This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saami Shamanism Recognized as a Religion by Norway

This article is nearly two years old, but it's the first I've seen of it, and good news for a change...

I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Re: Saami Shamanism Recognized as a Religion by Norway

This is great. But...

Unfortunately, this perpetuates the idea that 'Shamanism' is a religion, which is not true.

What the Sami traditionally practice is a religion with key shamanic elements specific to their cultural context. Not 'Shamanism'.

So I'm torn about this. On one hand it's great that the Sami in Norway have been recognised in this way (I don't know whether it's the same in Finland, Sweden and Russia, where there are also Sami people). But on the other hand media coverage like this shows a fundamental lack of understanding about their practices and religion, and perpetuates an inaccuracy that is likely to facilitate even more culturally appropriative pagans and core shamanists who claim that 'Shamanism' is their religion.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking along similar lines while reading the article. I rather doubt that the author knows the difference, but I think it just basically meant that the Saami in Norway are 'officially' cleared to practice their indigenous, pre-Christian belief system. People outside the Pagan community (and, frankly, many within it) don't know/care about the various nuances; after all we're all Wiccans, right?
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I agree with both of you here - none of it's likely to be very accurate, but seeing the Saami being recognised is just NICE in general.

And Merry Meet to you Rick :P
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment