stupid. If you have a problem with the system, then try to make it better. We can't have people killing others in the streets because they feel like it.
    What happens when the system lets a rapist out on a three day pass? Can you tell me what then? Do we just say hello and walk on by? If we trust a system to do the right thing and it doesn't, who the hell is supposed to do the right thing?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      What happens when the system lets a rapist out on a three day pass?
      If they try anything report them to the authorities, otherwise avoid them/make it know they're prowling around. Simple. Brutally murdering them is not a reasonable solution to the problem.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

If you want to brutally murder someone who wronged you or yours in one of the worst ways possible, I can understand that just fine, but if you do so you are still a murderer.
        I never denied that she/I'd be a murderer. I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it though, and I hope she isn't.

We can't have people killing others in the streets because they feel like it.
        You act as if this was an every day thing for her, like she just "felt" like it. It wasn't about that clearly, they didn't mention it but I'm sure she didn't have a criminal record or at least not a violent one. This was an extreme act of random violence and harm towards her dependent, a defenseless child. She righted that wrong for herself by doing the same, only this time it was an extreme act of revengeful violence towards an adult criminal rapist who was gloating in her face.

About the black people lynching, I get that it was sick, wrong, and among the same lines of something I'd want to harm somebody for doing. But lets look at vigilantism "One who takes or advocates the taking of law enforcement into one's own hands." So if those black people were criminally responsible for something, even if it was at the time something like running from their slave master. (I disagree with slavery and it was disgusting, hear me out here.) they were still a criminal of the law at that time and the citizens given their moral code and rule of law at the time took care of justice. Yes it's a disgusting act and we see that now with our worldly education, equal rights and much more round and whole society. But if it was an act of vigilantism true to the definition the government would have gotten those same black people eventually.

You can say "That same X was used to do Y once!" for a lot of things. But the situations are vastly different as are the victims and what they are responsible for.
        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
        And planted firm Britannia's flag
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        And joined in love together,
        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

If they try anything report them to the authorities, otherwise avoid them/make it know they're prowling around. Simple. Brutally murdering them is not a reasonable solution to the problem.
          Apparently the authorities let him out on the pass!!!
          What are you not getting here?

I have to leave and go burn someone for a while. Be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            Apparently the authorities let him out on the pass!!!
            I don't know the specifics, but I assume the pass he was given doesn't make it so that he can go around committing crimes. If he does something illegal, or just makes a nuisance of himself, then the first thing you should do is report his ass to the authorities. If they don't do anything, then burn their asses to death because they're the real problem here.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Doc, please don't use that color font. Default changes colors based on theme so it's at least moderately visible everywhere. Whatever the heck you just chose can't be picked up without highlighting on the theme I'm using.

Membership in general, I'm not shifting to green text right now but be aware that I am monitoring this thread. If things become overly heated then I will show up in an official capacity.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I don't know the specifics, but I assume the pass he was given doesn't make it so that he can go around committing crimes. If he does something illegal, or just makes a nuisance of himself, then the first thing you should do is report his ass to the authorities. If they don't do anything, then burn their asses to death because they're the real problem here.
                I disagree. The FACT that he is out on a 3 day pass tells me everything I need to know about those particular 'authorities'. They have failed. No go. Burn burn.

Comment

Vigilantism, death penalty? Human bonfire... dead rapist.

I couldn't access the link but picked up the insult, I assume, that drove this woman over the edge and into charbroiled felon experiments. It sounds pretty tame, for an insult, if you ask me. Which, of course, nobody in their right mind would ever ask m about, knowing my fondness for the more vulgar side of language.

So, my reaction to the woman's reaction: Did she bring marshmallows?

I don't give a hoot about the lack of justice, that's not news to me. I don't care about the fight over what is and is not barbaric about social or cultural behaviors or treatment. I don't even care if this kid's mom, Mrs. Barbie Q., does time for cooking without a permit. I'm concerned about a 13 year old victim of rape. No more, no less.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I'll be personal here for a minute. One of my molesters was an adopted cousin. I was about 5. Actually a big blank spot in my memory because apparently my brain decided it was best for me not to know all the exact details of this crime.
                    Years later as a full grown adult, I was to visit my aunt. I was in the car and about to get out. It was a family gathering. I saw him. Saw him grown and immediately recognized his face. With his daughter. Strong me. Brave me. Tough as shit nails me. I froze in the car and wept like a child.

This man committed murder in my book. Part of me is dead. And if I saw him now I would burn him. With marshmallows. In a single heartbeat. And my mother? She would have burned him too. But I never told any of my family. Ever. I've said this before. When rapists leave their victims alive, expect to find them with these sort of hostile regards. If they don't like it, they should make sure to kill those they rape.

Comment

You know actually Medusa you just made me think of something...If a rapist would know (before the crime) that it was, lets say legal, for the family or the victim to go after him/her and kill them (or do whatever to them)....I think some of them, well a lot of them, would think twice before raping anyone. Hence no one wants an angry mob of people after their ass.

There use to be this sentence of the court back in the medieval days (in Europe) where one was named "Vogelfrei". This sentence meant you no longer fall under the justice system of anywhere, meaning whoever can do whatever they want to do to you...murder...rape...torture, etc. You would receive no help from anyone. It also came with a nice branding so everyone would know.

if that ^ was today's punishment, I swear 3/4 of these wackos who rape people just because, would think about it 10 times before doing it. Bottom line "we are too lenient!"

Comment

^Except we know that if we punish them too much it just encourages them to escalate infinitely. If their life is ruined either way, why not rape twenty more women and torture them to death while your at it?

Comment

^Except we know that if we punish them too much it just encourages them to escalate infinitely. If their life is ruined either way, why not rape twenty more women and torture them to death while your at it?
                          I know! Leave them to the proper authorities! And they will lock them up...or...you know...let them go on their way for a break from jail.

Got it. ::

Comment

If you don't like the way that the authorities conduct their business, then take it up with them. That's just how things work.

The rapist in question served seven years out of his nine year sentence, I assume that she would be just as upset two years later. You could certainly say that his sentence was too light, but the pass isn't as big a deal as is being made out. He would be free two years later regardless.

The authorities weren't doing anything I'd consider egregiously wrong. The rapist should have kept his damn mouth shut, and preferably stayed the hell away from the family. Perhaps the family should have been notified, I don't know if they were or not, and given time to file for a restraining order... if that's a thing they do in Spain.

Comment

When its a rape conviction that scum better serve every last second of his sentence, whether its 2 days or 25 years. Two years does matter in any sentence, that's a lot of time he should have spent in the big house. Just bring him here and put him in general population, prisoners would have him worked out real quick as soon as they learnt he was in for raping a 13 year old girl.
                              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                              sigpic
                              In Days of yore,
                              From Britain's shore
                              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                              And planted firm Britannia's flag
                              On Canada's fair domain.
                              Here may it wave,
                              Our boast, our pride
                              And joined in love together,
                              The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                              The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
                                You know actually Medusa you just made me think of something...If a rapist would know (before the crime) that it was, lets say legal, for the family or the victim to go after him/her and kill them (or do whatever to them)....I think some of them, well a lot of them, would think twice before raping anyone. Hence no one wants an angry mob of people after their ass.

There use to be this sentence of the court back in the medieval days (in Europe) where one was named "Vogelfrei". This sentence meant you no longer fall under the justice system of anywhere, meaning whoever can do whatever they want to do to you...murder...rape...torture, etc. You would receive no help from anyone. It also came with a nice branding so everyone would know.

if that ^ was today's punishment, I swear 3/4 of these wackos who rape people just because, would think about it 10 times before doing it. Bottom line "we are too lenient!"
                                I would totally 100% be behind this if we lived in a black and white world with no ambiguity or bias or confusion, where false accusations and mixups and institutional problems never happen, but we don't live in that world. It's one thing for a mother to go out and ensure that justice is done on an individual level when the authorities fail her, it's an entire other thing to put that in place as some kind of official institution. The risk of mistakes being made increases exponentially when you move from an individual level to the level of organizations and institutions (god, I sound like a libertarian).

I would totally support drastically increasing prison sentences for violent rape and pedophilia (the speed with which some of them get out of jail is sickening), but if the thought of decades - life in prison doesn't discourage someone from raping, then I doubt anything else will. Some people are just screwed in the head and need to be kept out of society.

Comment

Working...
                                X