Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chickadee's Dog Thread

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Chickadee's Dog Thread

My munchkin is looking to be a dog-mommy. It isn't happening for a while, but in the meantime, she wants to learn about the different kids of dogs and their personalities.

So share your stories (and pictures)!!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jan 2014
    Religion
    evolving

Re: Chickadee's Dog Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1097460_10151692146813369_1226580209_n.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	2756

Behold! Gary the Snail the Dog, as named by my littlest one, Toodles.

He is a Chi-weenie, a mix of Chihuahua and Dachshund. They are little bundles of energy for sure. But Gary is very smart and very loving. Sometimes his intelligence comes across as very poor behaviors, when he grew to full size he was able to leap onto my kitchen counter and table like a cat, but like all pets he had learned this is a HUGE no-no. This is my first time with a small dog but since we have an apartment it felt right for our space.

Gary Pros:
    Very loving and affectionate.
    Loves to play with the kids.
    Can appreciate lounging on the couch with mommy.
    Fast learner.
    Moderately, borderline extremely, quiet. He only barks at the doorbell.
    Super cute, I mean, look at him!

Cons of having a Gary:
    Fast learning means he also finds new things to try out, which means I'm constantly having to intervene and teach him whether or not his new behavior/activity/chew toy is acceptable. (He doesn't chew on many things though)
    He naturally has the anxiety both parent dogs breed carry and can be very distressed if left alone for a while. He usually cries when I go to work, but My SO says he only does it for a few minutes now.
    Is rather skittery around new people.
    I'm unsure if it's just him or if many small dogs are Like this, but his nails grow so fast. I clip them very frequently so that he cannot scratch the kids when they play.
    He can be easily excited, which means tons of piddle spots. I thought he would grow out of this, not so much... I'm sure this is tied to his nerves as well.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    My munchkin is looking to be a dog-mommy. It isn't happening for a while, but in the meantime, she wants to learn about the different kids of dogs and their personalities.

So share your stories (and pictures)!!
    I don't own a dog, but I literally have a trillion stories about dogs. And being an experienced and qualified Vet Nurse I also know a great deal about dogs, dog breeds, health concerns, personality concerns and what may or may not suit a particular family.

So... I am probably more helpful as a source to answer specific questions about specific things or to make suggestions based on Chickadee's (and your) preferences. Let me know if you want that, else I'll accidentally end up spamming your thread with my thoughts.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

I've had a few dogs. Pitbull. Rotty and a beautiful German Shepard. They are all excellent dogs for families. But I'm betting that't not what you want! How much will you be doing the major exercise, training and feeding?
    Also I found some cool links. Hope it helps:
    http://www.sheknows.com/pets-and-ani...reeds-for-kids
    http://animal.discovery.com/pets/10-...small-dogs.htm

Rule of thumb: Big dogs need lots of exercise. And not the slow walk to go potty outside for 20 minutes. But on a leash while you pedal a bike etc.

Small dogs need lots of mind games. Hide and seek of items. Fetching. Finding food. They are small but wicked smaaat (Afleck accent )

And I would say go to a pound. But first dogs for kids you might want to think of a breeder. I would also investigate any pure bred dog. I just watched a sad documentary on what happens medically to pure bred dogs now. So many issues with force mutations etc.

Also Cesar Milan does an excellent video on youtube about raising a good puppy from the start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANpMApPnWCM
    Satan is my spirit animal

Jun 2013
    Religion

Whatever you do, DO NOT take advice from Cesar Milan.

Some of what he says is legit. Most of it is good old fashioned emotional and physical abuse. If you saw what he did off camera you'd cry.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Whatever you do, DO NOT take advice from Cesar Milan.

Some of what he says is legit. Most of it is good old fashioned emotional and physical abuse. If you saw what he did off camera you'd cry.
    Such as? I'm a fan of his. But I'm open minded to this. My ex was and is a dog trainer specializing in security type dogs. Hence why we had the dogs I mentioned. Pretty much how he works with the dogs is the way we did as well. Well we also use to smack our pitbull with a 2 by 4. But that was because she loved it so much. She was solid muscle! Then again my cat did kick her ass.

Jun 2006
    Religion
    Hedge Pantheism
    Phrase
    Whatever satisfies the soul is the truth

I have two dogs -- a lab/retriever/sheltie mix and a lab/chow mix.

These are the only two I've ever had. Labs are smart and want to make you happy. Maybe they are common, but I think there's good reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10428.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	2760  

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I have a chow-based mix. They are great dogs, very loyal, but also very territorial. Maybe not the best breed for kids, though.

But look up pictures of "panda chows." They look exactly like panda bears. K'Roe would get one, but I like dogs that look like dogs.

Labs are wonderful though, and so are golden retrievers. Phenomenal pets... They quickly become family.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Jun 2013
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Such as? I'm a fan of his. But I'm open minded to this. My ex was and is a dog trainer specializing in security type dogs. Hence why we had the dogs I mentioned. Pretty much how he works with the dogs is the way we did as well. Well we also use to smack our pitbull with a 2 by 4. But that was because she loved it so much. She was solid muscle! Then again my cat did kick her ass.
    Twenty years ago it was acceptable to physically hit dogs, to choke them, to pin them to the ground, to put spiked collars on them, to 'dominate' them and show them who was 'leader' through physical abuse and to generally beat them into submission until they do what they are told because they are frightened of the consequences.

It's not acceptable anymore.

It's NOT okay to choke a dog until it turns blue. It's NOT okay to hold a dog up off the ground by it's lead until it passes out. It's NOT okay to continuously beat a 'problem' dog until it's will is broken.

Our understanding of dogs has evolved a great deal in the past twenty years. We now know that they do not form pack hierarchies similar to wolves. They don't have alpha dogs. They have complex and changing social hierarchies within fluid groups that are based on the needs of the current group. They also respond to positive reinforcement and consistent boundaries a great deal better than they do to physical punishment. They experience anxiety and phobias. They experience physical and emotional pain. There are better ways to do things now days.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Are you saying Milan hits and chokes dogs till they are blue? I'm not sure where that is coming from. I'll ask again. What information do you have about Milan that is different then what he teaches? If you have it, I'd love to know. I wouldn't like someone at all who did that.

EDIT. Wait, You aren't referring to me are you? If you are, please don't worry. I would never hit an animal. Only small children.